Ben Bishop is a transcendent talent

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
His size won't matter if the Rangers keep getting powerplays handed to them

Sick backhanded comment, though.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Because Bishop chose hockey instead of basketball. With his athleticism he could easily be a power forward or Tight End

Ehh hockey and basketball/football are very different sports. Just because he's a good goalie and athletic doesn't mean he could "easily" do either of those things. Not to mention the average height in the NBA is like 6'8" or something. Maybe I'm off on that but he isn't that huge by NBA standards.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Bishop is a bigger version of reimer, horrid rebound control who is also insanely lucky.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I think we should at least wait until Bishop has won a Cup or two and/or firmly established himself as a top 5 goalie before we start calling him a transcendent talent and the prototype for goalies moving forward.

At 6'7 ... he would have been a small forward, and he'd have to be as skilled as Larry Bird to be an impact guy, while playing hockey he just has to be very large.

All there is to playing hockey is being very large?:huh: A got to think being tall is still a far more important prerequisite in basketball than it is in hockey.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Has there been a better puck handler than Bishop since Brodeur? Bit overconfident I'd say, but his skills and instincts are quite impressive.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Has there been a better puck handler than Bishop since Brodeur? Bit overconfident I'd say, but his skills and instincts are quite impressive.

Mike Smith, arguably.

More I see these new-age puck handlers, though, more I think how impressive Brodeur's skills were there. The guy routinely made tape to tape passes to streaking players in the neutral zone and rarely gaffed.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

OK but not amazing. He can make passes but he is kind of slow and abuses his size and rules against hitting goalies to interfere with checkers when he does it, in order to buy more time.

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL
W73jN8f.jpg
Some people are born big

Others just wear huge pads

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Rinne is a trascendent talent with his size/reflexes/flexibility combo, Bishop is just huge(and slower obviously).

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's an average goalie, but has come up clutch in the playoffs. And he is a monster. Hard not to like him. Would like to see him in a fight.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I don't understand the basis of this thread lol like are people not allowed to be big

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Bishop still getting insulted in this thread (where the OP was very clearly being sarcastic btw) but the point should be well absorbed. Yes, he's big but he's very agile and well coordinated for such a big guy. Awful rebound control? No. It's not his strongest point but it's certainly not awful.

Moreover, it's not never-ending luck when guys keep hitting the posts or just barely miss a small hole to shoot wide. The shooters have to cut it fine because he's not leaving much space open, generally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->