Confirmed with Link: Ben Bishop (20% retained) and 5th to LAK for D Cernak, G Budaj, 7th, conditional pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I totally reject Tom Jones’ logic in this article http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...op-hard-but-right-thing-for-lightning/2314590 that Bishop HAD to be traded due to cap space and that it was a smart move.

What is left out is what led up to the lack of cap space… signing bad contracts like Carle (very bad), Callahan (bad), Garrison (moderately bad), and Coburn (slightly bad). Even the best GMs have bad contracts like Bowman (Bickell) and Tallon (Bolland) but they corrected their error by making a cap dump trade so they could keep their essential players. The difference between Bishop and Vasi is ~ 3 million. All that gets us is the ability to re-sign one 60 point forward who is less important to the future success of this team than Bishop. I hope Vasi proves me wrong but he didn’t win the #1 job like Murray did in Pittsburg, he was anointed. When you evaluate this trade, you have to consider what return we would have gotten for Vasi. The only choice was, you couldn’t keep both.

Why does everyone bring up the Carle contract as being bad? Our defense was pathetic when we signed him, he was much needed and was good the first couple of years. Him playing heavy minutes slowed him down but allowed Hedman to break out into the top defender he was supposed to be. He was signed 1 year too long, that's it. Callahan was very bad, we had some good pieces in the forward group as well as Panik and Connolly as RW's who were ready for a chance they really didn't get because of Callahan. Garrison wasn't signed by Yzerman, he traded for him, he just fall off a cliff and has a year too long on his deal, Coburn is fine.

Bishop was here what 4 years? Got hurt at the worst time 3 of those, not sure why everyone is so sad to see him leave?

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Why does everyone bring up the Carle contract as being bad? Our defense was pathetic when we signed him, he was much needed and was good the first couple of years. Him playing heavy minutes slowed him down but allowed Hedman to break out into the top defender he was supposed to be. He was signed 1 year too long, that's it. Callahan was very bad, we had some good pieces in the forward group as well as Panik and Connolly as RW's who were ready for a chance they really didn't get because of Callahan. Garrison wasn't signed by Yzerman, he traded for him, he just fall off a cliff and has a year too long on his deal, Coburn is fine.

Bishop was here what 4 years? Got hurt at the worst time 3 of those, not sure why everyone is so sad to see him leave?

I’m not sad to see Bishop go for sentimental reasons. If Vasi would have beat him out for the job like Murray beat out Fleury, and was playing like a goalie that could lead a team to a cup, I would say see you later Ben, thanks. But that is not what happened. You are right about Carle. No signings are obviously bad at the time, they go bad in time. Can’t blame a GM for not seeing the future. But the way to fix it is a cap dump trade – that will cost something. Carle’s 1.8 could have been used to re-sign Palat or Johnson.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I take some comfort in Craig Button being high on Cernak and believing we made a good deal here. Button's not always right, but he spends more time watching prospects than most.

The reports on Cernak are weirdly conflicting.

I have a feeling we're going to own 75% of the Eerie Otters by the TDL. ;)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I’m not sad to see Bishop go for sentimental reasons. If Vasi would have beat him out for the job like Murray beat out Fleury, and was playing like a goalie that could lead a team to a cup, I would say see you later Ben, thanks. But that is not what happened. You are right about Carle. No signings are obviously bad at the time, they go bad in time. Can’t blame a GM for not seeing the future. But the way to fix it is a cap dump trade – that will cost something. Carle’s 1.8 could have been used to re-sign Palat or Johnson.

We're definitely making a gamble here. Or, more accurately, Yzerman is gambling here. We're taking a definite step back in hopes that it'll let us take two steps forward down the line. I think the reality is that we just don't know how this is going to play out yet. It could lead to a huge payoff or a huge disaster. Feels like this decision (Vasy over Bishop) could go down as the biggest one Yzerman ever made for the TBL, either way.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Why does TyJo get a pass for sucking in the regular season because of strong playoff appearances but Vasy doesn't get the same consideration?

Two years in a row Vasy has been amazing in the playoffs.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Amazing at getting eliminated. He's a choker and a head case.

This kind of crap is so toxic for the fan base.

Basically now Vasy is going to replace Stamkos as the teams scapegoat.

You already see it - blaming shot totals and lack of offense on the goalie. I mean, people are losing it on here.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

You already see it - blaming shot totals and lack of offense on the goalie. I mean, people are losing it on here.

Stamkos wasn't a "scapegoat" but ok sure.

And if there's a trend that the team plays worse with a certain goalie in net, that's concerning, not sure why it shouldn't be unless you're sensitive to the subject.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

True, not like we needed a #1 goalie the past 4 years, would've been better to continue our trend of finishing just outside the playoffs and getting picks like Koekkoek and Connolly the latter being a complete bust.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I take some comfort in Craig Button being high on Cernak and believing we made a good deal here. Button's not always right, but he spends more time watching prospects than most.

The reports on Cernak are weirdly conflicting.

I have a feeling we're going to own 75% of the Eerie Otters by the TDL. ;)

The Otters twitter guy said he's an offensive defenseman when Bolts prospects asked about him. That makes no sense since he has 17 points in 41 games, he had 15 in 40 last year so not much of an upgrade yet. I think he meant the other Raddysh who's killing it on the backend and who I wouldn't mind giving a look. The issue I have with Cernak is he's very similar to Spencer in many ways, so I guess they're hedging their bets on one of the two to become an NHLer.

Next year the Crunch will have Blujus, Thomas, Spencer and Cernak on the right. I also don't consider Dotchin a lock for the Lightning next year, he was outplayed by Blujus up until Blujus was hurt, I can see Blujus beating him out in camp. Either way the Crunch defense on the right side will be extremely young, on the left they should bring back Taormina to be the captain, they should make him it now if Witkowski is getting sent back.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Stamkos wasn't a "scapegoat" but ok sure.

And if there's a trend that the team plays worse with a certain goalie in net, that's concerning, not sure why it shouldn't be unless you're sensitive to the subject.

You've completely lost all credibility if you say Stamkos wasn't the scapegoat with posters on this board. You can't possibly say that if you were on here the last 2-3 years.

Not play as well in front of him is one thing, blaming the lackluster offense that couldn't get a damn shot on goal for 50 minutes is just ********.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You've completely lost all credibility if you say Stamkos wasn't the scapegoat with posters on this board. You can't possibly say that if you were on here the last 2-3 years.

Not play as well in front of him is one thing, blaming the lackluster offense that couldn't get a damn shot on goal for 50 minutes is just ********.

He wasn't a scapegoat for losing, he was criticized because of his play vs his upcoming contract, there's a big difference. Considering I was there from start to finsh I'm pretty sure almost nobody beside hose being hose solely blamed Stamkos for us losing.

Again you were probably too sensitive on the subject as well.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

Agreed totally. I am a huge critic of this decision, I was advocating trading Vasi to Calgary last summer. But it is done and we have to pull for the kid.

At least until July 1st when the mistake can be corrected. (Joking)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
True, not like we needed a #1 goalie the past 4 years, would've been better to continue our trend of finishing just outside the playoffs and getting picks like Koekkoek and Connolly the latter being a complete bust.

Bishop got to play in front of the 9th best offense, 1st and 12th the last 3 years. Bishop definitely helped us be a cup contender but the offense was a huge reason too, it's why we aren't as good this year as our gf/g is similar to last year but goals are up league wide and we haven't improved, except on the PP. If Vasilevskiy plays at a .910 % next year we are in the same position, we need .915 at least but we also need some more goals support.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
He wasn't a scapegoat for losing, he was criticized because of his play vs his upcoming contract, there's a big difference. Considering I was there from start to finsh I'm pretty sure almost nobody beside hose being hose solely blamed Stamkos for us losing.

Again you were probably too sensitive on the subject as well.

What exactly does that mean by too sensitive on the subject?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
From a management point of view I totally understand Yzerman's move. Vasy is our guy now, gotta support him.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
From a management point of view I totally understand Yzerman's move. Vasy is our guy now, gotta support him.

But people won't just support him. Everyone will take the "you must prove me wrong and I will be overly critical of everything you do" approach.

Which is so ****in weird since you are supposed to root for the team to win no matter what.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
But people won't just support him. Everyone will take the "you must prove me wrong and I will be overly critical of everything you do" approach.

Which is so ****in weird since you are supposed to root for the team to win no matter what.

Agree, and while Bishop was playing better now than Vasi, it was the right move to do. Most on this board can't wait for Vasi to make a mistake to crucify him, yet will continue to ignore the play of the rest of the team which this year has been poor. Yzerman needs to figure out how to get this team scoring again, with Stamkos coming back helping, and also including how much coaching needs to improve to help this team get back to how it played the last few years. Even with Bishop still here, it would have been a real long shot for them to get in with their effort shown most nights. The teams play this year is a bigger reason why we won't make the playoffs instead of how our goalies have played.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
You gotta wonder if Yzerman turned down a much sweeter offer for Bishop before the season from Dallas. That being said, no one would've thought those two teams would be where they're at now.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You gotta wonder if Yzerman turned down a much sweeter offer for Bishop before the season from Dallas. That being said, no one would've thought those two teams would be where they're at now.

Thing with dallas is they wanted us to take one of there high priced goalies most likely

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Thing with dallas is they wanted us to take one of there high priced goalies most likely

That's probably true. Hot take alert: there isnt a goalie in the league that can mask Dallas' defensive/PK issues though. Lehtonen is well above league average 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad