Berger: Leafs Working On Trade To Move D-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
If I was the Leafs I wouldn't be trading ANY defenceman. IMO it's been their weakest link so far this year so unless they got another decent d-man coming back I don't think it makes sense.

The only scenerio that would make some sense is if they trade Gards for a more stay at home guy that can be trusted with big minutes, but those types of defenceman aren't cheap or available at this point in the season. Gardiner may become expendable if Rielly continues to progress.

Speaking of Rielly, as good as he has looked we need to remember that he's only 19. He could hit the wall at any time, so the Leafs would be wise to stockpile defence even if they decide to keep Rielly for the season.

This team is 6-1 and looks like it may have goaltending good enough for a long playoff run. Let's add to our d not subtract.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I actually dont mind having Fraser on the team as he adds an element to the defence that we otherwise do not have much of, toughness.

I just find Ranger is the better player, and looks to be improving with each passing game.

Having both players available to play gives the defence good flexibility incase of injury.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I actually dont mind having Fraser on the team as he adds an element to the defence that we otherwise do not have much of, toughness.

I just find Ranger is the better player, and looks to be improving with each passing game.

Having both players available to play gives the defence good flexibility incase of injury.

Fraser or Ranger?

3rd. pairing defenders, not a huge issue.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I'm starting to think it would be smart to see if there is a market on Gunnar. He's pretty bad in the offensive zone and I see Ranger creating more offence and improving on D, Phaneuf can bail him out like he did a few times today with Gunnar.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Based on tonight's game you are supporting Ranger?

Yes. Neither played well today but I see that Ranger has more offensive instincts. He also has the ability to play the right side occasionally something that Gunnarsson does not seem to have in his skill set. We would probably get more in a trade with Gunnar and Ranger's caphit is likely to be lower than Gunnar next season where it's important we sign other key guys.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Based on tonight's game you are supporting Ranger?

You really seem to have a hate on for Paul. He has been much better as the season has gone on, and as much as you like to point out how bad Tampa was when he was a top 4 d, he was excellent. At the end of the day, he is a player who only wants to play for Toronto, was a very good D in the NHL a few years, is improving with the Leafs, and makes a whopping 1 million against the cap this year. Lots to be upset about I can see, and cost the Leafs nothing to aquire besides a roster spot.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Unless we're getting Brodin ( impossible), there is no need. Our speed game will expose stay at home types. If anything, we should have two shutdown pairs with Dion on one and Gunnars another. Franson can play a defensive role so pair him up with Gunnars.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hope Dion's the guy going, agree he's a key on the D, but no way he's worth what he'll be asking for, and he's not going to sign for less, package him with other assets to get a elite centre.

DaveT83*

I am so sick of watching Dion loose a puck battle - get stripped of the puck - get pushed off the puck - watch him be unable to move a body posted in front of net - and then yap all the way to bench when he's scored against.

Bottom line the D-Core is a mess. Dion has to be held accountable. If he's not gonna trade him - Nonis had better find a way to help insulate his glaring inefficiencies - and fast.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I am so sick of watching Dion loose a puck battle - get stripped of the puck - get pushed off the puck - watch him be unable to move a body posted in front of net - and then yap all the way to bench when he's scored against.

Bottom line the D-Core is a mess. Dion has to be held accountable. If he's not gonna trade him - Nonis had better find a way to help insulate his glaring inefficiencies - and fast.
should package him and PK for a couple of mid round picks

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'm starting to think it would be smart to see if there is a market on Gunnar. He's pretty bad in the offensive zone and I see Ranger creating more offence and improving on D, Phaneuf can bail him out like he did a few times today with Gunnar.

i agree with this. i think the if gardiner can get back to where he was in the playoffs and rielly can improve every game like he has been then its only a matter of time until gunnarson is passed on the depth chart.

gunnarson is probably our easiest defenseman to move. he is relatively inexpensive at just a shade over $3 million and doesnt have excessive term left on his contract. i think if we could move him for futures and clear up his $3 million in cap space it would be pretty helpful, especially if nonis wants to make a deal closer to the deadline. it would give him some cap flexibility.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

I actually agree with this. Phaneuf is a lazy brickhead in his own zone and Gunnar (whom I'm not even a fan on) has to cover up his laziness constantly by chasing guys outta position because lughead Phaneuf just stands in front not accomplishing anything, waving his stick at lose pucks.

I thought Ranger was good last night- a couple ill advised pinches at the blue line, but luckily the forward was smart enough to cover him. He's been moving better and making decent plays in his own end with each game. I'm still kind of a Fraser fanboy and love his toughness, but Ranger is definitely getting caught up with the speed of the NHL, IMO.

should package him and PK for a couple of mid round picks

Pathetic. Why not add something to the discussion instead of immature dull barbs? Worst thing is? I think you're actually a grown man, not just one of the teenage posters we've seen.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I actually agree with this. Phaneuf is a lazy brickhead in his own zone and Gunnar (whom I'm not even a fan on) has to cover up his laziness constantly by chasing guys outta position because lughead Phaneuf just stands in front not accomplishing anything, waving his stick at lose pucks.

I thought Ranger was good last night- a couple ill advised pinches at the blue line, but luckily the forward was smart enough to cover him. He's been moving better and making decent plays in his own end with each game. I'm still kind of a Fraser fanboy and love his toughness, but Ranger is definitely getting caught up with the speed of the NHL, IMO.

Pathetic. Why not add something to the discussion instead of immature dull barbs? Worst thing is? I think you're actually a grown man, not just one of the teenage posters we've seen.
lol so sorry my posting isn't up to your standards. feel free to add me to your ignore list

so sick of this guy's hatred for two of the Leafs best players. comments like his do not deserve a serious response. when he can be objective I'll give him a response that maybe even you would approve (that's all I really want; your approval)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad