News Article: Bergevin said no thanks to Brandon Saad.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
They got Anisimov and Dano so I'm thinking Eller + Beaulieu makes more likely.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't believe how this unsubstantiated trade rumor is garnering so many posts. Never underestimate the power of rumor-mongering.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I like Lavoie. He's usually pretty good with his insider info. I really have a hard time believing this though...unless Bowman thought MB soured on Galchenyuk after he struggled in the latter part of the year and thought he could buy low. With that said, I'd have to agree with most posters who claimed that Bowman, like most GMs probably started with a high offer that would eventually be talked down.

I'm a huge fan of Saad. He's a really good hockey player. I'd have to concur with others who would have been willing to part with Eller + to acquire him, this coming from an Eller fan.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I'm a huge fan of Saad. He's a really good hockey player. I'd have to concur with others who would have been willing to part with Eller + to acquire him, this coming from an Eller fan.

Agreed, a Galchenyuk-Saad combo would be amazing. We would have had to add a pretty big + to Eller to get him though. Dano is a big time prospect.

Cost would likely have been:
Eller + McCarron/Scherbak + Ellis (or similarly valued minor prospect)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I like Lavoie. He's usually pretty good with his insider info. I really have a hard time believing this though...unless Bowman thought MB soured on Galchenyuk after he struggled in the latter part of the year and thought he could buy low. With that said, I'd have to agree with most posters who claimed that Bowman, like most GMs probably started with a high offer that would eventually be talked down.

You like Lavoie?? Lol..You can't possibly have been watching TVA sports for games..
Lavoie brings in the most useless pieces of information during the games. It's embarrassing. I've learned things like JJD likes to talk to the players when they practice the PP, Komarov likes to wear older skates, and PAP had a haircut this summer. What's truly funny is that he always presents these useless bids as ''tres interessant''. His interviews also suck badly with players. He's no Luc Gelinas, but he's quite bad.

I used to like him on RDS, he was mostly an insider there and was pretty decent at it. Since joining TVA though his insider track seems to have disappeared.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Stan Bowman called Marc Bergevin this summer and request Galchenyuk and Beaulieu to get Brandon Saad. Are you F*** serious Bowman? Thank god Bergevin is a wise man!!!!

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/10/19/bergevin-a-dit-non-a-bowman

No need to get mad at Bowman. He's simply following Bergevin's lead.

What happened is - Bowman had just completed this same trade on his playstation last night, so thought he'd give it a try by calling up Bergervin the next morning...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
You like Lavoie?? Lol..You can't possibly have been watching TVA sports for games..
Lavoie brings in the most useless pieces of information during the games. It's embarrassing. I've learned things like JJD likes to talk to the players when they practice the PP, Komarov likes to wear older skates, and PAP had a haircut this summer. What's truly funny is that he always presents these useless bids as ''tres interessant''. His interviews also suck badly with players. He's no Luc Gelinas, but he's quite bad.

I used to like him on RDS, he was mostly an insider there and was pretty decent at it. Since joining TVA though his insider track seems to have disappeared.

I don't watch TVA. I only follow him on twitter. That must be why I still like him.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't watch TVA. I only follow him on twitter. That must be why I still like him.

He was arguing with Stephane Auger last game, about that goal by Gallagher, twas funny :laugh:

And, that moment, and the interview at the end, were the only moments I remembered him...

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Just want to point out that this is where having a GM that is incapable of signing/attracting UFA except for the bargain bin variety really hurts us. Signing conn smythe winner Justin Williams for 3.25M is better than giving up Galchenyuk + Beaulieu for Saad at 6M.

First off, Justin Williams was just as much a bargain bin signing as the guys MB picked up. Second, what's wrong with the bargain bin? It's perfectly legitimate.

It's become a market function where there's all these 30 year old vets unsigned because relatively unproven 22 year olds like Saad are getting huge contracts that vets like Williams, Semin & Fleishman who have better career #s are left scrambling for jobs and it doesn't seem like this trend will be diminishing in the short term. I am glad to see MB playing hockey moneyball and signing less glamorous players who will likely put up just as many points as someone like Saad for 1/5 the salary and low contract term risk.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
First off, Justin Williams was just as much a bargain bin signing as the guys MB picked up. Second, what's wrong with the bargain bin? It's perfectly legitimate.

It's become a market function where there's all these 30 year old vets unsigned because relatively unproven 22 year olds like Saad are getting huge contracts that vets like Williams, Semin & Fleishman who have better career #s are left scrambling for jobs and it doesn't seem like this trend will be diminishing in the short term. I am glad to see MB playing hockey moneyball and signing less glamorous players who will likely put up just as many points as someone like Saad for 1/5 the salary and low contract term risk.

All the guys on PTO's and veterans signing cheap contracts was a function of a cap that's about 5 mil lower than what most projected, so a lot of teams are in a cap/budget squeeze.

This is in large part due to the drop in Canadian dollar. A lot of NHL revenue is in Canadian funds and salaries are all paid in US$.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hell no.

Top 4 D > Top 6 forward.

It's not like Saad is a first line forward.

You can argue that Saad or Beaulieu is better value. For now Saad's name is probably worth more, more established and has won a cup, long term Beaulieu could be worth more...

But...to say that Saad is wroth Beaulieu AND Galchenyuk...I think Bowman was just swinging for the fences. Maybe Chicago was adding something more(1st rounder or good prospect) but it would make little sense for the Habs.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You can argue that Saad or Beaulieu is better value. For now Saad's name is probably worth more, more established and has won a cup, long term Beaulieu could be worth more...

But...to say that Saad is wroth Beaulieu AND Galchenyuk...I think Bowman was just swinging for the fences. Maybe Chicago was adding something more(1st rounder or good prospect) but it would make little sense for the Habs.

Been waiting for a top 6 talented center that's 6'1+ for 2 decades, sure as hell not going to trade him for a winger now....only in Bowman's wildest dreams he'd successfully make that trade. For Beaulieu and a pick I would've done it in a second though...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Been waiting for a top 6 talented center that's 6'1+ for 2 decades, sure as hell not going to trade him for a winger now....only in Bowman's wildest dreams he'd successfully make that trade. For Beaulieu and a pick I would've done it in a second though...

I don't blame him for asking.

There are dumb GM's out there...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's more like "Bergevin said no thanks to the asking price for Brandon Saad".

I don't blame him. That's pretty steep. I'm a Saad faan but I probably would've balked too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad