Ben Bishop is a transcendent talent

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
10 years from now we will labeling BB as a pioneer for all monster sized goalies.

Wait until NBA players choose to play hockey...

"I'd be thrilled to play a more dangerous sport for way less money"

081412-9-NBA-Metta-World-Peace-OB-PI_20120815022216899_660_320.JPG

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Bish is good--probably top 10 in the league--though I think it would be premature to rank him with goalies such as Quick, Lundqvist and Price.

For my money, I would always take Quick in the playoffs until it is proven that he is on the other side of his prime.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Bish is good--probably top 10 in the league--though I think it would be premature to rank him with goalies such as Quick, Lundqvist and Price.

For my money, I would always take Quick in the playoffs until it is proven that he is on the other side of his prime.

He had the 22nd best save percentage this season.

I'm not a fan. He's playing on the highest scoring team in the league so he only needs to play OK for them to win. But he's been very exposed in the playoffs and it's clear that he's predictably fairly slow and Nash totally demonstrated his subpar lateral movement while scoring on him tonight.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
The dude has no answer when you crash the net for such a big guy he is rather weak. At making those saves. The dude stops a lot of perimeter shots based on size alone. Once you get to the side of the net the guy is semi helpless. That five hole... Damn Rangers why don't you power into the net more often? They don't have guys that can make you pay for it.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
He's also layed a whole bunch of eggs this playoffs. He's had 3 or 4 games where he let in 5 goals when he didn't face that many shots.

He's one of those jekyle and hyde goalies, looks great for a few games then stinks up the joint.

Good goalie but certainly not a top 10. Tampas defense is one of the better groups this year.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
He definitely has a huge advantage in his size. Best case for him is he can turn out like Chara, where at the beginning of his career he is awkward, but by the end he is legendary.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, Bishop looks like awful goaltender, but he is so big he doesnt have to be that fast or quick. It's pretty awful to watch imo. I prefer Varlamov style goaltender, very exciting saves.(Giguere was the same as Bishop though, but whatever works, just great positional style or flashy..)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah, Bishop looks like awful goaltender, but he is so big he doesnt have to be that fast or quick. It's pretty awful to watch imo. I prefer Varlamov style goaltender, very exciting saves.(Giguere was the same as Bishop though, but whatever works, just great positional style or flashy..)

Many of the shots he doesn't even see, he just makes the save because he's so big and the puck has to hit him.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Many of the shots he doesn't even see, he just makes the save because he's so big and the puck has to hit him.

But that's also a credit to good positioning. His lateral movement leaves something to be desired but that's the trade off with an especially big goaltender, more to do with his sizes than his ability.

Only error I've really seen from him these playoffs has been a couple of bad ones with the glove hand. Good goalie who will not lose a series for his team, not sure he has the ability to steal a series for his team either though.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
10 years from now we will labeling BB as a pioneer for all monster sized goalies.

Wait until NBA players choose to play hockey...

I found sarcasm old and tired back in 1996. Too bad everyone else wants to keep beating that dead horse, hoping they can tenderize it into kobe beef.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad