Confirmed with Link: Ben Bishop (20% retained) and 5th to LAK for D Cernak, G Budaj, 7th, conditional pick

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's probably true. Hot take alert: there isnt a goalie in the league that can mask Dallas' defensive/PK issues though. Lehtonen is well above league average 5v5.

haha, Bishop could probably do it. He masked our deficiencies for years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But people won't just support him. Everyone will take the "you must prove me wrong and I will be overly critical of everything you do" approach.

Which is so ****in weird since you are supposed to root for the team to win no matter what.

You're acting like it's impossible to objectively criticize Vasy. He deserves the criticism he gets. We're all cheering for him to do well, but that doesn't mean we can't point out red flags when they pop up.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
But people won't just support him. Everyone will take the "you must prove me wrong and I will be overly critical of everything you do" approach.

Which is so ****in weird since you are supposed to root for the team to win no matter what.

Are you saying folks can't be critical of a guy who is in the midst of a losing streak and has let some soft goals in?

Support does not equal blind support.

Sounds like you might want to get yourself a script for Xanax. This place is going to blow up on the Vasy trade for as long as it is going badly. Buckle up lil guy.

Edit: I did not see the post above me but totally agree.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Joe Smith‏@TBTimes_JSmith 31m31 minutes ago
More
#tblightning Yzerman says standings didn't play role in Bishop trade. Biggest factor was cap next yr. LA only "option I had," with Bishop.

That's pretty honest.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
It sucks Bishop is no longer on the team but it's a long term move. He wasn't going to come back and I believe in the philosophy of having a strong roster overall instead of sacrificing pieces for a high paid goalie. I think Vasi will eventually be the guy for us, he's still very young for that position. He needs a backup like Budaj next year the team has confidence in to play. The biggest mistake with Vasi this year was Cooper playing him non-stop when Bishop was out even in back to backs and three straight in four nights. That's a disaster for someone who had been just splitting starts at the NHL level. I wish Bishop the best but we need the cap space to improve the roster in other areas going forward.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It sucks Bishop is no longer on the team but it's a long term move. He wasn't going to come back and I believe in the philosophy of having a strong roster overall instead of sacrificing pieces for a high paid goalie. I think Vasi will eventually be the guy for us, he's still very young for that position. He needs a backup like Budaj next year the team has confidence in to play. The biggest mistake with Vasi this year was Cooper playing him non-stop when Bishop was out even in back to backs and three straight in four nights. That's a disaster for someone who had been just splitting starts at the NHL level. I wish Bishop the best but we need the cap space to improve the roster in other areas going forward.

In fairness, though, the kid also carried an average KHL team deep into the playoffs, so what they were asking of him wasn't really unreasonable.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I was one who wasn't against us trading Vasi and re-signing Bish. You would get a better return. However what do you do if Bish becomes injury prone and then Vasi explodes to elite status? People wouldn't be very happy with that decision. This is SY making the same bet he made when he drafted Vasi in the first round and then re-signed him last year to a 3 year extension. If he believes Vasi can be our starter for a long time and be a franchise goalie then I'm willing to see it through. I hate losing Bish because he was one of my favorite players but these things happen in the NHL. I'm ready for the Vasi era to begin.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
The amazing Stevie Y strikes again.

I wish Ben the best of luck. He was amazing during his time here and my favorite current Bolt. Now that goes to Boyle who will be shipped out next I'm guessing.

Unless they plan on starting Budaj, the season has been given up on. Vasy has not been good enough this year. We won't make the playoffs with him starting. Kings really boned Budaj who kept them in the race as one of the better goalies in the league this year.

I like Budaj, dat Slovak pride tho, but his one really good season isn't enough for Bishop's almost great career. He's one of the best in the league.

He also could have been resigned. There was no guarantee he was gone. As crazy as it might have been, there was the possibility of dealing Vasy. You might get better returns, based on age alone, and you keep a franchise goalie. Vasy hasn't proved that this season, and though he's young and might get there, I'm not sure if I like the gamble.

:cry:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Well it sucks..but I understand it, at least he went to West, hope he remains there, will be easier to root for him that way. Better to get something than nothing, to keep a pool of picks is important or you might run dry like the Kings.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Bishop outplays Quick down the stretch.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
The Otters twitter guy said he's an offensive defenseman when Bolts prospects asked about him. That makes no sense since he has 17 points in 41 games, he had 15 in 40 last year so not much of an upgrade yet. I think he meant the other Raddysh who's killing it on the backend and who I wouldn't mind giving a look. The issue I have with Cernak is he's very similar to Spencer in many ways, so I guess they're hedging their bets on one of the two to become an NHLer.

Next year the Crunch will have Blujus, Thomas, Spencer and Cernak on the right. I also don't consider Dotchin a lock for the Lightning next year, he was outplayed by Blujus up until Blujus was hurt, I can see Blujus beating him out in camp. Either way the Crunch defense on the right side will be extremely young, on the left they should bring back Taormina to be the captain, they should make him it now if Witkowski is getting sent back.

In my opinion Cernak is a pretty good prospect & getting better. L.A. had a logjam of defenseman in the AHL so they sent him here, he's developing well. Raddysh is unsigned & Tampa would do themselves good if they look to sign him as soon as possible. It never seems to be a bad thing having 2 brothers in the same system.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Cernak is a fine return. Lots of euros struggle the first season or two coming to NA, plus he had a handful of really talented guys in front of him on that team.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Cernak is a fine return. Lots of euros struggle the first season or two coming to NA, plus he had a handful of really talented guys in front of him on that team.

Got to think we've seen him play a lot too since he's on Raddysh's team. Maybe they liked what they saw with him.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Here is my scoop on Cernak from my times watching Erie this year
I don’t get to go to all games but I do see the team often enough

Is he an offensive defender? I wouldn’t classify him as that. He doesn’t use his offensive ability consistent enough and I think overall he lacks all the instincts associated with that role. Ignore “Erie Otters Updater” on Twitter – it might be a young kid..
Cernak is not classified as an offensive guy. He simply doesn’t do it consistently enough to make myself think of him as a true OD. With that being said – he isn’t a stiff on the o-zone either. He has good skating for a guy of that size. He has solid vision on his long breakout passes. And he has enough puck skills to weave up on breakouts if needed. He still is raw in a lot of these categories but I don’t think its insane to think that 2 years in the AHL developing his skills could see him become a decent 2 way guy.

He has a huge frame. Many joke in Erie that he is truly a child’s mind stuck in a man’s body. No mistake about it that he is all of 6’3 220lbs. Just looks freaky out there. He isn’t stupid with his body either (rarely throws out illegal hits or dirty plays). I would say he is in control of his frame and knows how to use it. That said, I wish he would use it more. Last year he was underwhelming in erie. This season, and especially since the world juniors, he has been way more comfortable with using his puck skills/offense AND using his frame. He isn’t afraid of contact by any stretch. Rather I just think he is still learning that it’s a major asset he has and is truly what can separate him if develops it. Very strong frame and stance. Not easy to knock off puck. When he does use his body, he is dominant every shift against the best players in the league

His poke check is also very effective. Long reach (big guy, to be expected) but he is very much improved and active with his stick. When he does make a mistake he usually is able to recover with solid speed or his big body.
I personally wasn’t a fan of him last year. But he has improved dramatically since that time. And I feel he can still improve a lot. Consistency is the big thing and learning how to use his body more in all situations.
Given the expansion draft is approaching, not sure TB could have held onto Bishop and Vasy anyways?
Cernak is a decent get. He will benefit from a year or 2 in AHL. I think he could be a 4-5 guy if he reaches all of his potential. 5-6 guy seems reasonable.
Given that TB has Taylor Raddysh and Anthony Cirelli, 2 higher up picks/prospects for them, you have to wonder how much scouting they have done on Cernak. Clearly they could have been watching him for awhile now and see the potential. Would imagine they are very familiar with him because he is in Erie. So some optimism there for sure.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sounds like a poor man's Victor Hedman, without the offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad