OT: Bernier/Miller Fight (and more TOR/BUF scraps)

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Out of curiousity, but how is that jab not ok, but the twohanded tomahawk chops at the ankles are ok (I assume you mean they are ok since you only singled out this jab by Kessel as being bad)?

Chops at the ankle is more or less in self defense and retaliation.

There was no need for a jab since Scott was being held back by both Clarkson and the ref. I highly doubt Kessel goes looking for Scott and jab him with a stick if Scott wasn't being held back.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Clarkson is an idiot. That is so damn selfish. He also cost himself 700 grand because he lost his cool.

Actually Clarkson was being selfless, NOT selfish. He was standing up for his teammate and I don't see a problem with that. So, unless he was tapped on the shoulder by his coach, Clarkson, coming off the bench, fully knowing that he'll be forfeiting 10 games of his salary, is an act of a selfless teammate.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Actually Clarkson was being selfless, NOT selfish. He was standing up for his teammate and I don't see a problem with that. So, unless he was tapped on the shoulder by his coach, Clarkson, coming off the bench, fully knowing that he'll be forfeiting 10 games of his salary, is an act of a selfless teammate.

This^ I totally get why Clarkson jumps off the bench and agree with it, but considering this is why the rule is in place I can't really say he shouldn't get the suspension.

Also video is released, Kessel done for 3 games (rest of pre-season,) well deserved in my opinion for the reasons pointed out in the video. That said I totally missed the slashes shown against Philly. Dude should be done for about 10 games after seeing those...

scryan

May 1, 2013
Not a fan of Kessel's stickwork there. The first slash I'm OK with, because that dumb oaf Scott was going after him. The second slash I don't like, because Scott was engaged with other players. The spear was over the top

None of it was OK, tbh.
I'll give you the first one though if your really not trying to participate and someone is trying to make you... but he skates back to get it in a few times.
:shakehead

As soon as Miller basically pulled Bernier's arm out of his C/A for him it was over. Chest pads are beefy and its hard to get your arm all the way in there to hit something in front you, but as soon as he got full use of his right arm there is nothing Miller could do but lose.

Drew Doughty, on Jonathan Bernier’s fight:
I texted Bernie after, actually, and just told him it was sick. I always knew he wanted to get in a fight, so I was glad to see him do it – and win, too.
181621891-935x1280-e1379978731916.jpeg

(from LA Kings Insider)

:D
Good to see it going well. I'm going to watch some Leaf games this season.

Ewan McGregor*

This^ I totally get why Clarkson jumps off the bench and agree with it, but considering this is why the rule is in place I can't really say he shouldn't get the suspension.

Also video is released, Kessel done for 3 games (rest of pre-season,) well deserved in my opinion for the reasons pointed out in the video. That said I totally missed the slashes shown against Philly. Dude should be done for about 10 games after seeing those...

If the league starts suspending for slashes half the league would be suspended in a season

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
If the league starts suspending for slashes half the league would be suspended in a season

Except there is a big difference between the slashes that happen behind plays where guys give each other little taps and Kessel going all Conan the Barbarian on guys ankles and knees on three separate instances and being penalized for all three. He needs to learn a lesson and I don't think this enough to teach him.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Chops at the ankle is more or less in self defense and retaliation.

There was no need for a jab since Scott was being held back by both Clarkson and the ref. I highly doubt Kessel goes looking for Scott and jab him with a stick if Scott wasn't being held back.

How is the jab not in retaliation but the slashes are?

They are all in retaliation, they are all stupid. The first one I get, split second after the situation started. Second one, he circles around to get a better angle and specifically targets the ankle. The jab is well after everything and was just beyond dumb.

Kessels' been hacking like a lumberjack all pre-season (ask the Flyers) and frankly should be getting suspended far longer than he did. Three pre-season games is just a vacation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad