Bergevin: "I look to make this team better everyday"

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Get rid of Bourque and Briere and acquire Vanek and Jagr somehow and this team would be exponentially better come playoff time. (obviously not those 2 players for those 2 players but other pieces)

However, it's a pipe dream and this is most likely the framework of what we'll stick with with perhaps a grinder or 2 more added at the TDL

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Get rid of Bourque and Briere and acquire Vanek and Jagr somehow and this team would be exponentially better come playoff time. (obviously not those 2 players for those 2 players but other pieces)

However, it's a pipe dream and this is most likely the framework of what we'll stick with with perhaps a grinder or 2 more added at the TDL

Vanek signing here is impossible. I agree with signing Jagr as a free agent but we just signed Briere :)shakehead) plus why would we give up assets for Jagr if he's only here for 1 year ?

QuickWrister

Nov 25, 2013
London, ON
It would be a great move to land Vanek. But expensive.

Buffalo already kept cap money for Vanek. Islanders can do it too if the return is tempting enough.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
It would be a great move to land Vanek. But expensive.

Buffalo already kept cap money for Vanek. Islanders can do it too if the return is tempting enough.

I wish he didn't have Briere's cap hit... Bergevin sucks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Vanek's already been traded to a team it doesn't look like he'll sign with. I certainly wouldn't deal for him without some assurance that he'd stay.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have no idea if Bergevin's plan is to tank, to compete for the cup, or if he's aiming for a first round exit.

If they're not competing for the cup, then they should trade Markov... and possibly Gorges, Moen, Murray, Gionta.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
MB wants to score the big draft pick. Markov is all but gone

I don't disagree on trading him. Just worried what he get back

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I have no idea if Bergevin's plan is to tank, to compete for the cup, or if he's aiming for a first round exit.

If they're not competing for the cup, then they should trade Markov... and possibly Gorges, Moen, Murray, Gionta.

My guess is 1st round exits until his draft picks become key players.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Bergevin has been doing his best Scrooge McDuck imitation, stashing cap space in his piggybank and sitting on it. Time to use it, either now or in the off-season. Even after signing Subban and Markov he'll still have lots of cash to play with. Who better to spend it on than a real game-breaker like Vanek. Expensive? Damn straight. But if that's what it costs to add an elite 1st-line forward to our flaccid offence, do it.

Mid-level depth we have. Snipers we don't. The money's there -- target phasers on a top UFA and take a shot.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Bergevin has been doing his best Scrooge McDuck imitation, stashing cap space in his piggybank and sitting on it. Even after signing Subban and Markov he'll still have lots of cash to play with. Who better to spend it on than a real game-breaker like Vanek. Expensive? Damn straight. But if that's what it costs to add an elite 1st-line forward to our flaccid offence, do it.

He's signing in Minnesota, I'd bet my house on it.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Bergevin has been doing his best Scrooge McDuck imitation, stashing cap space in his piggybank and sitting on it. Time to use it, either now or in the off-season. Even after signing Subban and Markov he'll still have lots of cash to play with. Who better to spend it on than a real game-breaker like Vanek. Expensive? Damn straight. But if that's what it costs to add an elite 1st-line forward to our flaccid offence, do it.

Mid-level depth we have. Snipers we don't. The money's there -- target phasers on a top UFA and take a shot.

Markov is all but gone. His knees are done sooner then later. Live him. But his trade will beef the future

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

To get Vanek out of the Island will cost assets...probably cost way too much...that being said, next July he is free, outside of the 50M he wants for a contract...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Markov is all but gone. His knees are done sooner then later. Live him. But his trade will beef the future

Markov has been 100% healthy for over a year. His knees are fine. However, yeah, he's not getting younger and there's upside to trading him now for maximum value. But he'll be re-signed anyway.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Markov has been 100% healthy for over a year. His knees are fine. However, yeah, he's not getting younger and there's upside to trading him now for maximum value. But he'll be re-signed anyway.
Could they trade him, and then bring him back in July? Would Markov let them do that?? Sundin didn't let the Leafs do it...

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Vanek wants nothing to do with Buff/New York he wants to go to Minny he is not a guy that would sign here, I don't think he likes the pressure of playing in a big market like Montreal

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Vanek wants nothing to do with Buff/New York he wants to go to Minny he is not a guy that would sign here, I don't think he likes the pressure of playing in a big market like Montreal

He would be a 18 goal a year guy here...lol

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Its time for management and the fans to accept the fact that this team just isn't very good and isn't close to seriously competing. Its time to tank, trade Markov for the best return possible (good prospect + draft pick) and hope we pick in the top 10.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He's signing in Minnesota, I'd bet my house on it.

To get Vanek out of the Island will cost assets...probably cost way too much...that being said, next July he is free, outside of the 50M he wants for a contract...

Forget dealing with the Islanders, I'm looking to this summer when Vanek becomes a UFA. And yeah, I keep hearing about this Minnesota thing, but even though it's certainly possible I think he'll be open to all deals. Why Montreal? Well... why not? As long as money's good, we've got a winning team and a cool city to offer. I'm tired of this inferiority complex we carry around that this franchise can't get top players. Screw that -- turn on the charm and open the bank, Marc! And if Vanek refuses to dance, go after Matt Moulson or kiss-up to Hemsky.

Got another way to get a good forward? I'd love to hear it...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

If he really doesn't want to play for a big market, fine. Nothing we can do. But until that's clear, Bergevin should mount an all-out offensive to try. I'd be happy with Moulson. The point is this team absolutely needs a top-six winger. Trading for one will require trading away at least one top roster player. I'd rather spend money.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Forget dealing with the Islanders, I'm looking to this summer when Vanek becomes a UFA. And yeah, I keep hearing about this Minnesota thing, but even though it's certainly possible I think he'll be open to all deals. Why Montreal? Well... why not? As long as money's good, we've got a winning team and a cool city to offer. I'm tired of this inferiority complex we carry around that this franchise can't get top players. Screw that -- turn on the charm and open the bank, Marc! And if Vanek refuses to dance, go after Matt Moulson or kiss-up to Hemsky.

Got another way to get a good forward? I'd love to hear it...

There are definitely a handful of goal scoring wingers that will be available through free agency this summer. Another positive in trading Diaz is that at least 2 of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn will play full time. Meaning 2-3 defensemen on cheap ELCs and more cap space to sign a top6 winger!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad