Post-Game Talk: Belzebubs defeat Meanfish 3-2, Start season 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sharks need a goalie. Their PP also looks like ****, which is shameful considering the players they ice.
The PP coach is Steve Spott and we've been wanting him canned for a while.

He's DeBoer's best friend and right hand man. I don't see him getting fired until he goes with Pete. And he's not getting an NHL head coaching gig. Maybe he'll get an AHL head coaching gig somewhere. He was Pete's assistant in Kitchener for years, then took over as head coach when Pete went to the NHL to coach the Panthers. He ended up with Pete in San Jose when the Sharks hired him, after being an assistant for the Leafs for maybe one or two years before that and getting purged when they hired Babcock.

He's awful.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One fun trivia fact that I feel the production staff missed an opportunity to provide is that with this game, coaching against Pete DeBoer, John Hynes has now passed Pete DeBoer in games as Devils head coach. They showed the stat that he was third in wins among Devils head coaches and about to pass DeBoer (needs two more wins to move past Pete for second all time), but today was Hynes 249th game as Devils head coach in the regular season. Pete had 248 as Devils head coach in the regular season.
And to add to this. While today was Hynes 249th regular season game as a head coach for the Devils (And in the league), it was also Pete's 249th regular season game coaching the Sharks. Which means Pete's longest tenured head coaching gig is now with the Sharks.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Looked bad through 40, but they came up big in the 3rd.

Kinkaid was the obvious star, but besides him the best Devil on the ice was easily Severson. Stood out today among our D, was physical and assertive with the puck.

Palms coming up huge again. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Johansson-Zacha-Noesen were so bad the entire game they're gonna wanna erase this game from their memories and everyone else's. Absolutely abysmal.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
The PP coach is Steve Spott and we've been wanting him canned for a while.

He's DeBoer's best friend and right hand man. I don't see him getting fired until he goes with Pete. And he's not getting an NHL head coaching gig. Maybe he'll get an AHL head coaching gig somewhere. He was Pete's assistant in Kitchener for years, then took over as head coach when Pete went to the NHL to coach the Panthers. He ended up with Pete in San Jose when the Sharks hired him, after being an assistant for the Leafs for maybe one or two years before that and getting purged when they hired Babcock.

He's awful.

At least in NJ DeBoer had to deal with whoever Lou would tell him too. I think most of PB's staff was chose for him by Lou.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Looked bad through 40, but they came up big in the 3rd.

Kinkaid was the obvious star, but besides him the best Devil on the ice was easily Severson. Stood out today among our D, was physical and assertive with the puck.

Palms coming up huge again. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Johansson-Zacha-Noesen were so bad the entire game they're gonna wanna erase this game from their memories and everyone else's. Absolutely abysmal.

Zacha was very good, just couldn't convert.

Reactions: Darkauron

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Good god that power play breakout needs to die. I know a lot of teams use it but they're not even executing it properly. Instead of dropping it to the guy coming with speed around the red line in the NZ we're passing it all the way back into our own end lol. By the time the puck carrier gets to the opposing blue line it's a wall of humanity as everyone else has ground to a halt cause they have to wait, you can't even dump it in at retrieve it at that point never mind gain the zone .

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My hot take: Kinkaid ends up a top ten goalie for the year at season's end.
Wouldn't surprise me, just because there's always a random goalie that has a huge year. it could be him this year and if it is, he'll definitely be getting a starting gig or at least a chance to compete for one next year, like Carter Hutton did this past offseason.

I still think the Devils could wind up keeping him next year and I think we will if we get yet another year of ineffective goaltending from Schneider, so long as he also has a good year himself.

Reactions: haak84

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Good god that power play breakout needs to die. I know a lot of teams use it but they're not even executing it properly. Instead of dropping it to the guy coming with speed around the red line in the NZ we're passing it all the way back into our own end lol. By the time the puck carrier gets to the opposing blue line it's a wall of humanity as everyone else has ground to a halt cause they have to wait, you can't even dump it in at retrieve it at that point never mind gain the zone .

My favorite was when Zajac literally stopped at center ice for a few seconds and snapped one into a Sharks shinpad

Reactions: Bleedred and JK3

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Good god that power play breakout needs to die.

It's terrible.

It's like any other cool, new idea in the league. It works for 4o or 60 games, then someone figures out how to stop it and then everyone else watches tape and everyone stops it.

Worse? It kills 3 or 4 seconds each time you attempt it.

Reactions: JK3

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
The power play drop pass zone entry scheme is indeed the most awful play we carry out every game.
I've seen this at a bunch of islander games I've been too (from both teams playing). As a goalie I think it's the worst play any power play could do.... you're just looking for an odd man/breakaway against you

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
The power play drop pass zone entry scheme is indeed the most awful play we carry out every game.

A drop pass of that length literally negates any of the surprise factor of the play. I get that someone on the coaching staff is trying to be innovative but they should see by now that it’s dead

Reactions: Nubmer6

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
idk what to think about jones, his last 3 seasons were pretty consistent in terms of SV%
15-16: .917% (pretty solid season for him, considering he played a lot of games and had no backup before the trade deadline)

16-17: .912% (if he didn't play for a strong team, they might have missed the playoffs. This is mediocre for a goalie that I read called a ''Top-10'' so many times that year)

17-18: .915% (pretty average for a starting goalie in the NHL)

So I'd say he's no better than an average NHL starting goalie. Maybe not a bad one, but I think there's only about 7 or 8 teams in the league that don't have a goalie that's at least as good or better than him.

Reactions: Blender

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ya know what they say... Good DEA-FENCE leads to good OFFENSE.

Nice win. Let's keep it up. The @JK3 GDT streak continues!!!

Reactions: JK3

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
A drop pass of that length literally negates any of the surprise factor of the play. I get that someone on the coaching staff is trying to be innovative but they should see by now that it’s dead

it worked fine early on. its obviously something they are trying to perfect. i think you will see it less as the season goes on. but it will also work more

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Apparently saying Palmieri is on pace for 246 goals this year was not my only math fail of the day.

I also said Kinkaid allowed 5 goals this year, he's actually only allowed 4 goals.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
PP backpass entry is a fine strategy, they're just not executing it well. They also need to mix it up with some dump-ins to keep defense somewhat honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad