Value of: Ben Hutton + Jake Virtanen

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How is Andersson just out of curiosity?

His game is constantly evolving this season under Peters much to the delight of Flames fans. He's already looking like he's around a 4/5 quality dman which has aided greatly with Stone out of the line up.

We're seeing him play much more engaged than last season (more shots, physicality, chirping etc.). There are definitely facets of his game that are starting to look like his idol Doughty. Obviously he won't be Doughty and I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I think many Flames fans are hoping for a 2/3 quality dman in the same vein as what we have in Brodie.

Last season he was very passive and constantly passed the puck to someone else. He also got in trouble for his conditioning two seasons in a row.

Honestly though, when he was drafted, many of our fans didn't know who he was and many freaked out as they wanted Kylington instead. Lucky for us, Treliving got both guys and both have been looking good this season (without Gulutzan at the helm).

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
His game is constantly evolving this season under Peters much to the delight of Flames fans. He's already looking like he's around a 4/5 quality dman which has aided greatly with Stone out of the line up.

We're seeing him play much more engaged than last season (more shots, physicality, chirping etc.). There are definitely facets of his game that are starting to look like his idol Doughty. Obviously he won't be Doughty and I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I think many Flames fans are hoping for a 2/3 quality dman in the same vein as what we have in Brodie.

Last season he was very passive and constantly passed the puck to someone else. He also got in trouble for his conditioning two seasons in a row.

Honestly though, when he was drafted, many of our fans didn't know who he was and many freaked out as they wanted Kylington instead. Lucky for us, Treliving got both guys and both have been looking good this season (without Gulutzan at the helm).

Fair. Baertschi's issue is he can't stay healthy. He probably would have three straight 20 goal seasons if he could just stay on the ice. If he can play in a full season he can probably be a nice support winger to either Bo or Petey who can put up 20 goals and 40-45 points. He's been almost exactly a 0.5 PPG player for us.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fair. Baertschi's issue is he can't stay healthy. He probably would have three straight 20 goal seasons if he could just stay on the ice. If he can play in a full season he can probably be a nice support winger to either Bo or Petey who can put up 20 goals and 40-45 points. He's been almost exactly a 0.5 PPG player for us.

I recall Baertschi had a concussion when he was still a Flame. As a result he seemed to play a little bit scared. Is he still dealing with concussion issues? Or are his injuries a bunch of random everything else?

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
I recall Baertschi had a concussion when he was still a Flame. As a result he seemed to play a little bit scared. Is he still dealing with concussion issues? Or are his injuries a bunch of random everything else?

Some random stuff but missed 30 games with a concussion after a cheap hit to the head by Tomas Hyka

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I wonder if a swap of Virtanen for Heinen would interest either side?

Heinen put up 47 points as a rookie on a good third line last year. This year he hasn’t really had anyone to play with (no 3c or even a capable 3rw)... I don’t know if that’s the only reason his numbers are down but it can’t help. He’s also a BC kid.

Virtanen has more upside, I think, but obviously there’s some risk there that he won’t ever become a quality top6 guy. Still, the Bruins need some RH’d wingers (almost all their wing prospects shoot left), and they need some size/hitting.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
I wonder if a swap of Virtanen for Heinen would interest either side?

Heinen put up 47 points as a rookie on a good third line last year. This year he hasn’t really had anyone to play with (no 3c or even a capable 3rw)... I don’t know if that’s the only reason his numbers are down but it can’t help. He’s also a BC kid.

Virtanen has more upside, I think, but obviously there’s some risk there that he won’t ever become a quality top6 guy. Still, the Bruins need some RH’d wingers (almost all their wing prospects shoot left), and they need some size/hitting.

I don't know a ton about Heinen but with Jake there's a lot more than just offense. He's wicked fast, hits and has established himself a a solid two way player. Why Green is intending on scratching him tomorrow is beyond my comprehension.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I would not want to trade either...…..
Hutton has matured and has shown this year he is committed...….absolutely an average 3/4 defenseman
Virtanen has yet to mature fully, and when he realizes he is lethal, he will be a great PF

If I proposed either for a 2nd rounder, most Canuck fans would say not way!

What would you pay in picks for a 3/4 LHD?
What would you pay for a young RW power forward?

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Oh god. Value wise absolutely, but if the Nucks manage to sneak in to the playoffs and play Calagry Virtanen will go Ferland on us without a doubt.
Would love seeing Vitranen, Bennett, and Tkachuk running around causing ****.

All things considered the Nucks should hold on to him. Powerforwards are known To have different development paths and he is not in his prime yet.

Going to be a beaut at about 25

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ben Hutton + Jake Virtanen

OR

Ben Hutton + Jake Virtanen + 2nd if we’re feeling a little adventurous.

What would you offer?
OP you're clearly fishing for some high and offer for a bunch of lesser parts.

Those trades don't happen.

Someone might trade you back similar young players who might also benefit from a change of scenery.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
How is Andersson just out of curiosity?
Absolutely not for Virtanen.

Anderson is developing well and is cost controlled with bonafide top 4 potential. The Flames have zero interest in Virtanen or brining Baertschi or Granlund back. There's no room on the Flames roster for them and they have their own prospects they need to develop.

That other Flames fan doesn't have a clue if they can't see why players like Granlund and Baertschi had no place on the Flames roster.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Absolutely not for Virtanen.

Anderson is developing well and is cost controlled with bonafide top 4 potential. The Flames have zero interest in Virtanen or brining Baertschi or Granlund back. There's no room on the Flames roster for them and they have their own prospects they need to develop.

That other Flames fan doesn't have a clue if they can't see why players like Granlund and Baertschi had no place on the Flames roster.

Wasn’t at all what I was asking. He was the pick we traded to get Baertschi so I was curious how he had progressed

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wasn’t at all what I was asking. He was the pick we traded to get Baertschi so I was curious how he had progressed
Anderson looks great and is arguably their best prospect. Solid trade for the Flames. 10/10. Would do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad