Music: Best Albums Of 2023

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Definitely not Metallica's 72 Seasons or Avenged Sevenfold's Life Is But A Dream.

If you told me in 2016 that follow ups to both their albums that year would be terrible, I would not believe you.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
This new bar italia album has some potential. Sounds great on first listen, they seem a bit like Sorry but maybe more consistent and with better instrumentation. Also three singers I think instead of two.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
10 albums I love from the first half of the year:

Yaeji - With a Hammer
Mandy, Indiana - I've Seen a Way
Black Belt Eagle Scout - The Land, The Water, The Sky
billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps
Model/Actriz - Dogsbody
Panchiko - Failed at Math(s)
Margo Price - Strays
Ben Folds - What Matters Most
(just came out on Friday!)
Yves Tumor - Praise a Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy

Hasn't been a great year for the 'big releases' - only one I've really enjoyed was Lana Del Rey. But it has been a (surprisingly) strong year for Indie Rock/Pop

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
New King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, PetroDragonic Apocalypse, sounds like a monster. Comes out next week, two tracks have been released so far.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I find it insane that this has yet to be posted in here - their best work and best album of the year by quite a bit so far IMO. Nadja and Meshuggah are the bee's knees

Half Moon Run dropped their 4th full length a couple weeks ago too, don't think they get a ton of love outside of Canada but they are an unbelievable band with gorgeous harmonies - I've already seen a bunch of love for the National in here and they're far from the same but if you like that style you'll probably dig HMR

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Its an EP of covers but far and away my favorite of the year is Motorhead's Enter Sandman EP. A pleasant surprise to get a "new" release from Motorhead with Lemmy passed on.

It includes 5 covers including Metallica's Enter Sandman and Thin Lizzy's Rosalie. I cant stop playing this one.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
New King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, PetroDragonic Apocalypse, sounds like a monster. Comes out next week, two tracks have been released so far.
This album is indeed a monster. Phenomenal drumming.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Tubs' debut album is okay. There's not much good jangle pop these days so by that standard I don't mind it and it's only half an hour long which is nice.

Bored to tears with most of the new Sigur Ros album, not really for me anymore.

Bar Italia grew on me but I'm still not a fan of the vocals, asides from that it's probably the best one.

Hoping The Hives can come in and save the year.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
10 albums I love from the first half of the year:

Yaeji - With a Hammer
Mandy, Indiana - I've Seen a Way
Black Belt Eagle Scout - The Land, The Water, The Sky
billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps
Model/Actriz - Dogsbody
Panchiko - Failed at Math(s)
Margo Price - Strays
Ben Folds - What Matters Most
(just came out on Friday!)
Yves Tumor - Praise a Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy

Hasn't been a great year for the 'big releases' - only one I've really enjoyed was Lana Del Rey. But it has been a (surprisingly) strong year for Indie Rock/Pop
Ah, a fellow Folds-man. Yeah I enjoyed the new album as well.

You ever listen to Darren Jessee's stuff? His latest "Central Bridge" came out a few months ago. Real easy-going vibe with strong melodies and well thought-out lyrics.

Reactions: Saturated Fats

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

Great song that will be picked up by a car or major corporation for a commercial within the next few months no doubt.

The whole album is great -takes you back to a long lost era. Closest comparison I can think of is Joanna Newsom, but it’s just the vocal delivery. No harp. Great songwriting though.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m feeling a little underwhelmed by the musical output this year. I’ve found some things I like but generally not loving anything that I’ve heard so far aside from a handful of songs. Definitely no albums on the whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad