Berger: Leafs Working On Trade To Move D-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I suppose with twitter the positive is there isn't enough time for Berger to mention something like that and bash Leaf fans at the same time.

An impressively vague statement. Without detail the Leafs "could be" working on a trade. I never would have guessed during the season that we could be working on trades ;). Just seems like a common sense speculation with how good Rielly has been and the issues we've had defensively.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Clearly its one of the defencemen on the roster-

Phaneuf: Nonis wouldn't be stupid enough to trade him without having someone who can step in and play his 25-30 mins a night against other teams top lines

Gardiner: This is a possibility! Gardiner and Rielly play the same type of game, it doesn't make sense to spend 2x the cap money on similar players. Gardiner is also still only 23 and has a lot of upside, I can see a lot of teams licking their chops to land him.

Franson: Hes another strong possibility too- The guy hasn't been playing well this season and maybe Nonis things he needs a change of scenery to benefit him. Not just that he's a UFA come July 5th, and based on his last 2 negotation rounds he'll prove to be a difficult signing and he's going to likely want a $5ishM/year deal, can we afford that? I don't know... might make sense to unload him

Ranger: I'd love to trade him, but man he's such a nightmare I can't see any teams wanting to take a shot on such a project.

Fraser: He's another possibility, we wouldn't get much for him but alot of teams would love to have a bottom pairing defencmen who brings a strong physical game to the backend.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Gardiner for Yakupov, make it happen!!!!!!

(It won't though :()

I woundn't be so sure about that.... Yakupov is clearly in Eakins doghouse and they badly need a guy like Gardiner on their backend. In principle the deal makes sense but I feel we'd have to add a bit more to it to sweeten the pot and I'm not sure Nonis wants to go there.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

Phaneuf: Nonis wouldn't be stupid enough to trade him without having someone who can step in and play his 25-30 mins a night against other teams top lines

Gardiner: This is a possibility! Gardiner and Rielly play the same type of game, it doesn't make sense to spend 2x the cap money on similar players. Gardiner is also still only 23 and has a lot of upside, I can see a lot of teams licking their chops to land him.

Franson: Hes another strong possibility too- The guy hasn't been playing well this season and maybe Nonis things he needs a change of scenery to benefit him. Not just that he's a UFA come July 5th, and based on his last 2 negotation rounds he'll prove to be a difficult signing and he's going to likely want a $5ishM/year deal, can we afford that? I don't know... might make sense to unload him

Ranger: I'd love to trade him, but man he's such a nightmare I can't see any teams wanting to take a shot on such a project.

Fraser: He's another possibility, we wouldn't get much for him but alot of teams would love to have a bottom pairing defencmen who brings a strong physical game to the backend.

Ranger has a NTC.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
He's a 26 year old top-4 d-man on a good contract with reasonable term. I'd expect to get a late first round pick for him.

Yea that would be a fair deal, however that 1st doesn't help us "win now", and we don't have a guy who can play Gunnar's minutes.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Gunnar for a cheaper option is the only thing I can think of. Either that or Liles.

You aren't saving anything by trading Gardiner since he makes so little. Doesn't add up.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Why would you love to trade Ranger? Have you not noticed his improved play over the last 2 games?

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
the only thing that matters here, its Berger. Hes just using this for hits. Doesnt have sources, doesnt have a damn clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad