OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

giphy-downsized.gif

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Berggren Hype Train.....All Aboard!

I'm super pumped that he'll be over in North America this year. This kid was so much fun to watch in Sweden this year. In terms of sheer talent he is probably more skilled than anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with Piranha on our team this year.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm super pumped that he'll be over in North America this year. This kid was so much fun to watch in Sweden this year. In terms of sheer talent he is probably more skilled than anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with Piranha on our team this year.
LOL...Piranha. The Mickey-ism...so good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
LOL...Piranha. The Mickey-ism...so good.

I'm just hoping he comes to camp and just kills it and gets a top 6 spot. As much as I want to see Zadina and Vrana together I think that Berggren might be a better fit, at least offensively. That's a ton of speed on one line.

Reactions: golffuul

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Good to see. I do hope people are patient though. I think Berggren's skill is very real but so are his physical limitations. Whether he's playing under Simon or Blashill, he's probably not going to earn a ton of responsibility until he proves he can hold his own physically. Great skater, but a lot of the half-wall hugging zone entries he relied on in Sweden I don't think translate super naturally to NA ice.

I like the player and the pick a lot, I think in time we could have another Nyquist on our hands. I'd just caution folks not to freak if the production doesn't immediately translate.

Reactions: FabricDetails

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Good to see. I do hope people are patient though. I think Berggren's skill is very real but so are his physical limitations. Whether he's playing under Simon or Blashill, he's probably not going to earn a ton of responsibility until he proves he can hold his own physically. Great skater, but a lot of the half-wall hugging zone entries he relied on in Sweden I don't think translate super naturally to NA ice.

I like the player and the pick a lot, I think in time we could have another Nyquist on our hands. I'd just caution folks not to freak if the production doesn't immediately translate.

He's not a physical player but he's not afraid of getting hit. Berggren and Seider had some absolute battles this year. He takes a hit to make a play if he has to, but the kid is slick. We also don't know if he even needs the "adjustment period." It's not like every player coming over from the SHL has to spend a season or two in the AHL getting used to the rink size. And between the NHL and AHL, the AHL is far more physical than the NHL.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Very very excited to see what this guy can do over here. I think Berggren has a very good chance to make the team out of camp. I just hope if he does earn a spot, he can actually start with the team,

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
He's not a physical player but he's not afraid of getting hit. Berggren and Seider had some absolute battles this year. He takes a hit to make a play if he has to, but the kid is slick. We also don't know if he even needs the "adjustment period." It's not like every player coming over from the SHL has to spend a season or two in the AHL getting used to the rink size. And between the NHL and AHL, the AHL is far more physical than the NHL.

I hear you, but I'm not really worried whether or not he's afraid of the physicality so much as whether or not he can be an effective point producer against better physical players.

I think a lot of folks on this board are underestimating how vastly higher the level of talent is in the NHL compared to the SHL. With very few exceptions, if anyone in the SHL could hack it in the NHL they'd be there. Berggren is a very good prospect, but if he slots into our top 6 he's not going to be working against Jesse Virtanen and Eric Gelinas, he's playing against Victor Hedman and Aaron Ekblad. If he hits the ground running then hats off to him, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see growing pains and inconsistencies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I hear you, but I'm not really worried whether or not he's afraid of the physicality so much as whether or not he can be an effective point producer against better physical players.

I think a lot of folks on this board are underestimating how vastly higher the level of talent is in the NHL compared to the SHL. With very few exceptions, if anyone in the SHL could hack it in the NHL they'd be there. Berggren is a very good prospect, but if he slots into our top 6 he's not going to be working against Jesse Virtanen and Eric Gelinas, he's playing against Victor Hedman and Aaron Ekblad. If he hits the ground running then hats off to him, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see growing pains and inconsistencies.

Here's the thing about Berggren that I noted in the SHL: His speed and stickhandling allowed him to make the physical defensemen in the SHL look foolish. I think we're going to see him do the exact same thing to NHL defenders. And as good as Hedman and Ekblad and Josi are they don't play 60 minutes a night. You're going to see Berggren get shifts against Adam Boqvist, Nikita Zadorov, and guys that aren't all star level minute munchers as well.

Get pumped, bro! Think positive things into existence!

giphy.gif

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Just about a PPG player in SHL in just his second season. A LOT of potential here.

Note to Blash: Please don’t have him make the team just to have him be the healthy scratch most nights.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So what do we think realistically? Two years before he is ready physically for the NHL? That seems to be what I read from some of you in regards to weaknesses that he is smallish or weaker.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So what do we think realistically? Two years before he is ready physically for the NHL? That seems to be what I read from some of you in regards to weaknesses that he is smallish or weaker.

Homeboy is 5'11" 183lbs. There's smaller players in the NHL than him and he's plenty strong on his skates.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad