Bergevin: "I look to make this team better everyday"

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
More like using words like "similar package" without being specific to denote a package of players that are not at all similar but in a Bergevin hating mind should have got a deal done if only the GM wasn't sitting in his hands.

Let's call it the way it is, if Bergevin struck a deal for Ryan this poster would cry foul that Bergevin overpaid and killed the team's future.
Actually, as I alluded to earlier in this thread, many of us didn't blame him at all for not making that move. Ryan was clearly expensive (whatever it would've been - and it probably would've included Beaulieu.) And I liked the fact that he didn't cave to Vinny's demands either. I credit him for having the balls to stand his ground there.

Then he went and got Briere...

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
I wouldn't call myself a true Habs fans but I do tend to cheer for them and my gf loves them, I wouldnt mind seeing PK moved to make the team better, he would fetch a hefty return and could essentially MAKE THE HABS A LEGIT CONTENDER as long as the right pieces come back

I wont speculate any trades cuz they will just get ripped apart

tried to post in another thread as it was getting locked so i came here

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I wouldn't call myself a true Habs fans but I do tend to cheer for them and my gf loves them, I wouldnt mind seeing PK moved to make the team better, he would fetch a hefty return and could essentially MAKE THE HABS A LEGIT CONTENDER as long as the right pieces come back

I wont speculate any trades cuz they will just get ripped apart

tried to post in another thread as it was getting locked so i came here

The problem is that giving away Subban would leave us with Markov as our #1 and Emelin/Gorges as our #2.

The D-pairings would then be:

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Brolieu
Murray-Bouillon/Drewiske

I don't know about you but that is arguably the worst defence in the league. Not to mention that all of them are LD.

Let's say they do trade Subban. There's no way they receive a top pairing defence man and a top line player for him. At best they would get a Top line winger and a #3 with some picks or mediocre prospects, which again wouldn't really make a difference. Would a Girardi and Callahan or Eberle/Yakupov and Schultz or Couture and Demers really make the Habs legit contenders. Btw, these are just some proposed trades that I've seen recently, which I consider best case scenarios, so I'm not saying they are necessarily realistic.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The problem is that giving away Subban would leave us with Markov as our #1 and Emelin/Gorges as our #2.

The D-pairings would then be:

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Brolieu
Murray-Bouillon/Drewiske

I don't know about you but that is arguably the worst defence in the league. Not to mention that all of them are LD.

Let's say they do trade Subban. There's no way they receive a top pairing defence man and a top line player for him. At best they would get a Top line winger and a #3 with some picks or mediocre prospects, which again wouldn't really make a difference. Would a Girardi and Callahan or Eberle/Yakupov and Schultz or Couture and Demers really make the Habs legit contenders. Btw, these are just some proposed trades that I've seen recently, which I consider best case scenarios, so I'm not saying they are necessarily realistic.

who's broliu ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Nathan Beaulieu, but he's too much of a bro to not be called Brolieu.

I figured with Subban traded, he would move up to our second pairing instead of Bouillon.

seriously, if I was to make a list of the stupidest nicknames I've ever heard/read... that'd be #1 :shakehead

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
seriously, if I was to make a list of the stupidest nicknames I've ever heard/read... that'd be #1 :shakehead

Yep. The only thing worse was listening to Dennis, I've never seen a name I couldn't butcher at least as bad as Joe Bowen, Beyak dealing with the pairing of Bouillon and Beaulieu during the TSN broadcast of the 1st Mtl-Wpg game. He kept saying "boy-low passes to boooooo-leeeeeeeeon." it hurt so bad! To paraphrase the immortal Denis Lemieux, "Oh, my hallergy to the hanglish!"

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Last year well before the deadline - Drewiske for a 5th

This year well before the deadline - Weise for Diaz

I think it's safe to say he's done, ca sent la coupe

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
MB is not done, I may be wrong, but I bet he works a deal with LA

He has a few things to do.

Trade Markov.
Try to find a taker for Bourque, Briere, Bouillon, Murray, Gionta and Moen.

I doubt many of those in the last list go.. Bouillon and Murray especially. The other four you can make a case for why teams might decide to pick them up.
Bourque: reclamation project.
Briere: Powerplay scoring in the play-offs.
Gionta: Leadership, "defensive play" and winning pedigree.
Moen: Bottom 6 grinder, PKer, Play-off and Stanley Cup experience.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
One thing's for sure, MB isn't finished. Unlike last season he is trying, as discussed by almost every hockey expert the habs management has been active in trade discussions.

Another thing, next year it's a guarantee that Galchenyuk moves to C....obviously this means at least 1 center has to be moved out. So bye bye one of DD/Eller. And finally my last point, we're losing our second line RWer, somebody has to replace Gio.

Expect a much different looking team next season.

The core for next season:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

XXXXX - Galchenyuk - XXXXX

Prust - Eller/Desharnais - Briere

Moen - Bournival - Weise/White

Gorges - Subban

XXXXX - Emelin

Beaulieu/Tinordi - XXXXX

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Let's hope the Habs can make some more moves to fill the holes still in our lineup. That's the ones that are there before our prospects move up and take their spots, meaning all at once the team will be a well balanced unit. With no holes that can't be filled from the depth in Hamilton, the way it's supposed to work.

It's worked in the past and Bergevin seems to be quite aware of how to do this, watching his moves so far as GM! Hoorah is all I can say it's looking great and the team is starting to become a really solid one from the bottom up, the right way from goalie, to defence, to offence. The addition of the appropriate grinders along the way is just a bonus, this team is slowly becoming tougher and acquiring the offence through the draft to complement our veterans.

By the time Galchenyuk is ready, this team will be getting "Rock Steady" tough from back to front, with character, speed, talent and "Teamplay", No Excuses necessary.:handclap: The Berg's the Word! Iceberg that is!

thom

Mar 6, 2012
When is the last time a GM stole a future star in a trade-Vancouver Canucks when they stole Naslund from Penguins for a tough guy who never really played.That was 17 yrs ago.To make a trade that will change your team you need to trade one of your core players and get a core player in exchange

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When is the last time a GM stole a future star in a trade-Vancouver Canucks when they stole Naslund from Penguins for a tough guy who never really played.That was 17 yrs ago.To make a trade that will change your team you need to trade one of your core players and get a core player in exchange
Prospects get dealt all the time and turn out to be great players. McD, JVRD, Rask, Chara.... all were dealt as prospects and there's tons more I'm sure you could come up with.
LA is the team he needs to talk to,
If it is, I hope to God it's TT that he consults with and not Dudley. Timmins knows what he's doing and could help us identify the best prospects out there. If we're going to go that route to begin with that is...

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I agree Guy but if you trade a top prospect you better make sure the player you get is a top 6 player who can play for yrs to come

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree Guy but if you trade a top prospect you better make sure the player you get is a top 6 player who can play for yrs to come
I don't disagree at all. That's what made the Gomez move so terrible. And I didn't understand the Leafs dealing Rask for a goalie who was coming off a bad year either.

If you're going to deal a good prospect, you should really only do it if you're a contending team that has a chance to win and the deal is going to put you over the top. Maybe if you have an abundance in one area you could do it... but you're right, if you're giving up the prospect you'd better damn well be getting something solid in return.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't disagree at all. That's what made the Gomez move so terrible. And I didn't understand the Leafs dealing Rask for a goalie who was coming off a bad year either.

If you're going to deal a good prospect, you should really only do it if you're a contending team that has a chance to win and the deal is going to put you over the top. Maybe if you have an abundance in one area you could do it... but you're right, if you're giving up the prospect you'd better damn well be getting something solid in return.

I don't think you need to absolutely be a contender, but if you move a solid prospect you better get a guy that will be here for quite some time, like the Ryan and Seguin trades.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He has a few things to do.

Trade Markov.
Try to find a taker for Bourque, Briere, Bouillon, Murray, Gionta and Moen.

I doubt many of those in the last list go.. Bouillon and Murray especially. The other four you can make a case for why teams might decide to pick them up.
Bourque: reclamation project.
Briere: Powerplay scoring in the play-offs.
Gionta: Leadership, "defensive play" and winning pedigree.
Moen: Bottom 6 grinder, PKer, Play-off and Stanley Cup experience.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Bergevin moves anybody.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think you need to absolutely be a contender, but if you move a solid prospect you better get a guy that will be here for quite some time, like the Ryan and Seguin trades.
Yes, it depends on the circumstances. I'd have been okay for example with dealing Fucale for a young player who can help us now. Gets us closer to becoming a contender so I'd be cool with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad