Confirmed with Link: Ben Smith and a Conditional 7th ('17) to San Jose for Andrew Desjardins (50%)

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Good for Smith. He's such a likable guy on and off the ice. I hate the Sharks with passion but I wish him nothing but the best.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
good guy, but nothing more than a 4th liner for us. He hasn't taken the next step. Sucks to lose him but replaceable.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's hard to take the next step if you aren't given the opportunity to do so. Ben certainly didn't do himself any favors with his play this year. But going to another team where he can play a bigger role is what's best for him and his career.

Kawzee

Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
It's hard to take the next step if you aren't given the opportunity to do so. Ben certainly didn't do himself any favors with his play this year. But going to another team where he can play a bigger role is what's best for him and his career.

Pretty much this. Will follow his career in San Jose closely. Wish him nothing but the best :handclap:

jls24

Apr 30, 2013

This. God bless the kid for being able to play in any situation, but he has the talent and should be in the top nine and there just isn't a spot for him here.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

I agree to an extend and wish him all the best. Hope he does well as Long as it's not against the Hawks.

In the end, he got chances to prove himself and to earn a bigger role. He just never lived up and did it. His play just wasn't good enough in the end.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Smith shows up 20 minutes before the game and makes an impact

Good for him .. best of luck Ben

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Good for Ben. Always remember that awesome playoff series he had a couple years back where he was one of the hardest working players on the ice.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Bottom.line...with.Shaw.moved down to 4RW,line#4 had a lot more speed...helped.Kruger play better..Nordstrom fine as 4LW....I guess if this clicks like this it.means Desjardins will have to push either Richards off 3C or TT off 3RW to play regularly...

Naturally...Smith puts out a big night for SJ in his debut and our 2 guys did not play great....2 of our 3 worst on possession stats. ..Timonen a -1 and no points....VERMETTE an even and no points and only 29% on face-offs... But to be a bit more fair to them both....Timonen should have been just Even as he was on (though not at fault) for the Canes first goal...it was #4 not #44 on for the Canes 2nd goal though in both cases neither of them were at fault. ..lousy Seabrook was the main culprit. But the official score got it wrong as he also did on the Canes first goal where the event summary does not show Toews on the ice but my eyeball remembers Toews was on for that. ..so somebody else got a - several guys 1 undeserved and Toews should have been docked a -1 off his +/- stat.. Though of course that Canes first goal was not a fault of Toews. ..but both Canes goals were caused by Seabrook being lousy. . Anyway. ..bad night for the official score who messed up the +/- of several guys by not getting ot right on who was on the ice.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Desjardins will give you faceoffs and grit on the fourth line but he's not pushing anyone off the third line the way I see it.

Kawzee

Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
A bit of a noob question here, but I read somewhere that he has his name on the Stanley Cup for the 12/13 game despite only playing 1 regular season game and 1 play off game. How does that work? I've also seen him holding the Stanley Cup on ice after the photos in full gear as well despite not playing the game?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
A bit of a noob question here, but I read somewhere that he has his name on the Stanley Cup for the 12/13 game despite only playing 1 regular season game and 1 play off game. How does that work? I've also seen him holding the Stanley Cup on ice after the photos in full gear as well despite not playing the game?

He played game 3 of the Final against the Bruins in a game Hossa sat out. If you play any of the Final Cup series games you qualify to get your name added to the cup.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've said it with Leddy, I've said it with Pirri, I've said it with Ladd, etc, etc, I hope Smith has an amazing career with his new team and is consistently excellent in every game except the ones against us. :D

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Glad to see so many Hawks fans wishing Smith well. He got a lot of love in the building last night and brought a needed spark to the game. I hope Desi works out well for you guys too. Both teams can be winners in a trade :)

STC

Oct 29, 2012

Go ask Eddie Olcyck. He knows all about what it takes to do the absolute minimum you can possibly do and still somehow get your name on a Cup.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sounds like Desjardins will not be playing on Friday, as Q liked the previous lines per Lazerus. Hopefully that's all it's a sign of, not that we traded Smith for a guy that Q and Bowman have different opinions on...

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Sounds like Desjardins will not be playing on Friday, as Q liked the previous lines per Lazerus. Hopefully that's all it's a sign of, not that we traded Smith for a guy that Q and Bowman have different opinions on...

Don't need grit against the Oilers. Kinda hard to sit Nordstrom after the Carolina game.

I've questioned Q as much as the next guy, but I don't think he's gonna hesitate to use Desjardins when he should.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
So far, this trade didn't help ... I would have preferred Smith....hopefully Desjardins hits and hits a lot in the playoffs.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Smith was doing nothing ,, PK has been fine and Nordstrom has been fine + With Shaw dropping to 4th line

The Hawks dumped 1.5M off the cap and didn't downgrade roster

Smith this year was worthless outside PK

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I agree with all that BWC said, and will add that we needed the extra cap space this season. If Smith wasn't traded, TT would've needed to be sent down.

It sucks to see him go (he's a great guy), but the trade was necessary.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So far, this trade didn't help ... I would have preferred Smith....hopefully Desjardins hits and hits a lot in the playoffs.

This trade was made for cap purposes. It allows Teuvo to stay up, which has helped. The hawks haven't lost anything on the 4th line with Shaw and Nordstrom there. Smart trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad