OT: Bernier/Miller Fight (and more TOR/BUF scraps)

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
John Scott is a moron who doesn't belong in this league.

That is all.

Last edited:

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Not a fan of Kessel's stickwork there. The first slash I'm OK with, because that dumb oaf Scott was going after him. The second slash I don't like, because Scott was engaged with other players. The spear was over the top

You don't understand how it feels to be the fan of a team with that complete ogre on the ice. 0 hockey ability outside of fighting and constantly looking for the big hit.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
It all started when Corey Tropp instigated with Devane and got his ass kicked. Apparently Scott had a problem with his team mate starting a fight he couldn't finish.

Right after the next face off, the **** hit the fan. Here's an extended view:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Love it. Glad seeing Bernier in Toronto. Great Fan Base and great opportunity to shine for him. Hes finding his way. They grow up so fast :cry:.

Leaf fan here, I have to say Bernier is doing everything possible to win the starters job. Sure the contract he got may be a sign that he has an inside advantage but after tonight he definitely earned to start on opening night. Not only was he amazing in net (made a double stack pad save in the third period) he smoked Miller in that fight. He has shown he wants the starters job and tonight definitely helped him. I love Reimer but I'm not sure he would be willing to get into a fight. Leaf Nation is loving Bernier so far :)

In the post-game interview Bernier said " I just felt like I had to stand up for my teammates" This guy is all class. I hope Frattin and Scrivens do well for you guys in LA.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not a fan of Kessel's stickwork there. The first slash I'm OK with, because that dumb oaf Scott was going after him. The second slash I don't like, because Scott was engaged with other players. The spear was over the top

Yeah the second one where Scott is being dealt with was un-necessary but I have a hard time faulting Kessel in the heat of the moment, it was instincts. The spear was just a love tap pretty much saying " I'm still here" Kessel didn't back down and as a Leaf fan I'm happy about that. He looks much angrier this pre-season and looks like he's not going to take any more crap anymore. For too long he just got pushed around but now he's willing to engage (at least with people his own size) He smoked the guy he was fighting, made him bleed all over his face.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Yeah the second one where Scott is being dealt with was un-necessary but I have a hard time faulting Kessel in the heat of the moment, it was instincts. The spear was just a love tap pretty much saying " I'm still here" Kessel didn't back down and as a Leaf fan I'm happy about that. He looks much angrier this pre-season and looks like he's not going to take any more crap anymore. For too long he just got pushed around but now he's willing to engage (at least with people his own size) He smoked the guy he was fighting, made him bleed all over his face.

Sorry but from an outside view kessel ran at the start, his teammates jumped in for him as they should. Going after him after he is being held back, with his stick no less, is far from not backing down.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
We got jobbed by the lockout. No lockout Bernier plays first half of last season while Quick is injured and we easily get a 1st for him. I'm a little bitter but deep down i'm happy for Berny, he's a Leaf but he's built like a King.

we got a helluva return for a backup, i don't know what you're looking for. you have to think of it like this, the difference between Bernier and Scrivens got us a LW potential top 6er + 2nd rounder. We're in win-now mode, I don't think picks are as important to us as plugging holes. In the trade, we plugged 2 holes at once. it's very hard to steal players from NHL teams, let alone young ones.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I'm actually a little surprised by the complete lack of issue I have with Kessel's slashes.

Captain Mittens*

Do realize that Kessel is going to face disciplinary action for that stickwork, not nearly what Scott will get, but will likely be suspended 2-3 games.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
While I don't have a problem with the slash by Kessel, he would have been better off just looking at Scott like, "you idiot". Then if Scott comes after him just turtle. No one would have blamed him for not fighting Scott.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Do realize that Kessel is going to face disciplinary action for that stickwork, not nearly what Scott will get, but will likely be suspended 2-3 games.

What is Scott going to get anything for? 5 games for getting hit with a stick? I thought that fighting during a stoppage was just a misconduct?

While I don't have a problem with the slash by Kessel, he would have been better off just looking at Scott like, "you idiot". Then if Scott comes after him just turtle. No one would have blamed him for not fighting Scott.

I agree, though he really would have been better off not running his mouth. He was obviously chirping and he reached out for Scott. What did he think was going to happen? A tickle fight?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sorry but from an outside view kessel ran at the start, his teammates jumped in for him as they should. Going after him after he is being held back, with his stick no less, is far from not backing down.

of course he backed away..he didn't know he was going to get jumped from a 6 ft 8 ogre. When he actually engaged with someone his own size he smoked him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

He should get suspended for 3 games which would eliminate him for the rest of the pre-season. Anything more and anything going into the regular season would be too much. 3 games is enough.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
of course he backed away..he didn't know he was going to get jumped from a 6 ft 8 ogre. When he actually engaged with someone his own size he smoked him.

Most surprising thing of this all. I'm a big Kessel fan but he definitely doesn't enjoy the physical aspects of the game at all. Flynn should never live that down.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Really with the stick, Kessel?

Came in here to post the same thing. Kessel's been swinging his baseball bat all pre-season. How the league can ignore him is ridiculous.

Also, how does Bernier win that fight hands down as some are saying? If we are scoring fights like boxing matches I guess you give him the decision, but really? Draw in my books.

Nice to see Bernier swinging though. Good for him. Hopefully he doesn't hurt himself.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I agree with those who say Scott should be out of this league.

I have no issue with Kessel and his stick swinging for the most part. I do think his last jab with his stick was unnecessary though.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I agree with those who say Scott should be out of this league.

I have no issue with Kessel and his stick swinging for the most part. I do think his last jab with the butt-end of his stick was unnecessary though.

This?

iHMie97kSHSG2.gif

That's nothing.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, that.

I just think it's bit of a puss move to take a jab at a player that's being held back by an official.

Maybe but that kind of thing happens all the time. Scott does it afterwards when he tries to throw a shot over the ref at Clarkson. And it's so minor it's not worth focusing on given all else that happened.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Yeah, that.

I just think it's bit of a puss move to take a jab at a player that's being held back by an official.

Meh. Kessel's blood was up, and that big moron started it all. It's a puss move to try to fight a guy you know you can beat up.

Scott broke all kinds of unwritten rules trying to engage a star player way below his weight class who hadn't done anything to warrant the aggression. Kessel should have bought some beer and nachos from the concession stand and dumped them on him too.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Maybe but that kind of thing happens all the time. Scott does it afterwards when he tries to throw a shot over the ref at Clarkson. And it's so minor it's not worth focusing on given all else that happened.

Well, that's why I said it was "unnecessary", not "penalized", "suspended" etc. It's just further antagonizing a player that's being held back, while Kessel is allowed to roam around. Like I said, it's a puss move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad