Post-Game Talk: Bergevin gets reprieve, Habs over Peg 4-2!

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If only the Oilers had beaten the Flames.....
Flames lookin dangerous all of a sudden and im not likin it.

Mike Smith has somehow put up a .922 save % after putting up a .900 save % the last two years. I can see the Oilers dropping once he falls back to earth, Calgary has looked good so I can see them continue to put up points.

Habs play the the Oilers 3 times in a row next week and then Edmonton also have Calgary/Toronto/Winnipeg twice each in their next 9 games, with the Habs 3 points back of them with 3 games in hand hopefully they can move past Edmonton and create some separation.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I know most of you despise him. I never got the hate but whatever. Pacioretty is having a good season. 24th scorer in the league. I'm happy he is having success in Vegas. Always liked him, liked him more before he was captain (39-37 goals) he still did okay first two years then shit the bed.

Which was super weird (that people hated him), as people also complained about not having a goalscorer and he was just under our nose.
He's currently 29th in goals amongst all players post-lockout, 7th since 2011 which is when he "really" took off.

I guess since he was a big body, people disliked the fact that he became more of a perimeter player after his injury. Still he scored goals at an elite pace.

Reactions: dcyhabs

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think the people who want Bergevin fired have been pretty vocal for awhile. There was no hibernation to be awoken from.
They been pretty quiet after the amazing off season they had, and after that hot start is was crickets and tumbleweed.

Of course you had the delusional diehards....but overall it was pretty quiet right up until about a week ago and of course they were in full flight approaching Mach 2.0 with their performances in Calgary.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If we make the playoffs, I kind of want a crack at the Leafs so we can have a chance to crush their dreams.
For sure. If Price was red hot for it.......it could be done.

But The Habs have to get in.

My picks remain the same for the four play off teams in the Shinny division.
Leafs , Oilers, Jets , Flames.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I'll predict Oilers drop out of the playoffs. Like the Leafs, they're overly dependent on their top line, which should gradually catch up to those players over a compressed season. There are only four forwards in the NHL averaging over 22 minutes TOI: Marner, McDavid, Draisaitl, and Matthews. It doesn't stop there for Edmonton: Nugent-Hopkins has the 9th most TOI among forwards and Nurse has the 4th most TOI for all players. That kind of imbalance is unsustainable.

Among goalies, Andersen and Hellebuyck are #3 and 4 in TOI (Grubauer and Gibson are 1 and 2). Playoffs haven't been kind to teams that overuse their goalies; we'll see how it pans out with a season that's shorter but compressed.

Reactions: salbutera

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

I don't know how sustainable the Flames system is over 10+ games. They have 12 games in the next 20 days. They might get gassed in the last 4-5 of that stretch

Reactions: BLONG7

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'll predict Oilers drop out of the playoffs. Like the Leafs, they're overly dependent on their top line, which should gradually catch up to those players over a compressed season. There are only four forwards in the NHL averaging over 22 minutes TOI: Marner, McDavid, Draisaitl, and Matthews. It doesn't stop there for Edmonton: Nugent-Hopkins has the 9th most TOI among forwards and Nurse has the 4th most TOI for all players. That kind of imbalance is unsustainable.

Among goalies, Andersen and Hellebuyck are #3 and 4 in TOI (Grubauer and Gibson are 1 and 2). Playoffs haven't been kind to teams that overuse their goalies; we'll see how it pans out with a season that's shorter but compressed.

This will be interesting to revisit after the season...

Unprecedented situation and at the surface, your take seems reasonable, but I also think the brevity of the season itself combined with the reality that both groups of players got more rest/downtime in the past 12 months than ever in their late-teen/adult life, might prove otherwise...

The bigger risk imo may be injury from the volume of use, but as far as having enough in the tank to maintain a high level for 2-3 more months? I wouldn't bet against it.

Reactions: Lshap

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
This team is way too soft up front for a playoff grind. They need to find a way to get rid of Leks, Byron, Tatar and take some size back. Team is getting crushed on the wall still and on the down low cycle.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think Drouin would have to be part of the package for sure.
We do have too many guys who play soft....it is changing, but there are still passengers. Gotta give JD credit, where it's due though, he is a playmaker, and has had a decent start to the season, but he has more to give.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Leafs deciding to hand out points to all the teams now is making it hard to lock into 4th.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We do have too many guys who play soft....it is changing, but there are still passengers. Gotta give JD credit, where it's due though, he is a playmaker, and has had a decent start to the season, but he has more to give.

I think we should get Mantha and Virtanen and need one more piece on the blueline. I wonder if this is possible this season?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They been pretty quiet after the amazing off season they had, and after that hot start is was crickets and tumbleweed.

Of course you had the delusional diehards....but overall it was pretty quiet right up until about a week ago and of course they were in full flight approaching Mach 2.0 with their performances in Calgary.

Honestly, I think the only reason you weren’t hearing about it as much is because the fans and media were busy crucifying Price. Now that Price is playing well, people can’t blame him for all the teams problems when they don’t deliver results.

Reactions: jaffy27

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I know the PK let in a couple goals, but I see some systematic improvements.

The habs are a bit more aggressive on the kill, and I think that's going to work out well in the long run.

That's also the main improvement I'm seeing on the PP. It's not that they are doing much different on it when they set up, but the big difference to me is that they are developing a wolf pack mentality in grabbing those loose pucks so they can at least increase their zone time. There is alot more determination and intensity being exerted to keep pucks in, and to pressure the PK when they have clearing opportunities.

Some of the best PP opportunities come from failed clearing attempts, and we are finally starting to see it happen for the habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad