Rumor: Benning has interest in re-signing Sutter and Hamonic

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If Sutter takes a two-way contract with generous AHL-side salary I'd be okay with it. I'd even be okay with term in that scenario.

Something like 3 x $1.25m NHL/$750k AHL

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I'm really struggling to understand what the problem is here. Yes, Sutter meets the very bare minimum threshold of what could constitute an NHL forward. Why should fans be accepting of such?

Imagine this thinking a decade ago?
"Hey, Ryan Johnson is a okay 4th liner, not really good but he's ok, we should bring him back along with Wellwood. Screw Malhotra."

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lol F*** this shit. Brandon freakin Sutter?? LOL

The guy does absolutely nothing but show up to collect a paycheque; offensive blackhole that bleeds goals against, no grit, no speed, no strength, no quickness, no vision, no intensity, no drive, no passion; just a broken down useless plug that plays like he’s half dead, just nothing there.

Reactions: arttk

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
There are some goalies who do better when they're being consistently used, so that may have been factor. The Canucks being garbage definitely played a factor.

Could also be argued that he was fading as the season went on (which is totally paradoxical given that he saw less action as the season progressed, I acknowledge.)

But yeah, fair enough. That's definitely one way of interpreting his situation.

I think it is a given that a goalie who plays regularly and is able to "get in a groove" is going to play much better than one who sits for two weeks and then gets thrown into, for example, a tough road game. Holtby played his best hockey last year at the beginning of the season (where he and Demko basically split the starts) and during the short stretch of games immediately after the Canucks COVID incident when he played a few games in a row. Like I said he got the lion's share of the no hoper games by a considerable margin which leads me to assume that the club was sheltering Demko from getting blown out too often which would possibly have affected his development. The Canucks are famous for this going back to the days of guys like Curtis Sanford and Petr Skudra and I remember the legions of Canuck fans who thought those guys sucked too (Skudra was literally run out of the NHL forever because of one 2-1 loss in Philly; naturally he went back to Russia where he was goalie of the year). If it means that Demko turns into an elite level goalie then fine but it didn't work with Felix Potvin, Dan Cloutier and didn't even make a lot of difference with Luongo.

kyru

Oct 19, 2017
If Sutter takes a two-way contract with generous AHL-side salary I'd be okay with it. I'd even be okay with term in that scenario.

Something like 3 x $1.25m NHL/$750k AHL
Don't see how it being a two-way contract would really benefit anything, other than saving the owners money if he's sent down. It has no impact on cap hit or waiver eligibility.

My issue with re-signing him is that they seem to feel compelled to give him a lot of minutes when he's actually playing, even though he largely does nothing, and it probably doesn't help his durability. If he was doing nothing and playing in a limited role like 10 minutes/game, sure. But 15-20 minutes? I don't understand how he should be getting 2nd line to borderline 1st line ice time.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Correct. And I acknowledge those feelings are personal and emotional and that Sutter’s presence in a limited role probably helps the team.

Fair enough. I guess that's where we will have to agree to disagree. Sutter can be replaced with countless other 4th liners with no difference and also not cause the "negative feelings". I don't quite understand why one would be against it.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Sutter is fine
He can be a contributor on another team looking for veteran help

he is the opposite of progress for our team

be done be done be done
I’d much rather gamble on an unknown quantity then going back to the well and getting more of the same

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If Beagle has gone to ARZ as is being reported, then the case to sign Sutter is strengthened. His PK, FOs, and right shot would be more important then ever. Of course, we could also just sign a younger, cheaper, and healthier option in UFA.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
If Beagle has gone to ARZ as is being reported, then the case to sign Sutter is strengthened. His PK, FOs, and right shot would be more important then ever. Of course, we could also just sign a younger, cheaper, and healthier option in UFA.
What does Benning know about younger,cheaper and healthier players?

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This bum is an anti-tank commander potting in garbage time goals at the end of a season like it's nobody else's business. Please get him as far away from this team as possible. It's been a toxic 7 years and he just represents one of the most prominent remnants of Benning's utter mismanagement of the team after unloading three of his other massive mistakes.

Cut him loose and just work with the one albatross we have now.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
This must mean Sutter is returning as the team's 4C?

Given Benning's stated interest and that we've gotten rid of some of our other veteran anchors, I would be inclined to agree.

Concern is still going to be on contract (like so many other players currently floating around in Canuckland.)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Seems likely.

As a fourth line C making $1m or less, I wouldn’t hate it.

But I just have a hard time picturing Benning being able to get Sutter that far down on his salary.

Maybe he gets Motte money? He just got rid of Roussel and Beagle so here is hoping he doesn’t overpay for bottom 6 players.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad