Confirmed with Link: Bernier traded to Ducks for a conditional 2017 draft pick

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
PHP:
Haha martin Luther King or malcolm x
Didn't bernier think one of these dudes were old hockey players? Hahaha

That quote alone. ... get out the door bud.

Neither, it was Nelson Mandela.

Mad Brills*

Honest question:

What would your reaction be if bernier posts better numbers than andersen next year?

Better team?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Honest question:

What would your reaction be if bernier posts better numbers than andersen next year?

Better team?

Wouldn't that depend on the situation?

Is Andersen getting bombarded with shots? Is Bernier starting? How are the ducks playing defensively (they were very good defensively this year), etc

Mad Brills*

Wouldn't that depend on the situation?

Is Andersen getting bombarded with shots? Is Bernier starting? How are the ducks playing defensively (they were very good defensively this year), etc

bernier plays more than 30 games, and andersen plays between 50-55.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think what's really worrisome to people is that they've tried this exact same thing three times before, this being the fourth, and it has failed spectacularly each time. An exorbitantly high price paid for a goalie that the other team deemed expendable.

And it's only going to get worse for Frederik if he doesn't come out playing like a $5m man. In fact, he may get it the worst. Fans in this city are tired of overpriced, overrated goaltending talent. But he holds all the cards. He chooses how this plays out. And i'll be the first to admit if or when i'm wrong.

This is the 1st Goalie Lou Lam has brought in.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Honest question:

Better team?

Can we get the full context of your hypothetical?

What are the numbers?

How is Andersen?

How is Gibson?

Either team have major injuries early on?

To not expect a goaltender to go from Toronto to Anaheim and have better numbers would be a pretty stupid thing to do. But the only side that keeps pushing that logic is the ones against the trade...not 1 person who has liked the Andersen pickup has brought that up because they don't care how Bernier plays as he's no longer a Maple Leaf.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Honest question:

Better team?

I'd be happy for Bernier, for one thing. And I sure wouldn't be surprised to see him do well. He was a very, very good backup in California once before, and he is talented. He is now in a situation that might allow him to succeed, and I think the situation in Toronto would never have fostered that.

And Andersen may not have great numbers this coming season, just by virtue of the team he is on. Young, offence-first forwards tend to leave the goalie in a bad spot every once in a while. I expect to see Nylander and Marner make gaffs that end up in the net. That happens, and it won't be all on Freddy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You can spin it any way you want. Because the people in charge are different doesn't change history.

Not a spin, it's the truth.

You're correct, it doesn't change history. History has no bearing on this.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
You can spin it any way you want. Because the people in charge are different doesn't change history.

The future isn't based on history.

Especially convenient history that conveniently stops at a certain point to enhance an argument.

How does the Vesa Toskala or Andrew Raycroft trades have any more bearing on the history of this franchise then the signings of Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I think the funny thing would be if they signed him to a 2 year extension, Andersen kills it, then you still have these 2 geniuses complaining they should have signed him longer or if he walks it's called poor asset management.

People love to complain.

it would certainly be a risk, however, the odds are that andersen won't "kill it" in the next couple of years by nature of the rebuilding team in front of him.

I'd peg the risk higher at us wanting to shed the contract than it would for him killing it over the next two years. but we'll see.

to your .. "people love to complain"..

Conversely people like to complain about about other people on an internet forum that have a difference of opinion on how good a trade, signing, etc was.

not to mention this would be a pretty boring place if no one had a different opinion.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Honest question:

Better team?

That's the good/bad with the conditional pick (it's "better" for us if Bernier's successful). Even if the return on that part of the trade isn't the greatest, it had to be done. Everything about Andersen (the trade/contract) says mgmt views him as the starter, no sense in repeating Bernier/Reimer. Right or wrong in the long run, they're standing by their decision.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Bernier may post decent numbers as he will be playing the easy games as he is the backup. Bernier is not a good starter, and with smaller equipment, he is only going to be worse.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

it doesn't change history.

but - the last few times the same people in charge of scouting and the like where there. and they weren't using metrics ie: how does Goalie A work with Goalie Coach we have employed? etc. etc.

so the history is there, but the metrics is completely different.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Raycroft, Toskala and Bernier have nothing to do with Andersen or any other goalie.

If it were that easy, we should've had a steady pipeline of hall of fame franchise centers because we got Gilmour and Sundin through trades in the past.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
More than anything, I think they wanted a good goalie that is good/great at handling the puck that will help with the transition game. Bernier and Reimer are both horrible at handling the puck. (And Bernier was suppose to be good, lol.)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Unlike Andersen, Toskala and Bernier were backups, and Raycroft was fresh off an abysmal season. Other than being a goaltender, Andersen has nothing in common with those three.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think smaller goalies should be allowed to keep their pad sizes or increase the size whereas the large pylon goalies should have to reduce equipment size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad