Music: Best Albums Of 2023

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Interested in Ladytron, DMA'S, Gaz Coombes, Inhaler, The Murder Capital, and The WAEVE. Not quite sure who else is releasing tbh, when you get to a point where you listen to too many bands then someone's always releasing something so they just come as pleasant little surprises.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'd disagree I haven't gone back to the previous National album at all. They seem like a band that's past their peak and are now relying on collaborations to maybe boost them up. I don't think any of the ones made the songs on the previous album any better.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Thanks for mentioning this, I'm gonna check it out when I can.
I know this is going back 30 years, but I still like The End Complete.
Their first two albums are far and away my favorite. Seems most old school death metal bands that my favorite is their first albums, lots of which are considered all time classics in the genre.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd disagree I haven't gone back to the previous National album at all. They seem like a band that's past their peak and are now relying on collaborations to maybe boost them up. I don't think any of the ones made the songs on the previous album any better.

I loved the last album.

"Where is Her Head?" is one of the best songs they've ever done.
Pull of You is awesome, love the spoken word.
I Am Easy to Find is absolutely gorgeous.

Quiet Light, So Far So Fast, etc. are good cuts as well.

There were some weaker songs, more than maybe previous records.. but it's also 16 tracks long and it wasn't that far after the previous album.

Sleemans

Sleep Well Beast
Oct 4, 2003
Kingston,Ontario
Visit site
Boxer, High Violet and Alligator are definitely the peak for me. I liked Trouble Will Find Me but not as much as those three, and Sleep Well Beast and I Am Easy To Find have each been weaker than albums before them.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not a ton that has been announced which have caught my eye, but there are a few. Stoked on:

Danny Brown
Fever Ray
Gorillaz
Yo La Tengo
Excited for the Danny Brown. It's been delayed a few times.

Yo La Tengo are one of those bands that are quietly awesome. Just go about their business releasing great music.

Gorillaz....lost track. They've had so many duds since Plastic Beach but also some cool stuff. I can't keep up with them anymore.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I didn't like all the extra vocals on I Am Easy To Find but it worked live.

Speaking of which:

Reactions: belair

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Boygenius released some songs. Two of the three I liked.

And I really enjoyed Wednesday - chosen to deserve

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
'boygenius' has appeared in my youtube suggestions lately. Here is a new video on the subject which sums up my thoughts:

Also the new We Are Scientists is very good

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Their first two albums are far and away my favorite. Seems most old school death metal bands that my favorite is their first albums, lots of which are considered all time classics in the genre.
Thanks again for mentioning the new Obituary (Dying of Everything). I wanted to show 'em some love, and help their bottom line in a small way, so I bought it on CD. It's good from start to finish, they haven't fallen off much in 30+ years.

That said, they don't make CDs like they used to.. Used to be you'd practically get a novel packed with the disc. Booklet with lyrics, band photos, artwork, long thank yous to everyone involved. This had a single fold-out page with band member names. Different times..

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Thanks again for mentioning the new Obituary (Dying of Everything). I wanted to show 'em some love, and help their bottom line in a small way, so I bought it on CD. It's good from start to finish, they haven't fallen off much in 30+ years.

That said, they don't make CDs like they used to.. Used to be you'd practically get a novel packed with the disc. Booklet with lyrics, band photos, artwork, long thank yous to everyone involved. This had a single fold-out page with band member names. Different times..
You might like this book on Obituary. I got it and it is outstanding. All the background on the band you can want

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
90 in April but Willie Nelson has a new one coming out, a tribute to his old friend and being released on the 21st anniversary of Howard's death.

I Don't Know A Thing About Love: The Songs of Harlan Howard is the 73rd solo studio album by Willie Nelson, to be released on March 3, 2023. Produced by Buddy Cannon, the album is a tribute to the songwriter Harlan Howard.

Metallica 72 seasons
Smashing Pumpkins which I find have been hit or miss for some time now. Atum is the new one.

Dave Matthews Band: Walk Around the Moon a name i have not heard in a long time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad