Berger: Leafs Working On Trade To Move D-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
After watching this team so far, we shouldn't be looking at moving a defenceman, should be looking to ADD.

A big #1 center would be great, but I feel that is something we could use, where a shutdown defender is something we NEED.

If we were to protect a lead in the playoffs, who would we want out on the ice in the last 2 minutes of a game? Hard pressed to come up with a pairing right now. I feel that both Phaneuf and Gunar are mis-placed as the top shutdown pairing and need help in this area. They are also over-worked and it will start to show more as season progresses.

Not sure who is available or what the cost would be, but we don't necessarily need a Norris Trophy candidate, just a solid stay-at-home type who plays a safe game. Someone in the Sylvain Lefebvre mold.

Also....as much as I have been impressed by Morgan Reilly, I would send him back to junior. Since the AHL is not an option, I feel that if there is any doubt whatsoever with young players, always better to be cautious and give him more time to develop. He may have outgrown junior hockey to some extent, but very few players have been ruined by spending more time in the junior or minor leagues.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Jake Gardiner and Tyler Biggs to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov.

I wouldn't be using a valuable asset like Gardiner to add to the position where the club is the deepest. Didn't you say that the wing is the least important position on a hockey club?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
After watching this team so far, we shouldn't be looking at moving a defenceman, should be looking to ADD.

right handed shut down dman would be ideal
I still think Z Michalek would be an interesting target

and leafs if adding a defensemen kind of need to move one at the same time...with numbers and cap space

Gunner for me seems to be the best option, has value, decent cap hit and a left to right switch

Liles would be the obvious choice but no value

Other options,

Bieksa would be great but would cost a lot
Giradi, same
Robidas, not exactly a front of the net clearer, solid defensively and would cost less
Sarich, not as good but cost would be relative

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They need an upgrade for Gunnarsson. The guy could be an ok 2nd or 3rd line guy but he's not a #2 d-man and as long as he continues to match up against the Staal's of the league he'll get exposed.

That has been apparent for too long now. Definately the weak link that needs replacing.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I am so sick of watching Dion loose a puck battle - get stripped of the puck - get pushed off the puck - watch him be unable to move a body posted in front of net - and then yap all the way to bench when he's scored against.

Bottom line the D-Core is a mess. Dion has to be held accountable. If he's not gonna trade him - Nonis had better find a way to help insulate his glaring inefficiencies - and fast.
I think fans overrate Dion way too much here. Yeah, he plays over 20 minutes a game and I agree, there is some validity to saying they need to replace that but if you look at the contract situation, he'll hold the Leafs hostage.

Get something for him instead of having a contract war with him, I'm telling ya.

Do you think he'll take less money? I doubt it. He's not elite either and prone to lots of mistakes. The long-range plan should be a replacement, a capable dman who can play 20 mins a game.

In the meantime, try to upgrade and Liles/Gunner are pieces another team might want for depth and/or to shore up some of their own holes on D. Edmonton?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought this thread was about Leafs shopping a Dman. ;)

Getting a RHD should be the goal.

Tyler Myers or Doug Hamilton would be good longer term acquisitions.

But I keep forgetting the Leafs are in a win now mode.

Finding a team that is willing to give up a RHD who can play on the first pairing? I'm guessing Gardiner, Kulemin and a 1st. would be a opening bid. We're likely looking at a high price here.

A contender is unlikely to entertain trading their 1st. pairing RHD. There are what about 30 1st. pairing RHD in the league? Possibly fewer?

More likely looking at a 2nd. pairing RHD, that can play on the 1st. pair.

Most likely coming from a team in rebuild mode, and looking longer term.

I'd say right now most teams believe they are not rebuilding but going for a playoffs spot. In December the options would probably open up more than they are today.

Season|Player|Games|ETOI/g|Corsi Rel QoC
2013-2014|DIONPHANEUF|7|16.86|2.665
2013-2014|CARLGUNNARSSON|7|15.81|2.45
2013-2014|CODYFRANSON|7|15.53|-0.329
2013-2014|MORGANRIELLY|5|15.8|-0.951
2013-2014|MARKFRASER|2|8.84|-2.303
2013-2014|PAULRANGER|7|15.41|-3.216
2013-2014|JAKEGARDINER|7|15.86|-4.15

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

Finding a team that is willing to give up a RHD who can play on the first pairing? I'm guessing Gardiner, Kulemin and a 1st. would be a opening bid. We're likely looking at a high price here.

A contender is unlikely to entertain trading their 1st. pairing RHD. There are what about 30 1st. pairing RHD in the league? Possibly fewer?

I'd say right now most teams believe they are not rebuilding but going for a playoffs spot. In December the options would probably open up more than they are today.

I mentioned this in the trade thread.

We need more of that type of defenceman more than anything. Frankly I think two would be ideal.

I would love Girardi and Klein. Both RHD and solid. Girardi is a pending UFA but Klein is signed to a nice deal. Not sure what would have to be given up, I'd assume Nashville would want forward prospects. Acquiring both would likely mean Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Biggs, Ashton maybe Ross would be gone.

Phaneuf-Girardi
Rielly-Klein
Fraser/Ranger-Franson

imo there you have a nice mix of offence and defence. Also there is no left side right side issue here. I think this would clean up a lot of issues and make us a really strong team.

Further to this, I think this would make a good back up plan should Dion go. Having Girardi and Klein would help soften the blow of losing Dion's minutes over Gardiner and Gunnarsson.

Klein is on a good deal and I wonder if you could resign Girardi, if their two cap hits equal less than what Phaneuf will get, I think that is great value there.

Subtracting Dion's potential 7 million, Gunnarsson's 3.15 and Gardiner's potential 2, then adding Klein for 2.9 and resigning Girardi would save you approx 4 million, which combined with some extra cap relief next year can get you another solid dman.

leafstilldeath*

I was wondering if Philly would consider liles for Schenn. They get a PMD and we get stay at home hard hitting RHD who might flourish on the 2nd pairing with gards under carlyle.

Phaneuf-Franson
Gards-Schenn
Rielly-Fraser/Gunner

wulfio*

so you want to trade a promising dman for a guy who doesn't believe he needs to forecheck or play hard without the puck?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
so you want to trade a promising dman for a guy who doesn't believe he needs to forecheck or play hard without the puck?

Thats a fantastic spin job.

Don't act like Yakupov isn't an incredibly talented young player. Younger and more talented than JG.

Also, don't act like he's a complete cancer when theres a serious language barrier whereas JG is nothing but a fantastic gem that never makes mistakes.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

With Phaneuf and Franson being RD (not necessarily RH dman) in wouldn't be too concerned with bringing in a righty.

We need the left side to step up. Gunnar, Gardiner and Ranger all need to be better.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Man, I would trade anything for Justin Faulk at this point. This guy is well on his way to being a top pairing right d. Just so smart and steady. Great skater and strong on the puck. On the bright side, his game seems eerily similar to Rielly's except from the opposite side. The only difference is the slap shot really.

wulfio*

Thats a fantastic spin job.

Don't act like Yakupov isn't an incredibly talented young player. Younger and more talented than JG.

Also, don't act like he's a complete cancer when theres a serious language barrier whereas JG is nothing but a fantastic gem that never makes mistakes.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/14/edmonton-oilers-nail-yakupov-not-happy-about-sitting-out

“I love more playing with the puck. I don’t really like playing without the puck, skate all the time and do forecheck and hit somebody every shift — I don’t think it’s my game. I try to do it some time, but I’m not here to crush everything. I just want to play hockey.â€

Yakupov's english is fine, it's not like this is his first year in North America. There's nothing left for interpretation. he doesn't want to play hard nosed hockey. he will be scratched here more than he is in edmonton.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/14/edmonton-oilers-nail-yakupov-not-happy-about-sitting-out

“I love more playing with the puck. I don’t really like playing without the puck, skate all the time and do forecheck and hit somebody every shift — I don’t think it’s my game. I try to do it some time, but I’m not here to crush everything. I just want to play hockey.â€

Yakupov's english is fine, it's not like this is his first year in North America. There's nothing left for interpretation. he doesn't want to play hard nosed hockey. he will be scratched here more than he is in edmonton.

Sounds a lot like how Kessel played for his first 6-7 NHL seasons.

wulfio*

Sounds a lot like how Kessel played for his first 6-7 NHL seasons.

By all means, show me a quote where Kessel said he wouldn't forecheck or play hard away from the puck.

All I've seen from Kessel is a discernible effort to round out his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad