Belmont Park Islanders Arena Project - Upd 6/7 Construction ongoing, sched open for 2021-22 season

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Boomers talking out of his ass. The development is not whether or not the islanders will be tops in attendance-the development team makes their money from everything else-concerts, shows (this is why OVG is involved) and the high-end shopping village. The whole complex is 100% getting built.
The high-end shopping village practically guarantees this is being built. HUGE profits for that -- and HUGE sales tax income for the county and the state. Malkin's projects are built based on shopping tourism, and they do stupid high sales per square foot. Woodbury Commons does over $1.6K per square foot, and based on Malkin's track record this will pull in more (Bicester does $4K, the project outside of Paris does $2.5K -- the bulk from out of the area tourists.) It's getting done, and so is the train service -- even at Woodbury Commons levels, $300M is a rain drop in a thunderstorm when the project will be producing more than a billion dollars in sales per year.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Wouldn't be holdin' my breath till the damned thing is built...

And, if not... "Hartford/Kansas City/Quebec/Timbuktu, here we come!"

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
The high-end shopping village practically guarantees this is being built. HUGE profits for that -- and HUGE sales tax income for the county and the state. Malkin's projects are built based on shopping tourism, and they do stupid high sales per square foot. Woodbury Commons does over $1.6K per square foot, and based on Malkin's track record this will pull in more (Bicester does $4K, the project outside of Paris does $2.5K -- the bulk from out of the area tourists.) It's getting done, and so is the train service -- even at Woodbury Commons levels, $300M is a rain drop in a thunderstorm when the project will be producing more than a billion dollars in sales per year.
LOL. high end village shopping ? are you for real...do you really think tourists are going to go to a swamp in queens and shop ? and do you think floral park residents are going to do high end shopping ? A billion dollar sales in queens ? boy you are in for a rude awakening

Reactions: patnyrnyg

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
LOL. high end village shopping ? are you for real...do you really think tourists are going to go to a swamp in queens and shop ? and do you think floral park residents are going to do high end shopping ? A billion dollar sales in queens ? boy you are in for a rude awakening
Every time you comment you look worse.

Go and look up value retail. It’s shopping villages geared at wealthy tourists, and it’s been wildly successful.

The complex is getting built.

Reactions: Giuseppe Franco

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
Every time you comment you look worse.

Go and look up value retail. It’s shopping villages geared at wealthy tourists, and it’s been wildly successful.

The complex is getting built.
ok so you are telling me that wealthy tourist are going to trek out to Belmont queens and do high end shopping, did you ever hear about a place called 5th ave in manhattan or soho in manhattan ? what wealthy tourist is going to go to Belmont queens and do shopping ? yeah ok

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
ok so you are telling me that wealthy tourist are going to trek out to Belmont queens and do high end shopping, did you ever hear about a place called 5th ave in manhattan or soho in manhattan ? what wealthy tourist is going to go to Belmont queens and do shopping ? yeah ok

Report: Tourists spent $5.9 billion on LI

Tourists spent $5.9 billion on Long Island in 2017, up 4 percent over 2016, according to a new report.

The Island was No. 2 in spending after New York City among 11 state regions.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Yeah, because that is exactly what is done at the Value Retail locations outside of London and Paris, among other locations.

I’m going to wager a guess that I’m a little more involved in this project than you are.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
your article is stating that the spending was done on beaches and entertainment on LI, so what that does that have to do with retail shopping in Belmont, of course LI has high tourism revenue, that is because of all the beaches, fishing, hotel, and club industries. tourists visiting and staying in Manhattan are not going to shlep to Belmont to do high end shopping or have dinner in Belmont, tourist visiting NYC shop and dine on island called Manhattan. not someplace called Belmont in the middle of Queens.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I don't think wealthy european or asian tourists are going to be packing their luggage bags overseas and saying "boy I can't wait to get to Belmont Queens and do some shopping " tourists come and stay in Manhattan and do all their shopping /dining and tour attractions in Manhattan / times square.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
I don't think wealthy european or asian tourists are going to be packing their luggage bags overseas and saying "boy I can't wait to get to Belmont Queens and do some shopping " tourists come and stay in Manhattan and do all their shopping /dining and tour attractions in Manhattan / times square.
The Villages

Educate yourself a bit. This is what is being built. Paris is the shopping capital of the world, and it works well enough there.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Just remember, Amazon pulled out of almost the same area due to some public pushback.

And, the Amazon deal was a whole lot better for the city economically than an arena and shopping district.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Just remember, Amazon pulled out of almost the same area due to some public pushback.

And, the Amazon deal was a whole lot better for the city economically than an arena and shopping district.
Amazon left because they had tons of other options and it was clear that they were not going to get the tax breaks they were promised.

And Elmont and LI City are nowhere near being “almost the same area.”

Reactions: Lepardi

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
yeah but don't tell "nyscene" that he thinks magically rich people are going to go to a swamp in queens and do high end shopping

Reactions: NCRanger

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
yeah but don't tell "nyscene" that he thinks magically rich people are going to go to a swamp in queens and do high end shopping
Maybe you should learn some geography and learn the developers before opening your mouth. As I’ve said before, I know a lot more about the project than you do.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Amazon left because they had tons of other options and it was clear that they were not going to get the tax breaks they were promised.

And Elmont and LI City are nowhere near being “almost the same area.”

Maybe.

But both places are not served well by public transportation, and additional vehicle traffic will create neighborhood issues. Public pushback had more to do with politicians getting scared about the tax giveaways.

I can't when imagine a neighborhood that complains about possibly gaining 25,000 well paying jobs, would have a similar neighborhood not complain about an arena and shopping district (that would not serve the needs of the local community).

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Maybe.

But both places are not served well by public transportation, and additional vehicle traffic will create neighborhood issues. Public pushback had more to do with politicians getting scared about the tax giveaways.

I can't when imagine a neighborhood that complains about possibly gaining 25,000 well paying jobs, would have a similar neighborhood not complain about an arena and shopping district (that would not serve the needs of the local community).
There is pushback, but its mostly limited to the residents of Floral Park (a village that also complained about necessary upgrades to the LIRR, until the state basically gave them perks to shut up). Yes, traffic is a legitimate concern but not one that will jeopardize the development. Some mitigation of that is likely through re-working the parking arrangement to keep folks off of Planfield Ave. However, with it being state land complaints about it not being what "they" want will more or less go unanswered.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
Maybe you should learn some geography and learn the developers before opening your mouth. As I’ve said before, I know a lot more about the project than you do.
what does geography have to do with this discussion, I guarantee you I know way more geography than you do, when the project is cancelled please remember my name, thank you.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
They are already traveling two hours to Woodbury Commons, so sure, they wouldn't travel half the distance to a better experience -- similar to the ones already raking in billions of dollars in annual sales in Europe and Asia. Why? Because even the stupid rich would rather spend $800 than $2,000 for the same or a similar item.

How NY's Woodbury Outlet Became a Key Chinese Tourist Destination | Jing Travel

When Woodbury Common Premium Outlets opened at 9 a.m. Thursday, many of the shoppers wandering through the high-end shops had come a long way. Tourists getting off buses grabbed mall maps and chatted in Chinese, Spanish and German.
Karen Linley of Bedfordshire, England, said she visited the Mall of America in Minneapolis for her birthday 13 years ago, and it evolved into an annual November tradition. She and her daughter, Beth, were standing in front of Michael Kors before it opened.
“It’s just so cheap,” Linley said.
She has four children, and they all sent her photos of items on their Christmas wish list. Linley and her daughter brought four suitcases on their trip to New York, which will also include a few days in the city, and they hope to fill them.
Woodbury Common draws international tourists

Last edited:
Reactions: oknazevad

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Looking at this completely from a long way away, with no knowledge of the area, but simply reading the information available, it seems to me that the whole idea of the project actually is:
1- High end shopping district
2- Arena also included

The big $$ guys involved here, I think, consider the NHL a minor player in a large way - their real interest is ALL of their economic clout.

That's why I would be really surprised if the thing doesn't get built. However, I must say that, from my position (a long way away with no local knowledge, really), the shopping district without the arena MIGHT be possible?

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Looking at this completely from a long way away, with no knowledge of the area, but simply reading the information available, it seems to me that the whole idea of the project actually is:
1- High end shopping district
2- Arena also included

The big $$ guys involved here, I think, consider the NHL a minor player in a large way - their real interest is ALL of their economic clout.

That's why I would be really surprised if the thing doesn't get built. However, I must say that, from my position (a long way away with no local knowledge, really), the shopping district without the arena MIGHT be possible?
Unlikely for two reasons:
1. The arena was a necessary part of the RFP New York State issuer. If it was removed, a new RFP would be necessary.
2. The owner of the retail village company (Bicester Villages, formerly Value Retail) is the majority owner of the NY Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad