Confirmed with Link: Ben Bishop (20% retained) and 5th to LAK for D Cernak, G Budaj, 7th, conditional pick

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
In my opinion Cernak is a pretty good prospect & getting better. L.A. had a logjam of defenseman in the AHL so they sent him here, he's developing well. Raddysh is unsigned & Tampa would do themselves good if they look to sign him as soon as possible. It never seems to be a bad thing having 2 brothers in the same system.

They NEED to sign his brother. I would be elated

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Here is my scoop on Cernak from my times watching Erie this year
I don’t get to go to all games but I do see the team often enough

Is he an offensive defender? I wouldn’t classify him as that. He doesn’t use his offensive ability consistent enough and I think overall he lacks all the instincts associated with that role. Ignore “Erie Otters Updater” on Twitter – it might be a young kid..
Cernak is not classified as an offensive guy. He simply doesn’t do it consistently enough to make myself think of him as a true OD. With that being said – he isn’t a stiff on the o-zone either. He has good skating for a guy of that size. He has solid vision on his long breakout passes. And he has enough puck skills to weave up on breakouts if needed. He still is raw in a lot of these categories but I don’t think its insane to think that 2 years in the AHL developing his skills could see him become a decent 2 way guy.

He has a huge frame. Many joke in Erie that he is truly a child’s mind stuck in a man’s body. No mistake about it that he is all of 6’3 220lbs. Just looks freaky out there. He isn’t stupid with his body either (rarely throws out illegal hits or dirty plays). I would say he is in control of his frame and knows how to use it. That said, I wish he would use it more. Last year he was underwhelming in erie. This season, and especially since the world juniors, he has been way more comfortable with using his puck skills/offense AND using his frame. He isn’t afraid of contact by any stretch. Rather I just think he is still learning that it’s a major asset he has and is truly what can separate him if develops it. Very strong frame and stance. Not easy to knock off puck. When he does use his body, he is dominant every shift against the best players in the league

His poke check is also very effective. Long reach (big guy, to be expected) but he is very much improved and active with his stick. When he does make a mistake he usually is able to recover with solid speed or his big body.
I personally wasn’t a fan of him last year. But he has improved dramatically since that time. And I feel he can still improve a lot. Consistency is the big thing and learning how to use his body more in all situations.
Given the expansion draft is approaching, not sure TB could have held onto Bishop and Vasy anyways?
Cernak is a decent get. He will benefit from a year or 2 in AHL. I think he could be a 4-5 guy if he reaches all of his potential. 5-6 guy seems reasonable.
Given that TB has Taylor Raddysh and Anthony Cirelli, 2 higher up picks/prospects for them, you have to wonder how much scouting they have done on Cernak. Clearly they could have been watching him for awhile now and see the potential. Would imagine they are very familiar with him because he is in Erie. So some optimism there for sure.

Well said. Fortunately someone can put observations I've had into complete paragraphs.

When Cernak first came to North America it was said that he was unaware that the OHL existed & was apprehensive to play here. His agent told him it would be a great idea for his development, it's working great so far.

I don't know how to double quote but I agree both Raddysh's in one system would be a great thing. Offensive defenseman? Think of the possibility of a Chris Letang type player down the road? (without the injuries of course).

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Vasy is .955 in 9 games since Bishop got traded. So far so good.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
IDK man. Libor Hajek really impressed me at the fan fest. He has very good stickhandling, especially for a shutdown defenseman.

I'd still rather have DeAngelo and his 1D upside, but I see Hajek becoming a 2D.

DeAngelo just got ejected from a game a few nights ago for boarding. Still not sure he can keep his head straight.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
DeAngelo just got ejected from a game a few nights ago for boarding. Still not sure he can keep his head straight.

Lol seriously? With the Yotes or is he in the AHL?

Edit: Also not shocked to find out that his pace has cooled considerably since his hot start. It happens all of the time, especially with Dmen.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Lol seriously? With the Yotes or is he in the AHL?

Edit: Also not shocked to find out that his pace has cooled considerably since his hot start. It happens all of the time, especially with Dmen.

It was on the 18th against the Blues. Happened less than 2 minutes into the game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It was a stupid play but I don't know if it was worth an ejection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad