Injury Report: Bertuzzi in Covid protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
My argument to that premise is we’re not privy to the information between Bertuzzi and his PCP. We don’t know if that information could impact’s hockey career or post retirement, therefore, I don’t label him as “selfish” because you’re making an assumption.

I always find this an unusually strange stance because it usually involves a player leaving money on the table or playing through injuries that could impact them long term (eg Mule, Hank). “Do it for the greater good” - Some Cult Member. At least I’m honest saying yeah, I wish he’d get the prick so he’d be on the ice for my entertainment because I like watching him out there being a force. It’s also ironic to call Bert “selfish” when he is one of the guys that gives it his all every time he’s on the ice or sticking up for his teammates. This isn’t a coasting Mo.

There are 900 players that will likely play at least 1 NHL game this year. 899 have gotten the vaccine. 0 of them have had any side effects that have caused them to not be able to play ever again. In the risk table for NHL players this doesn't even make the list.

Reactions: jaster

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
My argument to that premise is we’re not privy to the information between Bertuzzi and his PCP. We don’t know if that information could impact’s hockey career or post retirement, therefore, I don’t label him as “selfish” because you’re making an assumption.

I always find this an unusually strange stance because it usually involves a player leaving money on the table or playing through injuries that could impact them long term (eg Mule, Hank). “Do it for the greater good” At least I’m honest saying yeah, I wish he’d get the prick so he’d be on the ice for my entertainment because I like watching him out there being a force. It’s also ironic to call Bert “selfish” when he is one of the guys that gives it his all every time he’s on the ice or sticking up for his teammates. This isn’t a coasting Mo.

Firstly, you're actively steering this into a debate about public health measures vs personal freedoms. I will respond to you as well as I can under the rules, but mods if you think it's too far, no hard feelings about deleting this.

Here is the information I have about Tyler Bertuzzi: he is a 26 year old professional athlete with no known (by me) history of a serious illness or other condition. He supports a political entity that has disparaged vaccines and their safety in the past.

I am making assumptions based on that information. I think that the assumption I am making is very safe, and if you have a problem with making any assumption, I would like to point out that we make assumptions all the time. For example, just because Earth's gravity has attracted me to its surface for my entire life, does not mean that it will continue to do so. Thus each day that I fail to tether myself to the planet with a rope is a day that I make an assumption. I am making an assumption that the observed laws of the universe will continue to behave as they have thus far. It's a safe assumption based on the information provided.

The assumption I'm making about Tyler is definitely less safe, but still more than safe enough for me. I assume that Tyler Bertuzzi does not have some major, secret illness preventing him from getting vaccinated. If I'm later proven wrong on this point, I'll happily admit I was wrong. Just as I would happily say "wow, shouldn't have assumed gravity would keep me on this planet" as we all float away.

If you can point to anything to make me doubt my assumption then I'll happily start cheering for Bert again. If you simply refuse to acknowledge that it is indeed a safe assumption, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

If you agree that it's a safe assumption, let's steer back to hockey. Bertuzzi is one of our best players. He's chosen to abandon his teammates. I would like him traded if anyone will offer fair or close to fair value. Your "coasting Mo" would be in the lineup. That's someone who respects his team and his teammates enough to play for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jaster and RRhoads

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
There are 900 players that will likely play at least 1 NHL game this year. 899 have gotten the vaccine. 0 of them have had any side effects that have caused them to not be able to play ever again. In the risk table for NHL players this doesn't even make the list.
Where did I say "never play again"? I said we aren't privy to information and this information may impact on or off the ice. If we're talking about risk tables then yeah it would be included but the severity/likelihood would determine the necessary precautions needed to mitigate, accept, transfer, or avoid said risk.

Firstly, you're actively steering this into a debate about public health measures vs personal freedoms. I will respond to you as well as I can under the rules, but mods if you think it's too far, no hard feelings about deleting this.

Here is the information I have about Tyler Bertuzzi: he is a 26 year old professional athlete with no known (by me) history of a serious illness or other condition. He supports a political entity that has disparaged vaccines and their safety in the past.

I am making assumptions based on that information. I think that the assumption I am making is very safe, and if you have a problem with making any assumption, I would like to point out that we make assumptions all the time. For example, just because Earth's gravity has attracted me to its surface for my entire life, does not mean that it will continue to do so. Thus each day that I fail to tether myself to the planet with a rope is a day that I make an assumption. I am making an assumption that the observed laws of the universe will continue to behave as they have thus far. It's a safe assumption based on the information provided.

The assumption I'm making about Tyler is definitely less safe, but still more than safe enough for me. I assume that Tyler Bertuzzi does not have some major, secret illness preventing him from getting vaccinated. If I'm later proven wrong on this point, I'll happily admit I was wrong. Just as I would happily say "wow, shouldn't have assumed gravity would keep me on this planet" as we all float away.

If you can point to anything to make me doubt my assumption then I'll happily start cheering for Bert again. If you simply refuse to acknowledge that it is indeed a safe assumption, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

If you agree that it's a safe assumption, let's steer back to hockey. Bertuzzi is one of our best players. He's chosen to abandon his teammates. I would like him traded if anyone will offer fair or close to fair value. Your "coasting Mo" would be in the lineup. That's someone who respects his team and his teammates enough to play for them.
I never once steered this to a debate about public health but questioned your assumptions. We're not privy to Bertuzzi's health records nor should we as it's an extremely personal matter. You keep bringing up assumptions as they're fact but it's simple we don't have this information so we shouldn't comment on it and you're the one that keeps bringing it up. I've seen articles of Todd support said political party but again now we're making assumptions and generalizations and off topic. I'm not going to rebuttal your Earth "assumption" because it completely goes against this purpose of this forum and i've already stated I wished he'd get the vaccine. We're are at an agreement on some things but the difference is I don't attack someone's character based on a disagreement for something trivial. I say trivial because I don't watch hockey for political/health information nor are we privy to all of the information in this event to draw a conclusion. I watch hockey for entertainment for which it saddens me Bert won't be on the ice for X games. It's that simple so I'm sorry if this crossed the threshold what can be discussed I'm just trying to address your points above to a certain extent.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Where did I say "never play again"? I said we aren't privy to information and this information may impact on or off the ice. If we're talking about risk tables then yeah it would be included but the severity/likelihood would determine the necessary precautions needed to mitigate, accept, transfer, or avoid said risk.

I never once steered this to a debate about public health but questioned your assumptions. We're not privy to Bertuzzi's health records nor should we as it's an extremely personal matter. You keep bringing up assumptions as they're fact but it's simple we don't have this information so we shouldn't comment on it and you're the one that keeps bringing it up. I've seen articles of Todd support said political party but again now we're making assumptions and generalizations and off topic. I'm not going to rebuttal your Earth "assumption" because it completely goes against this purpose of this forum and i've already stated I wished he'd get the vaccine. We're are at an agreement on some things but the difference is I don't attack someone's character based on a disagreement for something trivial. I say trivial because I don't watch hockey for political/health information nor are we privy to all of the information in this event to draw a conclusion. I watch hockey for entertainment for which it saddens me Bert won't be on the ice for X games. It's that simple so I'm sorry if this crossed the threshold what can be discussed I'm just trying to address your points above to a certain extent.

If you look up the side effects of the vaccine, and the chances of having them, they are almost all the same effects getting covid can cause, except multiple orders of magnitude less likely to happen. If his PCP told him to not get the vaccine for health reasons, barring an allergy, but then there are enough different vaccines out that even that is out as a reason.

Reactions: TheClap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad