News Article: Bergevin said no thanks to Brandon Saad.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I doubt this is true. Lavoie said it during the game. Galchenyuk scored 6 less points.
Maybe it was Chicago simply starting high and trying to work down. I doubt that was their actual demand.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Heard this during the TVA broadcast. Don't if it's true or not but Im glad MB hung up ;)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No one at Spanre is claiming credit for that blurb?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
They settled on Dano and Anisimov...a late first rounder and a middle-six center. While Dano is a solid prospect, these 2 aren't even close to the value of Chucky and Beaulieu.

Probably just his starting point.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
No way that's true. If so, it was just to see how highly people thought of Saad.

Dearly missed on the Blackhawks but he just wanted too much $$$

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Doesn't take a smart man to turn that trade down. I'm also sure that most trades to begin like that, and then you deal down. Had Saad come to us, Galchenyuk most likely would not have been involved, but you don't win trades by starting at par and then dealing down.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
this could be the reason for Bergevin's use of an NHL16 reference at his presser :sarcasm:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Would have needed to send a forward back, not Beaulieu. Getting Saad doesn't help much if it wrecks our defensive corps. I would do this at Eller + prospect which is similar to what Columbus did.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'm trying to find to closest thing to the CBJ deal: Eller Scherbak and the picks.

That's a far cry from Bro and Galchenyuk. Not convinced these negotiations happened. Rumours man, they're almost legends.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
No way this is true. Lavoie is NOT reliable.

Maybe they asked for Galchenyuk or Beaulieu...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Would you trade Beaulieu (alone) for Saad ?

Absolutely yes I would have, especially with Petry extending

Don't get me wrong I love Beaulieu, but he could have been replaced unlike a player like Saad which we don't have in the minors.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Absolutely yes I would have, especially with Petry extending

Don't get me wrong I love Beaulieu, but he could have been replaced unlike a player like Saad which we don't have in the minors.

Beaulieu is not easily to replace.

There is the potential factor, where what he might become if he progress, is all not easily replace. If he reaches his 35-40 point offensive potential and remains consistent on the back end, he could be a better Petry.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Beaulieu is not easily to replace.

There is the potential factor, where what he might become if he progress, is all not easily replace. If he reaches his 35-40 point offensive potential and remains consistent on the back end, he could be a better Petry.

He could definitely be that guy, but who is our Saad in the minors?

With Markov still around 2 seasons, Subban and Petry were pretty solid at the top 3.

Imagine having Saad instead of Eller on that line for example. I just think our lineup becomes even deeper with him up front.

Anyways it's all good, Beaulieu ain't getting moved.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Gainey would've added a 1st pick just to make sure no one would outbid him

I'm sure Gainey would have replied - ''Of course not, Saad is far too inexperienced. On the other hand we'd reeeeally like a reliable veteran like Patrick Sharp!! So how about we add a 1st rounder and a third rounder, make you add a random no name prospect and call it a deal?''

Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, 1st, 3rd

vs

Sharp, Luc Snuggerud and a 5th

SOLID GAINEY DEAL!

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

With Markov still around 2 seasons, Subban and Petry were pretty solid at the top 3.

Imagine having Saad instead of Eller on that line for example. I just think our lineup becomes even deeper with him up front.

We might not have a Saad in the minors but we also don't have a LD prospect either to replace Beaulieu. Considering Markov's age he could drop off at anytime and we need someone that will be able to step up and fill that void and without Beaulieu our defence would look weaker, add on to that having to take on Saad's big contract wouldn't give us much cap room to sign a decent replacement.

It's a tough trade, Beaulieu is already showing some of his great potential and has really come a long way defensively while Saad could blossom into a 35 goal man. Galchenyuk + Beaulieu for Saad however, is a farce.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Saad might be a 30 goal scorer in the making, but a 5.5 million 30 goalscorer will not stabilize a team's ability to win games like another quality defensive pairing.

Not having 3 quality defensive pairs is a guarantee of failure to win the Cup. Philly had the Pronger pairing and the Timonen pairing, and that was not enough to save them from the garbage pairing of Bartulus.

Beaulieu's cheap contract and potential is more valuable than Salad. He might even pan out in a way similar to Josi when Markov retires and he and Subban become a pairing, where he is a 4 to 5 million dollar player generating 50+ points.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I wouldn't have traded Chucky straight up for Saad, let alone Beaulieu on top of that. Even Beaulieu alone would likely hurt the team more than it'd help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad