Music: Best Albums Of 2023

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I've listened to three so far:

Ladytron - Time's Arrow (synthrock in line with the rest of their stuff with a few very catchy songs)
dEUS - How To Replace It (comeback album from Belgian band, catchy but very mixed)
The WAEVE - The WAEVE (now this is interesting, album from project between Graham Coxon of Blur and Rose Elinor Dougall who's one of my favourite British solo songwriters today. I guess it'd be called art rock but fairly accessible).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
With Q1 coming to a close, I'd say the following three have made my list

Kelela-Raven
Caroline Polachek-Desire, I Want To Turn Into You
Haken-Fauna

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Looking forward to the new M83. Really hope he doesn't go "subgenre" again and just does the thing he does best, but hasn't done in a decade. The one song I've heard from it made me optimistic and I hope that optimism isn't misplaced.

That said, the albums I'm looking forward to most are Depeche Mode's Momento Mori and the debut Lies record.

Also, Boygenius, Protomartyr, and Jason Isbell are on my short list.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Sleep Token
NF
Dream Theater (more likely 2024?)
Arjen Lucassen

After hearing Lux Aeterna, I was really excited for the new Metallica release... but the last two singles for me have been very meh. I will still give the release some spins but my optimism has evaporated.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Caroline Rose's new album 'The Art of Forgetting' comes out tomorrow. Looking forward to it, I've loved every track released so far

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Aussie shoegaze/indie pop band that released a pretty decent sophomore album a couple years ago put out their 3rd and it's my favourite so far from the year I think edging that Radio Supernova one from last month.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eucalyptus by The National might be one of their best songs. I like Tropic Morning News as well, New Order T-Shirt is fine.

So I'm very intrigued for the rest of the album, especially since there's 2 Phoebe Bridgers features, a Sufjan Stevens feature and a Taylor Swift feature.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Caroline Rose's new album 'The Art of Forgetting' comes out tomorrow. Looking forward to it, I've loved every track released so far

I’ve found reactions to this a bit curious. Seems it not what people were expecting so they aren’t as keen on it.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So far, what I've really enjoyed this year:

Hellripper - Withered Hags and Warlocks Grim
Lamp of Murmuur - Saturnian Bloodstorm
Spirit Possession - Of the Sign...
Tribunal - The Weight of Remembrance

I'm looking forward to the new Smoulder album Violent Creed of Vengeance, based on the prereleased tracks. I haven't checked out the new Ahab album The Coral Tombs beyond a prereleased track.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
3 albums I was interested to hear today.

Ellie Goulding's "Higher than Heaven"
- I've always been a fan of Ellie, I found her sound to be unique when she first burst onto the music scene. That with her special singing voice and ability to build addictive hooks, made pop-synth worth spending time to listen to. This album, however, is pretty much purely a dance record and she doesn't stray too far outside of those constraints so it hits more like a straight pop/dance record. In the end, I only found 5 songs that were really worth re-visiting and the rest would be filler for the die hard fan to keep around.

Highlights: Midnight Dreams, By the end of the Night, Waiting for It, How Long and Tastes Like You.

I'd say it is probably the worst Ellie Goulding album in her discography. But not a bad album overall.

Lights' "Ded" - This is a re-imagination of her most recent release "Pep", turning all of those high energy songs into stripped down, stretched out, total moods. Pep was such an incredible album and while I would say it would be hard to digest Ded from front to back other than in chill moods, a sex playlist, etc. it is truly a very beautiful album. What strikes me about Lights is just how much she's evolved not only as an artist (musically and visually), but how she's transformed herself into a really, really good singer. Only a couple of the re-imaginations didn't grab me and the fun thing is that some of my least favorites on Pep are my favorites on this version. Grip slays both ways, though.

Highlights: Grip, Prodigal Daughter and Beside Myself.

Daughter "Stereo Mind Game" - It's been a wait since the last Daughter release and even then it was their sound-track to 'Life is Strange', while a good album, it was not as realized as an album vs. a soundtrack.. so I've been waiting for this for awhile now. Elena is one of the most beautiful singers that you'll find out in music right now. While the 3 singles "Be On Your Way", "Party" and "Swimback" were really good songs, I was a little hesitant that the singles didn't showcase a song that I thought was unbelievable. Thankfully, the songs they didn't showcase were absolutely gorgeous and incredible. They approached this album from different angles around a central theme and their creativity, layering, and piecing of different introduced parts altogether at different moments was truly mind blowing. This is legitimately one of the best albums released in a long time.

Highlights: Neptune, Junkmail, Future Lover and To Rage. Though literally the whole album is a highlight.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Wednesday - Rat Saw God

My album of the year. This will be top 3 on many end of year lists this year.

Huge, thundering record, and the next big band in the indie world. I haven’t been floored by an album like this since 2014 when the War on Drugs dropped Lost in the dream.

The last 2:30 of “bull believer” is my favorite two and a half mins of music released this year, but the whole song is a build up to it. Incredible, just incredible.

Reactions: Senscore

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Record by boygenius was really good but man..

Portals by Melanie Martinez is f***ing incredible.
Thanks for this. I had no idea who she was and this fulfills my main purpose for coming to the Entertainment section of HF, to learn about new music (99% of my friends are in the beginning phases of parent phase and don't listen to active music anymore).

I think she's really interesting in the Bjork meets FKA Twigs meets Nine Inch Nails meets modern pop music kind of way.

I don't want to label her as the future of music, but I can definitely see her in that 2009-214 Janelle Monae role (before she became more of an actress/entertainer and the quality of her music deteriorated IMHO): someone making pop music that is very artst/conceptual/challenging and can cross between mainstream and indie weirdness.

Kali Uchis is someone else who interests me as a performer/songwriter.

Wednesday - Rat Saw God

Huge, thundering record, and the next big band in the indie world. I haven’t been floored by an album like this since 2014 when the War on Drugs dropped Lost in the dream.

The last 2:30 of “bull believer” is my favorite two and a half mins of music released this year, but the whole song is a build up to it. Incredible, just incredible.

Yeah this band's like the 2023 version of Yard Act. They have a lot of word of mouth/press so far.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Went for a walk this morning and listened to the new Feist album, Multitudes. Was great - In Lightning and Borrowed Trouble were the standouts to me.

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Wednesday - Rat Saw God

You consider that music??

Reactions: Thucydides

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
New Depeche Mode is great. Reminds me a bit of their latter day (Post-Exciter) sound with elements of Some Great Reward. It's definitely got some darker elements, even for Depeche Mode. My Favorite Stranger is a highlight for me.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Wednesday - Rat Saw God

This f***ing RULES. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for somebody actively trying to create dissonance while still managing elements of a song. It reminds me a LOT of Sonic Youth and that's, from my perspective PERFECT.

Reactions: Thucydides

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
This f***ing RULES. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for somebody actively trying to create dissonance while still managing elements of a song. It reminds me a LOT of Sonic Youth and that's, from my perspective PERFECT.

Yeah - it’s wicked! I love the chaos , the beauty that can be found in it. These guys nailed it! The first time I listened to it was with headphones and it was hair raising.

You consider that music??

It’s admittedly not for everybody, I just love when a band can capture beauty amidst chaos .

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Look at the tat you get when you buy The National's new album:

1682703546124.png

• Love
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
New album by Spotlights came out today. They combine metal and shoegaze with dreamy vocals.

Fange, a French metal band released something new recently.

Sparks have a new album out in May.

Blood Ceremony, a great prog metal band that basically fuses Sabbath and Jethro Tull have a new album out next week.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's good.

Excellent album.

Definitely one of their strongest releases in years. Doesn't have a bad song on the whole album and the only thing you could nitpick is that it doesn't have a lot of up tempo or energetic songs on it - but that's what tends to happen with bands as they mature and get older. The other nitpick, on my end, is the songs with Phoebe Bridgers could have showcased her a bit more the way that Alcott more heavily featured Taylor Swift.

Top 3 songs:
The Alcott (Feat. Taylor Swift)
Eucalyptus
Alien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad