Confirmed with Link: Berube Relieved Of His Coaching Duties And The Search For A New Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
we all know that in 10 years Zac Rinaldo will be the new head coach, so why wait? make Rinny coach tomorrow! what could possibly go wrong

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Is zero on the good side or the bad side for sarcasm?

bad

Im younger than nearly the entire team, but I do have extensive experience playing NHL99 for N64 when I was a kid.

You're hired!

Promoting from within would be awful. I don't want Murray. After that it's what, Murphy, Lappy (the one guy with less experience than Berube, also absurd that he's an NHL assistant right now), or Cote (Who is basically Berube a few years ago and is too busy chugging hemp smoothies).

The rumors of Babcock wanting a large amount of control overlapping into GM duties have me concerned. I'm not sure I want that. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm worried about his attachment to terrible players. Cleary is the clear example there, and that's at least understandable since Cleary was in Detroit playing for Babcock for a while, and he played very well in the past. Our garbage players are guys he has no attachment or bias towards, in theory.

I guess I'm 50/50 on Babcock. If it's between him and Berube the choice is easy though.

Yeah it would be awful. I have been against Murray coaching the Flyers ever since he was hired for the Phantoms. Hextall has waited for the GM gig with a NHL team for quite awhile and I cannot see him relinquishing that role. If Babcock wanted to come here and coach the team and let Hextall continue with his role then I am all in for that. But like I have said in prior posts I just cannot see him leaving Detroit. he has a good thing going there and everyone from ownership on down knows it. Its not like the ownership group in Detroit is hurting for money anyway. I think he gets extended this summer.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I like Tippett, I'de be ok with Babcock but I would rather him sign in Detroit and see if they can't get Jeff Blashill out of Grand Rapids. Those would be my top 3, but I think anybody who can organize an effective forecheck and breakout is going to be a remarkable improvement on what we have today.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I dislike Berube as much as anyone, but just to play devil's advocate:

- He has a winning record
- He has gotten most out of Schultz, MDZ, VV, Voracek and PEB
- Hextall knows the roster given to him isn't great

I honestly won't be surprised if he is not fired.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They've been holding onto their Coaches too long in their past, hoping for turnaround that never came.

Hextall seems to be a GM who likes to plan it all through. He probably already has a plan who to put in that position.
I find it hard to believe that Hextall would start next season with a Coach he is not fully comitted to or whom he would not trust to develop the prospects coming up the next couple of years.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
we talk about babcock a lot, but what about one of his assistant coaches? they've had to learn a thing or two from him, no? would be kind of similar to the sixers hiring brett brown who once worked under greg popovich or the texans hiring bill o'brien who used to work under belichick.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Neither one of these things are because of him, they're in spite of him.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010

Neither one of these things are because of him, they're in spite of him.

That and as bad as this roster is, with even slightly better coaching, is a playoff team.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Babcock, tippett either would be lovely. What is the status on a coach we had years ago, getting ready to take over the Kings at some point, former flyers coach, John Stevens. If hexy likes him, then why not.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Guy Boucher - probably spelled it wrong but no time to look up spelling.

The guy who coached in Tampa with the scare face.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
Guy Boucher - probably spelled it wrong but no time to look up spelling.

The guy who coached in Tampa with the scare face.

Watch out, i suggested this before and no one likes this idea. I think he would have been great for the team right after Pronger's career ended. Its amazing what the guy did with a top pairing defense of essentially a 18-19 year old Hedman- and Kubina. But a lot of people believe his style is typical junior gimmicky, and only focus on the hardcore trap they played against us that one game...

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
That and as bad as this roster is, with even slightly better coaching, is a playoff team.

I don't think the coach really matters. There are probably better options than Berube but I don't think it helps as much as everyone thinks. Even Babcock doesn't make Philly a playoff team let alone a cup contender with the roster as constructed. Best case scenario, you're looking at a 3 year window before they even become competitive. Then another 2-4 before they can possibly be considered a cup contender.

The Flyers are in a rebuild without strictly saying so. Not just with the NHL roster but the organization as a whole. A massive structural change of that nature takes years and is done bottom up. Hextall will make changes to the AHL/ECHL levels and player development while slower gradual changes take place with the NHL roster and team as a whole (coaches, staff, scouts, ect...), some of which we have seen already.

The likes of Detroit, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Boston/Vancouver to an extent, and the emerging Lightning, have spent years not just building a good NHL team but have near perfected an organization that supports the style and philosophy of the team itself. Building an effective roster is the result of the work behind the scenes at the end of the day, not what comes first.

Talent is not all there is when it comes to hockey. Edmonton is the perfect example of immense talent without and structural support. Yes, part of the coaches job is to synergize it's roster in the best way possible, but that's not an objective thing. Worse yet, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole without encountering difficulties. Philly doesn't have just one of those but 4 or 5. No coach is gonna fix a problem like that.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Our new head coach should be this guy

David-Boreanaz-Fox-Upfront-2008-david-boreanaz-1331798-1067-1600.jpg

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I wouldn't be totally against Boucher. For all those about to crucify 1-3-1, Boucher had an interview in French (maybe with RDS?) where he said he ran it out of necessity with the personnel he had, not because it's his "thing."

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Watch out, i suggested this before and no one likes this idea. I think he would have been great for the team right after Pronger's career ended. Its amazing what the guy did with a top pairing defense of essentially a 18-19 year old Hedman- and Kubina. But a lot of people believe his style is typical junior gimmicky, and only focus on the hardcore trap they played against us that one game...

Except for the fact that he ran a 0-5 for an entire season.

I don't think the coach really matters. There are probably better options than Berube but I don't think it helps as much as everyone thinks. Even Babcock doesn't make Philly a playoff team let alone a cup contender with the roster as constructed. Best case scenario, you're looking at a 3 year window before they even become competitive. Then another 2-4 before they can possibly be considered a cup contender.

The Flyers are in a rebuild without strictly saying so. Not just with the NHL roster but the organization as a whole. A massive structural change of that nature takes years and is done bottom up. Hextall will make changes to the AHL/ECHL levels and player development while slower gradual changes take place with the NHL roster and team as a whole (coaches, staff, scouts, ect...), some of which we have seen already.

The likes of Detroit, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Boston/Vancouver to an extent, and the emerging Lightning, have spent years not just building a good NHL team but have near perfected an organization that supports the style and philosophy of the team itself. Building an effective roster is the result of the work behind the scenes at the end of the day, not what comes first.

Talent is not all there is when it comes to hockey. Edmonton is the perfect example of immense talent without and structural support. Yes, part of the coaches job is to synergize it's roster in the best way possible, but that's not an objective thing. Worse yet, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole without encountering difficulties. Philly doesn't have just one of those but 4 or 5. No coach is gonna fix a problem like that.

Babcock took an injury depleted team full of AHL call-ups to the playoffs last year. Coaching can absolutely minimize talents issues. Babcock wouldn't make this roster a cup winner, but we would be much closer to the playoffs (if not in them) with him behind the bench.

Edmonton is not an immensely talented roster with no structural support. Our roster has holes. Edmonton still needs half a roster of NHL talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad