Best American Center Right Now

Who is the best American center right now?

• Total voters

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Doesn’t having
Tavares help Matthews, because Tavares takes harder minutes and matchups, which frees up AM for a more offensively minded role?
Eichel is taking on everything.
Matthews is at almost 70% o zone starts with only about 30% d zone.
Tavares is at 64% d zone starts, so he’s (a great player) taking really hard minutes from AM

Eichel is at 58% o zone and 42% d zone.
And who is the Sabre centre that takes that burden of playing the hard minutes, like Tavares does for Matthews?
I would have expected a bigger jump in the standings with adding Tavares and the breakout year Marner had, for sure.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The full season isn’t even over yet, you’re setting awful specific criteria. I wonder why?

No you are. Strange how YOU didn't mention the date. YOU didn't say this was a 1/2 season review-which it is.
What's your agenda?
Not a full season, anyway you slice it-there is no doubt that December playoff team Sabres Jack Eichel would be better.
As time went on, the normal trend took place.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews is a better goal scorer but a guy like Eichel can take over a game in more ways. And I’d rather have my centres setting up others and making everyone around them better than just scoring goals

Odd post. Matthews was closer in assists to Eichel than Eichel was to Matthews in goals.

Matthews scoring goals with a wicked shot doesn’t make his teammates better by getting them assists, yet Eichel giving them a pass to potentially score makes them better. LOL.

I guess you’d also rather have your centre be below average on face offs and questionable on defense like Eichel too.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
No you are. Strange how YOU didn't mention the date. YOU didn't say this was a 1/2 season review-which it is.
What's your agenda?
Not a full season, anyway you slice it-there is no doubt that December playoff team Sabres Jack Eichel would be better.
As time went on, the normal trend took place.
I said no LEGIT hockey mind's analysis has Eichel ahead. Whatever you posted was not legit.

:)
What I posted was from TSN. Give me a break.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Anyone find Matthews v Eichel PK minutes from 2019/20? All I can find is Eichel had a short handed goal.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Reactions: Luckylarry

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Nobody has ever been convinced of anything on these forums with advanced stats.

So I changed my vote to Larkin just to piss off both Matthews and Eichel supporters.

You guys are too triggered.

This is a thread on a hockey forum on the internet. You guys doing the statistical models of research, and digging into advanced metrics, need to take a breath.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
What I posted was from TSN. Give me a break.

They only used stats from THIS year.

Obviously, Matthews is the better Centre. Look at all four years he's been in the league. He blows Eichel away if you don't cherry pick ONE season's stats. That article is garbage. Hell, even if you use this season's stats only, it's super arguable. :)

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
They only used stats from THIS year.

Obviously, Matthews is the better Centre. Look at all four years he's been in the league. He blows Eichel away if you don't cherry pick ONE season's stats. That article is garbage. Hell, even if you use this season's stats only, it's super arguable. :)

Not even the entire year, hell not even a half a year. As I said no doubt John was better, with a team playing better at that
period. Eventually this all changed.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would have expected a bigger jump in the standings with adding Tavares and the breakout year Marner had, for sure.
Since Toronto went 0-2 in the shootout that season and not 7-2 like they did 1 year before, that's partially why they didn't jump any higher in the standings despite not falling in the standings. Plus they were also unlucky not to have caught Boston who had winning streaks of 7 in a row and 6 in a row, which explains why they finished 7 points behind them in the Atlantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad