Confirmed with Link: Ben Smith and a Conditional 7th ('17) to San Jose for Andrew Desjardins (50%)

Kawzee

Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Smith is a better player than Desi. Very happy with the trade though. Desi turned his game on a dime when the playoffs started.

I like Ben Smith. Gave 110%. Sure he has his name on a cup, but I don't think he was entirely content with that, with what I read, only playing in 1 game, and not really contributing to the cup. Would we have traded him if his point production was higher or more consistent?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Sign DJ for 2 years at 1M/Y, that will solidify the 4th line for a couple years till the next cap "purge"

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Now this is a guy I'm hoping we can bring back. I know vermette is gone, but I really like Desi. Just a 4th line grinder that you want on the team and has been awesome this postseason. Really hope we can find a way to keep him around.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I like Ben Smith. Gave 110%. Sure he has his name on a cup, but I don't think he was entirely content with that, with what I read, only playing in 1 game, and not really contributing to the cup. Would we have traded him if his point production was higher or more consistent?

They might have kept him for this year, but if they wanted to add to the blueline or add to the size of the roster (without a Kane injury), he was likely to get dealt because of what he was taking in against the cap. I don't think he would have made it through the summer regardless.

If Desjardins gets a 2 or 3 year deal at 850K or lower, I wouldn't complain and he would be easy enough to bury. I might have a different opinion depending on how much, and in what direction, the roster gets shuffled around this summer. I am surprised about how well this trade has worked out for the Hawks. I thought it was more about adding a physical element and improving cap flexibility, I wasn't expecting him to make the team better on his own. I underrated what his impact was going to be.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I liked Ben Smith but no great loss of a 4th liner. Desjardins has looked amazing for his role. You can tell he really wants it.

Andrew Desjardins, for example, is a part of the team because the Blackhawks signed Martin Lapointe as a free agent in 2005. Lapointe was later traded to Ottawa for a sixth-round draft pick that the Blackhawks used to select Ben Smith. Smith was traded to San Jose this season for Desjardins.

CBSsports

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I think Desjardins is a perfect 4th liner. Bring him back if you can, Stan!

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Most under rated trade at the deadline. Easy to say that now, I know, but who would have guessed he would have had this much of an impact on the team? Not me. I hope we keep him around for a 2 year deal. I don't think any of us will be overly impressed with his regular season play , but remember these playoffs and the element he brings.

I think Stan will keep the guy and I think he will "overpay" , but it'll be worth it .

Guessing 1.2 -1.5 per.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Most under rated trade at the deadline. Easy to say that now, I know, but who would have guessed he would have had this much of an impact on the team? Not me. I hope we keep him around for a 2 year deal. I don't think any of us will be overly impressed with his regular season play , but remember these playoffs and the element he brings.

I think Stan will keep the guy and I think he will "overpay" , but it'll be worth it .

Guessing 1.2 -1.5 per.

I hope he doesn't pay that much but I think that is a very good guess on a 2 or 3 year deal.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
I don't see any reason to sign him to more that one year.[/QUO

How about this one: if you don't chose to give him more than one year there is likely another team that will based on his current performance. The guy has earned some security and he's at an age were a deal for a couple of years at the right price wouldn't be risky.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I don't see any reason to sign him to more that one year.

Why not? You can always use a solid guy like that on the roster for cheap, he plays very well defensively, cycles the puck very well in the O zone, is relentless on the forecheck, those guys dont come by that easily and for cheap especially the D game. He has been part of the main shut down line for the Hawks playing against excellent top lines.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Likeable guy but struggled so much offensively, could not handle the puck, overplayed it, etc. kind of reminded me of the way Bicks is now.

Also Ben's size, he was not like Shaw, Desi much stronger on the boards.

Stan did very, very well on this one.

Don't agree with that at all Smith's board work is probably his best asset. He was excellent with the puck down low on the cycle.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
There is no cap in the playoffs, so that makes zero sense. With Kane back, we are over the cap anyway.

My bad, it just let them keep TT on the roster for the rest of the season.

But I do remember Bowman saying somewhere (a podcast?) that they saw it as being primarily a trade of Smith for TT.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I liked Ben Smith but no great loss of a 4th liner. Desjardins has looked amazing for his role. You can tell he really wants it.

CBSsports

I agree...a deal ~1M for 2-3 years would be good. I liked Smith but I also like Dejardins.
<threadjack>
I also like to look back and see what past moves brought us a current player. Like this case and the fact that essentially, Hjammer is here because we were finally able to unload Dr. Karpotsev. </threadjack>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad