Value of: Ben Hutton + Jake Virtanen

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Hutton is a legitimate top 4 defenseman now, most of the league just doesn't know it yet. Could he regress? Sure, it's possible but I think he's got his issues ironed out.

Neither of these guys should (or will) get traded.

Reactions: Canucks1096

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
List of players I would have available:
Sutter
Gudbranson
Eriksson (lols)
Gagner (Another Benning special)
Schaller
Goldobin
Granlund
Pouliot
Maybe Markstrom
Edler if he waives his ntc

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Hutton and Virt have made huge strides this year. At this point I think at worst they are a solid bottom 6 and top 9 power forward, with potential for more. There is a chance for regression for sure, but I'd be willing to risk that by holding on to them. I'd want a 2nd and c+/B prospect for Hutton depending where the pick is, and a 1st + prospect for Virtanen. Otherwise, I'd hang onto them and bet on their potential.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I wonder if a swap of Virtanen for Heinen would interest either side?

Heinen put up 47 points as a rookie on a good third line last year. This year he hasn’t really had anyone to play with (no 3c or even a capable 3rw)... I don’t know if that’s the only reason his numbers are down but it can’t help. He’s also a BC kid.

Virtanen has more upside, I think, but obviously there’s some risk there that he won’t ever become a quality top6 guy. Still, the Bruins need some RH’d wingers (almost all their wing prospects shoot left), and they need some size/hitting.

I've actually suggested this exact trade to members of the Canucks media who liked the idea.

My rationale was that I believed Heinen's game and style would put up 60 points with Horvat while Virtanen paired well with DeBrusk on the wings.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't know a ton about Heinen but with Jake there's a lot more than just offense. He's wicked fast, hits and has established himself a a solid two way player. Why Green is intending on scratching him tomorrow is beyond my comprehension.

His play has slipped and no one has done a shotgun in over a month. I kick in the butt before the break and gives Goldobin a chance to get back into the lineup and prove his worth.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't know a ton about Heinen but with Jake there's a lot more than just offense. He's wicked fast, hits and has established himself a a solid two way player. Why Green is intending on scratching him tomorrow is beyond my comprehension.

Heinen's 200 foot game is miles better than Virtanen's but Jake has really made steps in the right direction this year.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No interest in trading either op.

Fair enough.

The only reasons why I mentioned them were....

1) Their values are relatively high now that they’ve had bounce back seasons and have risen their stocks a little.

2) The Canucks are relatively strong down the middle, in net, right wing, and left D. The Canucks are weakest on left wing and especially RW.

3) You have to give in order to receive. Canucks can’t just trade a guy like Granlund and expect the world. That’s where Hutton and Virtanen come in in terms of making a legit “hockey deal.”

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
OP you're clearly fishing for some high and offer for a bunch of lesser parts.

Those trades don't happen.

Someone might trade you back similar young players who might also benefit from a change of scenery.

Fair enough.

And yes - you are correct. I was looking to trade some green houses for a proverbial red hotel. Your likely right that I’m asking for is unrealistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad