Rumor: Benning has interest in re-signing Sutter and Hamonic

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I view it as a rejection/criticism of the line of thinking.

"This player embodies X."
"Placing an emphasis on X isn't a good idea and the team should move on from it. Continuing to do so would be a really Bad Idea."
This thread is full of posts advocating letting Sutter walk for explicitly emotional, sentimental reasons, often adding they don’t care whether it’s a good or defensible decision in practical terms.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Is it wrong in thinking it’s a straw man fallacy to represent that the argument is only based on the sentiment of what he represents and not the actual relevant data on top of the sentiment.

Also can those preaching his virtues as positive. Please back it up.

Reactions: Javaman

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It feels so dumb. This is the exact same discussion as 3 years ago when they signed Beagle. They didn’t need a Beagle because they had Sutter.

They have Beagle. They don’t need Sutter.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think you honestly believe believe this constitutes trying to "turn" a 25-year-old grinder into a top 6 forward.

Where did the post that PoM was replying to say anything about 'turning' him into a top-6 forward? The post said that they were trying to pump up a Benning bottom-6 acquisition by LOL-worthy putting him in the top-6. Which is exactly what happened.

'Turning him into a top-6 forward' was a strawman from PoM. How come you're faux-moderating my post and not his?

Reactions: Peter10

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Is it wrong in thinking it’s a straw man fallacy to represent that the argument is only based on the sentiment of what he represents and not the actual relevant data on top of the sentiment.

Also can those preaching his virtues as positive. Please back it up.
Yes, because that’s literally what many people have said.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
This thread is full of posts advocating letting Sutter walk for explicitly emotional, sentimental reasons, often adding they don’t care whether it’s a good or defensible decision in practical terms.

It's also balanced with very real concerns/issues that are sort of being ignored while focusing in on the 'sentimental' with a razor-sharp effectiveness. Weird, that.

Also, the entire first page is basically people going 'plz, no' or expressing concerns regarding a potential new contract and the cost it would have on the team. The one person who expressed how he's 'representative' of everything wrong with the team certainly did not have a histrionic tone and is generally a pretty even-keeled contributor on here. I would imagine that he was using it as a shorthand to express criticism of Benning's decisions regarding personnel moves, contract signings, emphasis on 'pedigree' and so on and so forth.

Is it really that horrible if people don't provide an in-depth explanation every single time they speak about something? Actually, it probably is, given how some of the usual suspects descend into idiotic semantic arguments when the exact phrasing isn't strictly adhered to. (I am not accusing you of doing that, just FYI.)

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

There are literally dozens of serviceable 4th line players floating around that the team could sign. You yourself say that you can't stand watching Sutter play.

Why would we re-sign a fungible depth player that nobody likes over many that the fans could potentially like? Again, the whole point of being a fan is to enjoy cheering for players that you like and you enjoy watching.

Reactions: supercanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Highmore was playing 17-18 minutes/game in the top-6 next to Miller and Boeser to close out the season.
Injuries....Highmore got to play in the top 6 because of his hustle...Vesey was also tried out in the top 6 ...Out of Highmore,Vesey, MacEwan,Hawryluk,Boyd,Graovac, Lind,...one of these ' injury filler' players was going to play in the top 6.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Where did the post that PoM was replying to say anything about 'turning' him into a top-6 forward? The post said that they were trying to pump up a Benning bottom-6 acquisition by LOL-worthy putting him in the top-6. Which is exactly what happened.

'Turning him into a top-6 forward' was a strawman from PoM. How come you're faux-moderating my post and not his?
Because you know better and are capable of constructing a reasonable argument.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It feels so dumb. This is the exact same discussion as 3 years ago when they signed Beagle. They didn’t need a Beagle because they had Sutter.

They have Beagle. They don’t need Sutter.
Definition of two drunks holding each other up.

Veteran mentorship so valuable Travis Green chose to use defensively inept Gaudette in that defensive center role because those two old farts were unable to play.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This thread is full of posts advocating letting Sutter walk for explicitly emotional, sentimental reasons.
Because this is a FAN board and FANS are inherently emotional and sentimental because FANS don't have a choice what team they support.

And if Gilly, an actual Vancouver Canucks fan, hadn't been fired, Sutter would never have been a Canuck.

I've seen numerous reports of Rutherford trying to foist Sutter on to us and Gilly said no f***ing way every single time.

In addition to being an actual GM, Gilly was also the bouncer of trash players.

And then he got fired, and the trash started rolling in like a f***ing tidal wave and now the entire team is one big f***ing swamp.

#DRAINTHESWAMP

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Injuries....Highmore got to play in the top 6 because of his hustle...Vesey was also tried out in the top 6 ...Out of Highmore,Vesey, MacEwan,Hawryluk,Boyd,Graovac, Lind,...one of these ' injury filler' players was going to play in the top 6.

Yeah, and the guy they just acquired for Adam Gaudette was the guy they threw onto Bo Horvat's wing. That's not a coincidence.

Reactions: Hit the post

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

The thing you're missing is that Brandon Sutter players are a dime a dozen. You can go to CapFriendly and find a dozen Brandon Sutter clones that are available for nothing. When you have 15 things that are exactly the same, choosing to eschew one of them for purely sentimental reasons is perfectly defensible.

the people who wanted to walk away from the Sedins in 2008 because they were sick of them, that's less defensible.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It appears as though I’m missing some of the posts bandy Is referring to. Sorry for that.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Because this is a FAN board and FANS are inherently emotional and sentimental because FANS don't have a choice what team they support.

And if Gilly, an actual Vancouver Canucks fan, hadn't been fired, Sutter would never have been a Canuck.

I've seen numerous reports of Rutherford trying to foist Sutter on to us and Gilly said no f***ing way every single time.

In addition to being an actual GM, Gilly was also the bouncer of trash players.

And then he got fired, and the trash started rolling in like a f***ing tidal wave and now the entire team is one big f***ing swamp.

#DRAINTHESWAMP

Err, wasn't Sutter rumored to be part of a trade package with Pittsburgh in that one Kesler deal that fell through?

I don't think that this is entirely accurate.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Err, wasn't Sutter rumored to be part of a trade package with Pittsburgh in that one Kesler deal that fell through?

I don't think that this is entirely accurate.
Didn't happen.

Kass happened though and that experiment was actually going well until they hired WD.... :smh

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Lewis, Haula, Paquette, Kuraly are guys I rank above Sutter and can see them making 750k-1mil.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Maybe if you actually read the thread, you'd know that the complaint about asset management was because there was multiple times the past few seasons where Sutter had trade interest and the team didn't move him. Nothing to do with anyone wanting to re-sign him.

So he's so worthless that we don't want him for anything BUT somehow Benning should have got useful assets for him when he conceivably had the chance. Gotcha.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Because you know better and are capable of constructing a reasonable argument.

I wasn't 'constructing an argument'. I was presenting facts.

A poster LOLed at opportunity Highmore was given in the top-6. PoM ridiculed that and spun a strawman. I pointed out that the notion that Highmore was given ridiculous minutes in the top-6 was completely accurate.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, and the guy they just acquired for Adam Gaudette was the guy they threw onto Bo Horvat's wing. That's not a coincidence.
He obviously wasn't signed to be a top 6 player..7 goals in 91 games...If they had put Hawryluk on Horvat's wing, somebody here would be making the same dumb argument about him.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He obviously wasn't signed to be a top 6 player..7 goals in 91 games...If they had put Hawryluk on Horvat's wing, somebody here would be making the same dumb argument about him.

Yes there are many imaginary situations you can envision someone about being mad about. However, we are talking about what happened, in reality, on planet earth.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So he's so worthless that we don't want him for anything BUT somehow Benning should have got useful assets for him when he conceivably had the chance. Gotcha.
Yes. Isn't it fun being exactly the same way our FO is?

Irrational and illogical.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yes. Isn't it fun being exactly the same way our FO is?

Irrational and illogical.
Kind of like:

St-anger_album.jpg

Reactions: mathonwy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo is totally hung up on the notion of having 'character in the room'. But if the 'character players' can't play, then it becomes just a waste of cap space.

As the old saying goes.....you don't play games in the dressing-room, you play them on an 85 x 200 sheet of ice.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

The assets thing is kind of overwrought and silly, but you can hardly go wrong underestimating the Old Boys Club placing a premium on pedigree (name/draft position.)

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad