Confirmed with Link: Berggren signs 3 year ELC

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Homeboy is 5'11" 183lbs. There's smaller players in the NHL than him and he's plenty strong on his skates.

Yeah, that isn't that small but I am pretty sure I have read from people that he will have trouble with NHL size guys, because lets face it the NHL is a whole other thing from a physicality stand point.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, that isn't that small but I am pretty sure I have read from people that he will have trouble with NHL size guys, because lets face it the NHL is a whole other thing from a physicality stand point.

Dude this isn't the dead puck era. The Hatcher brothers, Pronger, Jackman, Regehr and those types are long gone. And reading comments like, "Yeah but how's he going to handle physical brute defenseman X?" are, well, pointless. He's either going to beat those guys with the puck and create something. Or he doesn't beat them and that's it for the play. And yes, he's going to play against an all star defenseman once in a while. But so does everybody else in the whole league. And guess what? Even those all star defensemen get beat from time to time.

DeBrincat had his detractors and he's doing great. Cole Caulfield has his detractors and that kid has looked great. f***, look at Gaudreau and Danny Briere. Brendan Gallagher, Brayden Point, Brad Marchand. Berggren is as big or bigger than all of them, can skate better than every one of them except Point, AND he's got incredible hands. This kid could be a really, really good player for us.

The SHL isn't some totally soft league. It's not as physical as the AHL (which is probably the closest thing you'll get to dead puck era hockey btw) but it's also very structured like NHL hockey, and there are games that are plenty physical. Just watch the SHL playoffs. He did plenty fine against physical defensemen in the SHL and even threw a few shots Seider's way.

My advice is to just wait, watch, and see. If Berggren has a fiery competitive spirit then he's going to be just fine.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Dude this isn't the dead puck era. The Hatcher brothers, Pronger, Jackman, Regehr and those types are long gone. And reading comments like, "Yeah but how's he going to handle physical brute defenseman X?" are, well, pointless. He's either going to beat those guys with the puck and create something. Or he doesn't beat them and that's it for the play. And yes, he's going to play against an all star defenseman once in a while. But so does everybody else in the whole league. And guess what? Even those all star defensemen get beat from time to time.

DeBrincat had his detractors and he's doing great. Cole Caulfield has his detractors and that kid has looked great. f***, look at Gaudreau and Danny Briere. Brendan Gallagher, Brayden Point, Brad Marchand. Berggren is as big or bigger than all of them, can skate better than every one of them except Point, AND he's got incredible hands. This kid could be a really, really good player for us.

The SHL isn't some totally soft league. It's not as physical as the AHL (which is probably the closest thing you'll get to dead puck era hockey btw) but it's also very structured like NHL hockey, and there are games that are plenty physical. Just watch the SHL playoffs. He did plenty fine against physical defensemen in the SHL and even threw a few shots Seider's way.

My advice is to just wait, watch, and see. If Berggren has a fiery competitive spirit then he's going to be just fine.

There are lots of small guys that struggle when the games count. So far Gaudreau hasn't been great at playoff time. Size still matters in the dirty areas as you can't out-skate nasty defenders that are already there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
There are lots of small guys that struggle when the games count. So far Gaudreau hasn't been great at playoff time. Size still matters in the dirty areas as you can't out-skate nasty defenders that are already there.

There are also plenty of big guys in the history of the league that struggled during playoff time. See our former 3rd overall pick, Keith Primeau as a prime example. Rick Nash was another guy who was doodoo in the postseason. The list could go on forever.

Gaudreau's problems aren't size related. They're Gaudreau related. Danny Briere was 5'9" but a playoff beast. Brad Marchand, as much as I hate the rat faced f***, has gotten better and better every year in the league and still plays chippy hockey.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There are also plenty of big guys in the history of the league that struggled during playoff time. See our former 3rd overall pick, Keith Primeau as a prime example. Rick Nash was another guy who was doodoo in the postseason. The list could go on forever.

Gaudreau's problems aren't size related. They're Gaudreau related. Danny Briere was 5'9" but a playoff beast. Brad Marchand, as much as I hate the rat faced f***, has gotten better and better every year in the league and still plays chippy hockey.

Yeah, to me it isn't the size so much it is how they play. Do they play big, or do they play small as there are lots 6'5" guys that don't play a big mans game and vice versa. When you read about Berrgren I don't necessarily hear he plays big. It was also more a question as the only thing I see from him is highlight packages which just show the good stuff.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, to me it isn't the size so much it is how they play. Do they play big, or do they play small as there are lots 6'5" guys that don't play a big mans game and vice versa. When you read about Berrgren I don't necessarily hear he plays big. It was also more a question as the only thing I see from him is highlight packages which just show the good stuff.

He's not going to play a grinding hockey style, but we don't need him to. He's going to skate skate skate, and help us transition the puck up ice, and he's going to set up his teammates. He's not even on the Detroit roster yet and he's probably the best playmaker we've got in the entire organization right now.

The video I posted on the first page has an interview with Berggren talking about how he was told to skate the puck into the middle more and play on the perimeter less and we saw his points per game just about double as a result.

Reactions: mantha39 and Oddbob

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
So what do we think realistically? Two years before he is ready physically for the NHL? That seems to be what I read from some of you in regards to weaknesses that he is smallish or weaker.

I don’t see any reason for him to spend 2 years in GR. I hope he is pushing for a roster spot this year and if he doesn’t make it he is the first call up. Kid has great skill we need more skill in the lineup

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
he’s making the wings out of camp. calling it now.

I don't see reason why not.

Because he has no experience on small ice, doesn't need to be exposed to a losing team immediately, because Yzerman loves loading up his minor league team and letting them go on a run, and because Detroit is likely not truly trying to win next year.

Raymond and Berggren both get 9 games, and likely not more than that.

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Because he has no experience on small ice, doesn't need to be exposed to a losing team immediately, because Yzerman loves loading up his minor league team and letting them go on a run, and because Detroit is likely not truly trying to win next year.

Most likely, but it's all depends on his training camp and Yzerplan

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm

Haha, No experience on small ice?

The kid has played hundreds of games on small ice and practiced even more on North american rinks.

He was ranked as a top ten pick about a year before his draft day.

Getting him in the second round was a steal and he has already proved a lot on Team Sweden and in the SHL.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Haha, No experience on small ice?

The kid has played hundreds of games on small ice and practiced even more on North american rinks.

He was ranked as a top ten pick about a year before his draft day.

Getting him in the second round was a steal and he has already proved a lot on Team Sweden and in the SHL.

Are Swedish Jr rinks NA size?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad