News Article: Bergevin said no thanks to Brandon Saad.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We don't have anyone to replace Beaulieu internally either. We're extremely weak on LD but have 3-4 prospects at LW with top 6 potential. Though none of them play like Saad.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Adding Beaulieu is ridiculous,... On the other hand while Bergevin would have lost massively on paper with a Saad-Galch only swap, it would have imo still upgraded last years team...

Instead of being stuck fitting a square peg in a round hole, you would get a bona fide natural winger playing wing. You would have left Chicago to figure out if Galchenyuk should instead be moved to Center.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They needed a top 6 center, so it wouldn't have been difficult decision. That's why they asked Anisimov to be added.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Adding Beaulieu is ridiculous,... On the other hand while Bergevin would have lost massively on paper with a Saad-Galch only swap, it would have imo still upgraded last years team...

Instead of being stuck fitting a square peg in a round hole, you would get a bona fide natural winger playing wing. You would have left Chicago to figure out if Galchenyuk should instead be moved to Center.

Last season Saad had 6 more points than Galchenyuk, playing with Toews, Kane, Hossa etc.

Just saying.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
He should of replied Desharnais and Tokarski for someone on their team.

I suppose he answered with EA nhl scripted message of: "Here in montreal we take trading seriously......"

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Would be interesting to know what MB countered with. I doubt Stan's first offer to the Jackets was for Anisimov + Dano.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Given that Saad wanted a $6M contract, Bergevin probably couldn't have said 'yes' to Brandon Saad even if he wanted to.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
The equivalent to Jeremy Morin, Marko Daňo, Artem Anisimov, Corey Tropp and a fourth-round draft pick in 2016

would be:

Connor Crisp, Charles Hudon, Lars Eller, Dalton Thrower and a fourth-round draft pick in 2016.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Spanre can't even have someone working for them, put their name as the author of a blurb where the Hawks made a supposed pitch to the Habs, I would be very skeptical of the "information" now being publicized. Plus, as we well know, there are tons of conversations between GMs that go nowhere and are never divulged. Why this one merits any greater consideration just because it was contained in an anonymous blurb, is a tough sell.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Just want to point out that this is where having a GM that is incapable of signing/attracting UFA except for the bargain bin variety really hurts us. Signing conn smythe winner Justin Williams for 3.25M is better than giving up Galchenyuk + Beaulieu for Saad at 6M.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I would love to get Saad on the team, but not at the expense of losing Chucky. You just can't make that deal and I'm happy Bergy didn't.

Now, how do we get Panarin away from those guys...:naughty:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Just want to point out that this is where having a GM that is incapable of signing/attracting UFA except for the bargain bin variety really hurts us. Signing conn smythe winner Justin Williams for 3.25M is better than giving up Galchenyuk + Beaulieu for Saad at 6M.

But he didn't trade Galchenyuk and Beaulieu for Saad, so what's your point?

Williams is hardly a top 6 forward at this point anyway.

Nynja*

Saad has 3G1A (ALL on the powerplay might I add) in what was projected to be a "very offensive" Blue Jackets team...yet he's a -6 (I know, +/- is bull) and the team is 0-6-0 so far. He got his payday by getting his stats padded by playing on a stacked Hawks team, and now Columbus is going to pay long term for their move.

TOPCOP hasnt been doing a good job in nets, but at the same time:
26th in zone start percentage
14th in Corsi
24th in shooting percentage
30th in 5v5 goal differential (-13)
23rd in FO%
24th in shot attempts at score close

These arent goaltender stats...and if anyone wants to say "well thats not on Saad"...yeah, it kinda is, seeing as how Lumbus had to mortgage some pieces and a good chunk of cap space to get Saad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
But he didn't trade Galchenyuk and Beaulieu for Saad, so what's your point?

Williams is hardly a top 6 forward at this point anyway.

Just that Williams put up similar production than Saad at half the salary and we wouldn't have to give up any assets in order to get him. If this is precedent for the asking prices at trade deadline then good luck. He's also one year removed from winning the conn smythe. I'd go JT short term and Saad long term when factoring in age.

HockeyFan87

Apr 5, 2012
That offer was disgusting.

Bowman literally insulted Bergevin and disrespected him by asking for that package imo.

I hope Bergevin hanged up on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad