Confirmed with Link: Ben Smith and a Conditional 7th ('17) to San Jose for Andrew Desjardins (50%)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How hasn't this trade helped? Without this trade TT is in the minors, and our 4th line is just as ineffective as it was before the trade. The 4th line has been far more effective with Smith gone and Shaw bumped down.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm really starting to like what Desi brings to the lineup. He has been phenomenal on that 4th line.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I am starting to really like this guy, I hope he is signed, if a kid over takes his place then be it but till then we can use a 12th/13th forward. He is great in his own end and that makes that line great defensively when you add the D specialty of Kruger to it. Not to mention both of them cycle the puck very well and go to the dirty areas. Because that ine did not play so much in the first 3 periods they had a lot of energy int he 4th/5th and that helped the team.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Desi is certainly making a car to stay if he's willing to sign for 700kish. Kids will play but an established guy with size and snarl would be nice in the bottom six.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I liked this trade when we made it -- I still like it now.

Same here, he brings energy and hustle, Troy spoke highly of him after game 2, hopefully Stan can work something out this summer and sign him to (less than a Mil).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I liked it when it was announced, though I was sad to see Smith go.

I disliked it when it looked like Desjardins might be little more than a plugin.

I like it again now that I've seen what he can bring to the table for us on a regular basis in the playoffs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Need some vets. can't go with rookies all the time. Not to mention that there will be call ups

Next season is a really good time to have a lot of kids come up and learn how to play. I'd rather have that than have them just waste away.

And the bottom 3 D..Maybe, I'm worried they'll go out and get five or so sub 1mil has beens to fill the void.

Same here. The two years after our cap purge we've seen;

Cullimore, Turco, Johnson, Hendry, John Freaking Scott, Boynton, Campoli, Hendry, BMo, Brunette, SOD, Montador (RIP), and Lepisto.

I'd rather see what the kids in Rockford can do than have more than one or two pieces of our roster filled out by older vets that Q will most likely over play. It's fun watching a young team grow and learn to play.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
As I said just after the trade, I would do it again.

Now, I would probably throw a pick in there as well, that's how much I like him.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
I'm pretty sure this deal was made with Saad's next contract in mind (every mil helps) but I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams expected Dejardins to mesh so well with his linemates. That's luck.

But luck is nothing to apologize for.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Smith gave everything to the Hawks don't haze him. His only fault is being good enough to deserve more money than the Hawks could afford. Will always love that guy.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Smith gave everything to the Hawks don't haze him. His only fault is being good enough to deserve more money than the Hawks could afford. Will always love that guy.

Likeable guy but struggled so much offensively, could not handle the puck, overplayed it, etc. kind of reminded me of the way Bicks is now.

Also Ben's size, he was not like Shaw, Desi much stronger on the boards.

Stan did very, very well on this one.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty sure this deal was made with Saad's next contract in mind (every mil helps) but I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams expected Dejardins to mesh so well with his linemates. That's luck.

But luck is nothing to apologize for.

Bowman said right after the trade that they did it mostly to be able to keep TT for the playoffs. Desi is cheaper than Smith was, and the difference gave just enough cap space to keep TT on the roster when Kane came back.

Saad's next contract might have factored into it, but even if it didn't, the point is still the same. Smith was traded to free up a couple hundred K to keep a better player on the roster.

Definitely a good trade.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Bowman said right after the trade that they did it mostly to be able to keep TT for the playoffs. Desi is cheaper than Smith was, and the difference gave just enough cap space to keep TT on the roster when Kane came back.

There is no cap in the playoffs, so that makes zero sense. With Kane back, we are over the cap anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad