Confirmed with Link: Berglund signs 3 year extension ($3.7m AAV)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Speaking of Berglund on the wing. Man, I loved the Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko line. I really wanted to see it back together once everyone was healthy, but it never happened.
I know everybody is stuck on the idea that Schwartz and Tarasenko go together, which is obviously great, but I like something like this...

Schwartz-Stastny-Oshie
Steen-Backes-Jaskin or Paajarvi-Backes-Steen
Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko

The two-way ability of all three of those lines is impressive. Oshie and Stastny looked very good together on team USA.

Now, I know it's also interesting to see Jaskin and/or Paajarvi get a shot above 4th line duty, but that lineup begs for a veteran right winger. Iginla and even Vrbata is very likely out of their price range, but they could legitimately afford Stastny AND someone like Downie. Then, because there's so much two-way play going on, you can play Paajarvi-Lindstrom-Jaskin as a soft-responsibility offensive 4th line if you want. With Lapierre and Reaves rotating in for nightly match-ups and to keep things fresh.
Not that the first line is bad because that'd be a great two-way line and Schwartz can score goals, but I don't know about finally getting a playmaking center and putting him with two guys that are also primarily playmakers. Maybe Steen could go on that left side instead because Stastny and Oshie did look good in the Olympics. Then Schwartz could feed Backes and Jaskin for some goals. I think that'd look good.

I do wonder who the Blues may bring in along with Stastny if it were to happen. For some reason I just don't see that being their only move. Armstrong said he was interested in Ott, but since I think he'll get overpaid, clearly they are thinking about adding another bottom 6 guy.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Not that the first line is bad because that'd be a great two-way line and Schwartz can score goals, but I don't know about finally getting a playmaking center and putting him with two guys that are also primarily playmakers. Maybe Steen could go on that left side instead because Stastny and Oshie did look good in the Olympics. Then Schwartz could feed Backes and Jaskin for some goals. I think that'd look good.

I do wonder who the Blues may bring in along with Stastny if it were to happen. For some reason I just don't see that being their only move. Armstrong said he was interested in Ott, but since I think he'll get overpaid, clearly they are thinking about adding another bottom 6 guy.

I don't really consider Schwartz to be primarily a playmaker. The gap between his goals and assists probably won't be large for most of his career. His release is superb, he goes to the net, and is very good at putting in rebounds. I totally understand getting a center to play with Tarasenko, and I'm all for that, too, but liked that Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko line and would like to see it get another chance.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Here is article of Patrick Berglund, written by Uffe Bodin on hockeysverige.se

This is my translation, so god I Hope my old Swedish teacher won't read this. I think Swedish blues fans will enjoy this post. :laugh:

This summer people talked about a trade, but Patrcik Berlund stay on Blues and he will play lefwing instead of center - addiotionally he is best condition of his career. - "Patrick has done damn good work this summer, says coach Hitch".

Patrick Berglund's last yeard was big disappointment. After that he was best Swedish goalscorer in lockout season 12-13 with 17 goals in 48 games thou last season slump with 14 goals in 78 games - that was his second weakest season of all time.

After last season Patrick faced heavy criticism how he played and there was rumours that he could be traded away from St Louis Blues. Instead of complete those rumours about trade Blues gives Berglund needed trust and in June he writed new 3-year deal worth of 11.1mill. $ and 3.7mill. AAV.

After bad year Patrick has worked extremely hard to get revenge. According to all reports from Blues Patrick has done well this summer. His test results at the beginning of training camp has been brilliant and after Monday's preseason game against Dallas where he had both goals and assists, he get well received hype from Hitch about his physical condition. - "Patrick played over 20minutes and didnt slowed down at all, he didnt lose his energy and he wasnt tired one bit, says Hitch."
-" We have followed him closely today (read Tuesday) and he came back with even more energy. So the work what he has done at summer has demonstrably improved his strength on ice.

Hitch says Patrick biggest probelm previously was that he get tired too quicly and also he got such a hard time recovery from games and that usually showed as 'lazy' gamestyle.
-"Now he has done hell of a good job this summer so he can keep up his high level and it wont go down.

Patrick's physical condition isnt the only new thing his coming up season. Blues has reinforces centers with Stastny and Lehterä so its going to be clear that former Västeräs player will be pushing himself highest limit. Hitch believes that Berglund greatest strenght as a player is to lead the attack, cus Blues center role is much as playing back up position and that spot Patrcik can on rare occasions complete. Playing as (left)winger Hitch hopes Patrick will be much better outlet for his offensive tools.
-"He is better able to lead the attack and be the first one into the offensive zone instead of being the one who comes last to attack. That's why we want to test him on the edge and see how it goes.

Patrick like the challenge and he is excited with anticipation to see what change it might developed.
-"it's fun, like set your focus and mind in one thing only. i have never played on wing before, but it was really fun says Patrick."

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Here is article of Patrick Berglund, written by Uffe Bodin on hockeysverige.se

This is my translation, so god I Hope my old Swedish teacher won't read this. I think Swedish blues fans will enjoy this post. :laugh:

This summer people talked about a trade, but Patrcik Berlund stay on Blues and he will play lefwing instead of center - addiotionally he is best condition of his career. - "Patrick has done damn good work this summer, says coach Hitch".

Patrick Berglund's last yeard was big disappointment. After that he was best Swedish goalscorer in lockout season 12-13 with 17 goals in 48 games thou last season slump with 14 goals in 78 games - that was his second weakest season of all time.

After last season Patrick faced heavy criticism how he played and there was rumours that he could be traded away from St Louis Blues. Instead of complete those rumours about trade Blues gives Berglund needed trust and in June he writed new 3-year deal worth of 11.1mill. $ and 3.7mill. AAV.

After bad year Patrick has worked extremely hard to get revenge. According to all reports from Blues Patrick has done well this summer. His test results at the beginning of training camp has been brilliant and after Monday's preseason game against Dallas where he had both goals and assists, he get well received hype from Hitch about his physical condition. - "Patrick played over 20minutes and didnt slowed down at all, he didnt lose his energy and he wasnt tired one bit, says Hitch."
-" We have followed him closely today (read Tuesday) and he came back with even more energy. So the work what he has done at summer has demonstrably improved his strength on ice.

Hitch says Patrick biggest probelm previously was that he get tired too quicly and also he got such a hard time recovery from games and that usually showed as 'lazy' gamestyle.
-"Now he has done hell of a good job this summer so he can keep up his high level and it wont go down.

Patrick's physical condition isnt the only new thing his coming up season. Blues has reinforces centers with Stastny and Lehterä so its going to be clear that former Västeräs player will be pushing himself highest limit. Hitch believes that Berglund greatest strenght as a player is to lead the attack, cus Blues center role is much as playing back up position and that spot Patrcik can on rare occasions complete. Playing as (left)winger Hitch hopes Patrick will be much better outlet for his offensive tools.
-"He is better able to lead the attack and be the first one into the offensive zone instead of being the one who comes last to attack. That's why we want to test him on the edge and see how it goes.

Patrick like the challenge and he is excited with anticipation to see what change it might developed.
-"it's fun, like set your focus and mind in one thing only. i have never played on wing before, but it was really fun says Patrick."

Yeah there was a similar article released over here in the local newspaper. It all sound well and good but we get articles like this every single preseason. I know it will make me sound like a cynical ass but everything written this time of year should be taken with a grain of salt because 90% is hype pieces. I would love for Berglund to take a giant leap forward this year but I am going to temper expectations until I see it come to fruition on the ice.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yeah there was a similar article released over here in the local newspaper. It all sound well and good but we get articles like this every single preseason. I know it will make me sound like a cynical ass but everything written this time of year should be taken with a grain of salt because 90% is hype pieces. I would love for Berglund to take a giant leap forward this year but I am going to temper expectations until I see it come to fruition on the ice.

It sounds like a straight translation almost of the STLToday article.

I agree about the hype and hopefulness. But then there are objective measurables, too, like the weight Paajarvi has put on for example.

I can't remember a camp before where I was looking forward to cuts more. Its time to get the guys that have no hope of making the team back to their clubs, and let us see who is slotting into the line-up. Its been a few years since the Blues had this much competition for those last couple spots. Especially if Schwartz and/or Gunnarson are not on the ice for game one, there are opportunities here.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Seems almost exactly like the article that was written about Stewart last preseason. Nothing seemed to change with him. I do think, however, that tge shift from center to wing will be beneficial.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
At least Berglund doesn't limit himself to being a complete perimeter player like Stewart was. Plus, he's willing to play defense. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he responds to playing on the wing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
At least Berglund doesn't limit himself to being a complete perimeter player like Stewart was. Plus, he's willing to play defense. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he responds to playing on the wing.

I absolutely agree that Berglund is a much more complete hockey player than Stewart, I'm just saying that these articles are written in every sport during pre season. His play in his first game is much more exciting than his supposedly improved fitness. Hitch seems to think his improved physique is the cause of his great first game, while I think the position change has more to do with his success. Improved fitness is never a bad thing obviously, but it doesn't always translate to performance on the ice.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I absolutely agree that Berglund is a much more complete hockey player than Stewart, I'm just saying that these articles are written in every sport during pre season. His play in his first game is much more exciting than his supposedly improved fitness. Hitch seems to think his improved physique is the cause of his great first game, while I think the position change has more to do with his success. Improved fitness is never a bad thing obviously, but it doesn't always translate to performance on the ice.

You're absolutely right about those articles. I take them worth a grain of salt. I'm with you on the position change playing a big role in his potential improved play. I want to see what he can do.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Berglund did a good job at many parts of his role as a center. Defensively, he was effective. He was responsible. He maintained puck possession and executed Hitchcock's system to keep pressure in the offensive zone.

But he doesn't have the vision or play-making ability to feed talented finishers on his line consistently enough to match their skill level. If he were still 3C on the Blues, it would function just fine as a shut-down line.

But he also has the dimension of having a great shot himself, and proven scoring ability in the past. The Blues now have the luxury of talent at forward such that his scoring ability is more valuable than his center skills. If Berglund can make the mental gear switch to being an attacking forward, looking to shoot rather than to just maintain possession. And being fed by a good passer as his own center.

Anyway, beyond the new additions duking it out for roster spots, Berglund's new role is probably the most compelling story in camp. I think this is a lot different than the Stewart situation because he will have a different position. With Stewart, we were hoping for the right chemistry to unlock his potential, finding the center that would make him dangerous. There really was never much reason to expect that was going to happen.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think the biggest thing that limited him as a center was his lack of foot speed. It really hindered his ability to create off the rush. Hopefully moving to the wing will minimize that. I just want to see him play angry more because when he does he's fantastic. We all know he has the size and puck possession ability to do it. If all goes well, I could see him scoring 25 goals this year.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
if this is true than it could mean we see much more "angry" Berglund. :nod: theres been a perception on this bored as berglund being lazy sometimes and not playing to his capabilities. i think hitch would know better than us whether that was due to fatigue or mind set, and hitch thinks it was fatigue.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
if this is true than it could mean we see much more "angry" Berglund. :nod: theres been a perception on this bored as berglund being lazy sometimes and not playing to his capabilities. i think hitch would know better than us whether that was due to fatigue or mind set, and hitch thinks it was fatigue.

Yeah, but he's been a pro for years. Why would his fitness level be a hindrance? It could only be due to his training habits. I'm pretty skeptical of a guy suddenly finding different motivation (after a contract season) that is going to result in dramatically different results for his fitness level, or some new training regimen.

If that has been what held him back before, I don't have any confidence that we're going to see much difference in the future.

I read this a different way: Berglund gets discouraged and down on himself, and then he plays worse. He can get into a cycle of negative thinking. I've watched him have a bad shift that snowballs into a pedestrian game where he's obviously upset with himself. I view Hitchcock's comments as a savvy coach who is building up his player mentally, giving Berglund more reasons to expect positive results.

I don't think Hitchcock is being intentionally misleading, just overstating the fitness thing a bit.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, but he's been a pro for years. Why would his fitness level be a hindrance? It could only be due to his training habits. I'm pretty skeptical of a guy suddenly finding different motivation (after a contract season) that is going to result in dramatically different results for his fitness level, or some new training regimen.

If that has been what held him back before, I don't have any confidence that we're going to see much difference in the future.

I read this a different way: Berglund gets discouraged and down on himself, and then he plays worse. He can get into a cycle of negative thinking. I've watched him have a bad shift that snowballs into a pedestrian game where he's obviously upset with himself. I view Hitchcock's comments as a savvy coach who is building up his player mentally, giving Berglund more reasons to expect positive results.

I don't think Hitchcock is being intentionally misleading, just overstating the fitness thing a bit.
very plausible. actually probably more plausible than my own post. :cry: but you never know, maybe he realized this off season that he really was trade bait, and that he really is about to be knocked out of the top 6 and it was the slap on the ass he needed to train better? you never know whats going on in somebodies head. either way hopefully it takes away his lazy games.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
very plausible. actually probably more plausible than my own post. :cry: but you never know, maybe he realized this off season that he really was trade bait, and that he really is about to be knocked out of the top 6 and it was the slap on the ass he needed to train better? you never know whats going on in somebodies head. either way hopefully it takes away his lazy games.

He was playing for a contract last year. This year, he's got a 3 year deal in place.

"Lazy Berglund" isn't going to change. Hopefully "Angry Berglund" is the real deal, and he just needs to build some confidence and reinforce those aggressive offensive tendencies. I still rememember Paul Stastny commenting about how Berglund was going to be a star in the league.

KareyPrice

Jun 7, 2010
I picked him up last in my fantasy pool this year I saw he had kind of a poor year but I don't know much about St. Louis, any chance he turns out to be a good late pick?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Last round so figured it was worth a shot just wondered how St. Louis fans figured he might turn out this year

Berglund could be a very good sleeper pick, so nice job getting him in the last round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad