Confirmed with Link: Bergeron - Signs 8yrs/52mill

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
If he has to retire due to head injuries, they'll LTIR him. Relatively no-risk. Years down the road Chiarelli is banking on the cap going up and it definitely will. Revenue is through the roof. It'll be up higher than ever in 2-3 years.

Glad to have him locked up, does things the right way.

winterwill

Apr 13, 2006
Bear Island
One of my favorite all-time Bruins.
Defines what Bruin hockey is to the max.
Glad he's locked up long-term. Hope he's a Bruin for life.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Bergeron is such an intelligent player,I could easily see him playing until the age of 40,maybe even a little beyond 40.

I heard the same crap about Savard,"finesse,intelligent players play longer". No they don't. Lucky players play longer. 90% or more are out by 35. In 2011-12,48 players of 35+ played 50 games. The league had around 514 players play 50 games.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Any player can have his career ended with one hit. If you want to play with the bog boys then you have to give big boy contracts. Bergy has played the vast majority of games in 8 of his 9 seasons in the NHL, including the past 5 seasons in a row. That's a pretty good track record. No way should his injury years ago have been a factor in his signing, and obviously Chia wasn't concerned.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Any player can have his career ended with one hit. If you want to play with the bog boys then you have to give big boy contracts. Bergy has played the vast majority of games in 8 of his 9 seasons in the NHL, including the past 5 seasons in a row. That's a pretty good track record. No way should his injury years ago have been a factor in his signing, and obviously Chia wasn't concerned.

Ain't your money. Saying Bergeron will play past 35 is saying he's a 10 per center. The more games you play,the greater the odds you get nicked or hurt. He's been seriously hurt.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Ain't your money. Saying Bergeron will play past 35 is saying he's a 10 per center. The more games you play,the greater the odds you get nicked or hurt. He's been seriously hurt.

Ain't my money, but the person's money who it was decided to sign him. Saying he is a "10 per center" is ludicrous beyond belief. Most players don't play past 35 because they are not good enough, not because of injuries. Simply dividing the number of NHLers by the number of players over 35 is laughable in trying to show that Bergeron in particular is a so-called "10 per center." Very poor logic.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ain't my money, but the person's money who it was decided to sign him. Saying he is a "10 per center" is ludicrous beyond belief. Most players don't play past 35 because they are not good enough, not because of injuries. Simply dividing the number of NHLers by the number of players over 35 is laughable in trying to show that Bergeron in particular is a so-called "10 per center." Very poor logic.

Better do a little more research buddy. Bergeron is not a 10 per center yet. Iginla is,Alfredsson is.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I am fundamentally against anything beyond 5 years for any player. It's too hard to forecast out further what the economy, game and player could be.

Having said that if there is one player I'd be willing to be an exception, it would be Bergeron. I place a high value on the intangibles he brings. Above most others.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What do these players have in common? Orr,Lindros,LaFontaine,Kariya,Forsberg,P Bure,Bossy,Lemieux,Scott Stevens,Staal,Neely,Savard,Berard,Drury,Courtnall,Deadmarsh,Primeau........................................

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
What do these players have in common? Orr,Lindros,LaFontaine,Kariya,Forsberg,P Bure,Bossy,Lemieux,Scott Stevens,Staal,Neely,Savard,Berard,Drury,Courtnall,Deadmarsh,Primeau........................................

It would be very unfortunate if his career was cut short due to injury for Patrice and the Bruins however if that were to happen it would likley be later in the contract when he is past his prime and he would go on LTIR and either way they could spend his money.

Take for example the Boston Bruins, they are currently respending Marc Savard's cap money and did so when they won the cup while Savard is getting paid by insurance.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Bobby Orr was the greatest player in the history of the NHL and a living legend. I love Bergeron unreservedly, but he can't be compared to Orr, and never will be.

Bergeron is my favorite player in the league, and an absolute joy to watch, but this ^ ...is true.

Bergy plays within a mold, at the highest possible level. But Bobby shattered all molds and completely recreated the game.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It would be very unfortunate if his career was cut short due to injury for Patrice and the Bruins however if that were to happen it would likley be later in the contract when he is past his prime and he would go on LTIR and either way they could spend his money.

Take for example the Boston Bruins, they are currently respending Marc Savard's cap money and did so when they won the cup while Savard is getting paid by insurance.

I somewhat agree. He's had 4 concussions in his first 7 years I think,one was very serious. By age 35,most NHL players have declined about 35% from peak anyway and about 90% have hung it up. Post 35 production is pure friggin luck. I'd say this contract would be a tad more risky than another player of no concussion history. I would have tossed the dice also on Bergeron.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire

Yeah, but he was 22 years old for God's sake, and since then he has had seasons of 64, 73, 81, 80 and 42 (out of 48). Not to mention two very long playoff runs.

He is honestly in no more danger of injury than any other player in the league at any given moment.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yeah, but he was 22 years old for God's sake, and since then he has had seasons of 64, 73, 81, 80 and 42 (out of 48). Not to mention two very long playoff runs.

He is honestly in no more danger of injury than any other player in the league at any given moment.

Said Marc Savard.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Keep banging that drum. Doesn't make it true. Doesn't make it false. I'll take that commitment for 37. As much as the message was sent to ALL the team re: Seguin, this also sends a message.

And I get the deification of Orr, but at some point, just please, stop.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Keep banging that drum. Doesn't make it true. Doesn't make it false. I'll take that commitment for 37. As much as the message was sent to ALL the team re: Seguin, this also sends a message.

And I get the deification of Orr, but at some point, just please, stop.

stop?? what?? Orr is the reason I am a bruins fan for over 30 years...wow...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad