Confirmed with Link: Berglund signs 3 year extension ($3.7m AAV)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well that's what I ment really. Wasn't much rush to do it.

But we are starved for big news lol

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
There is zero rush to get Schwartz signed since he isn't even eligible for offer sheets or arbitration I believe. It'll get done eventually.

Find it kind of odd this Berglund signing was just randomly announced, but no quotes from Armstrong or anything at all. Doesn't feel like your typical signing...

Does anyone have an example of a sign and trade in the NHL? It just isnt really in hockey thing, what is the advantage in doing it?

And if it was a sign and trade, wouldnt the trade have been announced immediately after? It isnt a sign and maybe trade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Does anyone have an example of a sign and trade in the NHL? It just isnt really in hockey thing, what is the advantage in doing it?

And if it was a sign and trade, wouldnt the trade have been announced immediately after? It isnt a sign and maybe trade.
Maybe teams wanted Berglund to have a contract before they traded for him.

Happened to Devin Setoguchi.

Also didn't the Blues do that with D.J. King?

But no, a trade doesn't already have to be agreed upon. Like JR said, the Blues aren't going around to all 29 teams in the NHL and offering them Berglund. He's not on the block in that way. But if we're going to make a trade, what other forward would we move? He's the only one who could be available and has some trade value, so he's still a moveable piece.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Are you feeling ok? This post sounds borderline optimistic...from Multimoodia...about a St. Louis Blues player...and Hitchcock. Did hell freeze over and I not notice? :amazed:

I've already said that the Blues aren't going to be able to fix their center need this season. They don't have the right combo for Spezza. Stastny is going to go somewhere, anywhere really, else. Kesler is not going to put the Blues on his happy list. San Jose is only going to trade to the East (if they do at all) and Toronto is going to trade Kadri for, paradoxically, even less than Berglund. Grabo will sign wherever his friend signs.

The Blues are going to maybe sign Richards (providing he does not bolt for Florida...bolt...Florida...That's a joke son!) or more likely Jokinen (another, less funny joke)

Then Armstrong is going to lie to me and tell me that they targeted Richards/Jokinen and that he will flourish in the Blues' system. And I will believe him for a time because I am that gullible.

And then next year we'll do this dance again.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express

There very well may be a deal already done, but they are waiting to announce it at the draft to create more buzz.

The Schneider trade last year was done the night before but they waited until the draft to announce.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think there's a good chance that Berglund was signed so that he can be tradeable. If he weren't, teams would tell The Blues to sign him at $X. Having done this beforehand, makes it easier to go farther along in trade negotiations, and make it less likely for pre-arranged trades to fizzle, and so, more potential trades talked about will be more concrete, and so, Armstrong can get a better handle on how he should deal with Stastny. It's something that gives The Blues more flexibility to end up fixing their centre/forward problem, and takes out some risk.

If I were forced to bet, I'd bet that Berglund will NOT be playing for The Blues this coming season. It's close, and could go either way. But, I think chances are a little better that he'll be gone.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Just curious does his new contract have a No trade clause? With all the buzz/rumors going around why would he not ask for one?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Kris Russell.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Just curious does his new contract have a No trade clause? With all the buzz/rumors going around why would he not ask for one?

Why would The Blues give Berglund a no-trade clause? That should be reserved only for players a team wants VERY badly, and can't get without giving that up. It lowers the value of the player as an asset.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
RFA years can't be protected by NTC's anyway. Even if he did get one (which he obviously didn't), then the earliest it could start would be July 1, 2015.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think there's a good chance that Berglund was signed so that he can be tradeable. If he weren't, teams would tell The Blues to sign him at $X. Having done this beforehand, makes it easier to go farther along in trade negotiations, and make it less likely for pre-arranged trades to fizzle, and so, more potential trades talked about will be more concrete, and so, Armstrong can get a better handle on how he should deal with Stastny. It's something that gives The Blues more flexibility to end up fixing their centre/forward problem, and takes out some risk.

If I were forced to bet, I'd bet that Berglund will NOT be playing for The Blues this coming season. It's close, and could go either way. But, I think chances are a little better that he'll be gone.

The most telling thing to me is that Anaheim and Minn are now in the Kesler bidding. Which means a deal could be in place. I am not so sure that Berglund will be part of that deal.

The deal would be the last part of the trade negotiations, IMO. Because if the deal fizzles the Blues would then be on the hook for the contract, that the Sens. thought was fair. The contact may not be something the Blues themselves feel comfortable with.

But if that were the case, why would the Sens not just want to sign him themselves? Berglund would know he was traded at that point anyways and the terms may have already been set out.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
3.7 mill for a 32 point season is not reasonable in my mind. I agree with the idea its a sign and trade.

Why do you think it is a sign and trade? The 3.7 million is fairly cheap for a 2nd line forward which is what Berglund usually. (Lets face it last season was his worst in the NHL production wise since his 2nd year in the league).

The reason I ask, wouldn't the Sens want to negotiate with the player themselves? Why would a player being traded sign with the team trading him instead of the team trading for him? It would be a better way to introduce the player - IMO.

I am not saying he isn't part of the package, but my guess is it will likely be Sobotka at this point.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Why would The Blues give Berglund a no-trade clause? That should be reserved only for players a team wants VERY badly, and can't get without giving that up. It lowers the value of the player as an asset.

I know and I agree but from Berglund's perspective he must know his name has been coming up a few times in trade rumors Kadri,spezza..etc you would think he would ask for a guarantee he wouldn't be traded to go some where else after signing a new contract.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I think he'll be traded, I don't know where but I'm hoping they're making a trade and a UFA signing.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Hasn't Berglund always signed his contracts pretty early on so he doesn't have to worry about it over the off season? He could go or stay, but I don't think the signing early has anything to do with it at this time.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Hasn't Berglund always signed his contracts pretty early on so he doesn't have to worry about it over the off season? He could go or stay, but I don't think the signing early has anything to do with it at this time.

True. He's always wanted to get them out of the way early.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Why do you think it is a sign and trade? The 3.7 million is fairly cheap for a 2nd line forward which is what Berglund usually. (Lets face it last season was his worst in the NHL production wise since his 2nd year in the league).

The reason I ask, wouldn't the Sens want to negotiate with the player themselves? Why would a player being traded sign with the team trading him instead of the team trading for him? It would be a better way to introduce the player - IMO.

I am not saying he isn't part of the package, but my guess is it will likely be Sobotka at this point.

I think that the team that Bergie would be traded to would want to know that they are guaranteed they have him for X amount of years and so that salary caps would be correct (depending on the team).

It would hard for the Blues to negotiate a trade with another team and make it contingent that Berglund resigns with them. That is Bergie's decision, not the Blues.

Basically, Berglund is more valuable as a trade piece to the Blues and to the team receiving him by having him already signed.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If the Blues sign Stastny (or somehow get their center without parting with Berglund) I'd love for the rest of the story be that Berglund shifted to 3rd line winger and scored 30 goals next season.

He's been tantalizing for a few years, but I've given up on him ever regaining the promise of his rookie season. But the tools are still there if his head comes around. I'd love to be surprised by a happy ending.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere, but there are rumours of a limited NTC included in the contract.

It wouldn't be possible for any NTC, if there is one, to start before next summer.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
If the Blues sign Stastny (or somehow get their center without parting with Berglund) I'd love for the rest of the story be that Berglund shifted to 3rd line winger and scored 30 goals next season.

He's been tantalizing for a few years, but I've given up on him ever regaining the promise of his rookie season. But the tools are still there if his head comes around. I'd love to be surprised by a happy ending.

Speaking of Berglund on the wing. Man, I loved the Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko line. I really wanted to see it back together once everyone was healthy, but it never happened.
I know everybody is stuck on the idea that Schwartz and Tarasenko go together, which is obviously great, but I like something like this...

Schwartz-Stastny-Oshie
Steen-Backes-Jaskin or Paajarvi-Backes-Steen
Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko

The two-way ability of all three of those lines is impressive. Oshie and Stastny looked very good together on team USA.

Now, I know it's also interesting to see Jaskin and/or Paajarvi get a shot above 4th line duty, but that lineup begs for a veteran right winger. Iginla and even Vrbata is very likely out of their price range, but they could legitimately afford Stastny AND someone like Downie. Then, because there's so much two-way play going on, you can play Paajarvi-Lindstrom-Jaskin as a soft-responsibility offensive 4th line if you want. With Lapierre and Reaves rotating in for nightly match-ups and to keep things fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad