B-Sens Belleville 2018-2019 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

Is this common practice? Lol

My wife's maternity nurse was housing players when they were the Bulls. In fact one of her 'tenants', stepped in
after a Peterbourgh Pete named Tie Domi did something really dirty. They got in a fight where said player split Domi's
brow pretty badly. The scar is still visable. This nurse after the game yelled at Domi that he could of killed someone,
and his reply was the smack her as hard as he could with his equipment bag. Not a very large women, she was sent
flying.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The Perron part of the Karlsson deal has flown under the radar (or I missed it). I have a feeling he's going to blossom after a change of scenery.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Perron part of the Karlsson deal has flown under the radar (or I missed it). I have a feeling he's going to blossom after a change of scenery.

Had we kept Perron, I'm not even sure he'd have made the Belleville roster this year. They actually project to be quite deep this season.

Balcers-Carey-Batherson
Balisy-Chlapik-Gagne
Tambellini-Brown-Sexton
Labate-O'Brien-Rodewald
Leier

ECHL: Sturtz, Luchuk, Scarfo

He's a similar calibre prospect to Luchuk who I don't project to make the team this year.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Had we kept Perron, I'm not even sure he'd have made the Belleville roster this year. They actually project to be quite deep this season.

Balcers-Carey-Batherson
Balisy-Chlapik-Gagne
Tambellini-Brown-Sexton
Labate-O'Brien-Rodewald
Leier

ECHL: Sturtz, Luchuk, Scarfo

He's a similar calibre prospect to Luchuk who I don't project to make the team this year.

Obviously anything can happen, but this seems to me like a very good guess of the opening night roster. For my personal curiosity, does this mean you think Paul will grab the 4C role?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Obviously anything can happen, but this seems to me like a very good guess of the opening night roster. For my personal curiosity, does this mean you think Paul will grab the 4C role?

It's his to lose I think. I doubt they'll bury a guy like Chlapik on the fourth line, and I don't think they can justify putting a 30 year old journeyman [Carey] in that spot either.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It's his to lose I think. I doubt they'll bury a guy like Chlapik on the fourth line, and I don't think they can justify putting a 30 year old journeyman [Carey] in that spot either.

I could see them giving it to Carey but I agree, it is Paul's to lose. Definitely a big "prove it" camp for him.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
When thinking about the B-Sens roster this season, I can't help but think of Melnyk's comments from his strange video the other day. He said this season people could expect 10 players who are either brand new or have played under 10 NHL games. Is Melnyk just talking out of the other side of his mouth? I can't imagine roughly 10 rookies on an NHL roster helping with development. The last thing Ottawa needs is to rush the prospects and have them bypass development in the AHL.

Realistically I figure Chlapik, White, and likely Tkachuk would be the main rookies this season. I also wondered when they awarded Jim O'Brien with a 2-way contract near the end of last season, if they planned for him to play in Ottawa more.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
When thinking about the B-Sens roster this season, I can't help but think of Melnyk's comments from his strange video the other day. He said this season people could expect 10 players who are either brand new or have played under 10 NHL games. Is Melnyk just talking out of the other side of his mouth? I can't imagine roughly 10 rookies on an NHL roster helping with development. The last thing Ottawa needs is to rush the prospects and have them bypass development in the AHL.

Realistically I figure Chlapik, White, and likely Tkachuk would be the main rookies this season. I also wondered when they awarded Jim O'Brien with a 2-way contract near the end of last season, if they planned for him to play in Ottawa more.

Melnyk meant "10 players who were not on the opening roster last year", so that includes Tierney, Demelo, Wolanin, etc. Doesn't mean 10 actual rookies.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Melnyk meant "10 players who were not on the opening roster last year", so that includes Tierney, Demelo, Wolanin, etc. Doesn't mean 10 actual rookies.
That's what I initially thought too but I rewatched it and interpreted it differently. At 4:25 in the video he clearly says 10 of the guys will be new "meaning they're either rookies, or they've played maybe under 10 games last year". I'm thinking he either misspoke or doesn't know what he's talking about, especially after bringing in Troy Mann who has been preaching the importance of development in Belleville and that vets will have to work hard to earn their spots.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
That's what I initially thought too but I rewatched it and interpreted it differently. At 4:25 in the video he clearly says 10 of the guys will be new "meaning they're either rookies, or they've played maybe under 10 games last year". I'm thinking he either misspoke or doesn't know what he's talking about, especially after bringing in Troy Mann who has been preaching the importance of development in Belleville and that vets will have to work hard to earn their spots.

I wasn't masochistic enough to sit through the video, but here's how the team tried to backtrack those comments, via Ian Mendes:

"The organization did try and clear up one misconception from Monday’s video, involving Melnyk’s suggestion that 10 new players would be on the roster for opening night of this season.

Melnyk — they say — was actually comparing this year’s opening-night roster to last year’s, which featured the likes of Kyle Turris, Mike Hoffman, Derick Brassard, Dion Phaneuf, Nate Thompson, Alex Burrows, Johnny Oduya, Andrew Hammond and others.

The club says that comparing those two rosters side-by-side is how Melnyk came up with the number of 10 fresh faces for the 2018-19 campaign."

I think what probably happened is Melnyk tried to sell young, exciting players, and exaggerated by a factor of 3 or 4 how many rookies will actually make the team, leaving the organization in clean up mode.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Awesome, thanks. I didn't want to watch the video again but wanted to make sure I understood what he said the first time. That article certainly clears up the confusion. Thanks for sharing it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Thing is White and Chlapik played more than 10 games last year, so only Tkachuk qualify to Melnyk’s criteria.

Don’t worry about what he says, he doesn’t know what he is talking about... yet he’s the one managing the team :facepalm:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Thing is White and Chlapik played more than 10 games last year, so only Tkachuk qualify to Melnyk’s criteria.

Don’t worry about what he says, he doesn’t know what he is talking about... yet he’s the one managing the team :facepalm:

Or he knew Karlsson was going to be traded soon and had an idea of the general package, and he knows Stone, Dzingle and Duchene will be traded for sure. In that context there will be a lot of new faces and we will be loaded with picks.

I agree. I always liked him and I think he'll do well for the Barracudas. I don't know why we included him in the deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree. I always liked him and I think he'll do well for the Barracudas. I don't know why we included him in the deal.

Probably number of contracts, we added 4 contracts, and sent out 2. Pretty sure we're right up against the max # of contracts now.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Probably number of contracts, we added 4 contracts, and sent out 2. Pretty sure we're right up against the max # of contracts now.

Yip, that's what I figured as well. But did it have to be Perron who I think still has a chance to be something? Why not someone like Rodewald?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yip, that's what I figured as well. But did it have to be Perron who I think still has a chance to be something? Why not someone like Rodewald?
Sharks would probably insist on a player that has relatively neutral value if it's just to balance contracts,, not a sure fire wasted contract, rather one that's still go a shot, but is a darkhorse to make it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Sharks would probably insist on a player that has relatively neutral value if it's just to balance contracts,, not a sure fire wasted contract, rather one that's still go a shot, but is a darkhorse to make it.

You mean getting a generational talent on D is not enough?

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Or he knew Karlsson was going to be traded soon and had an idea of the general package, and he knows Stone, Dzingle and Duchene will be traded for sure. In that context there will be a lot of new faces and we will be loaded with picks.

Ok but I was commenting the initial Melnyk comment though, that there would be 10 rookies with less than 10 GP last year... Tkachuk might be the only guy fitting that bill. Formenton, Balcers, Batherson have a shot but not all 3 will make it. Norris will be in College, Tierney is 24 and has played Full seasons. Etc

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Ok but I was commenting the initial Melnyk comment though, that there would be 10 rookies with less than 10 GP last year... Tkachuk might be the only guy fitting that bill. Formenton, Balcers, Batherson have a shot but not all 3 will make it. Norris will be in College, Tierney is 24 and has played Full seasons. Etc

Yeah, I know what you mean. It might have been Melnyk being terrible at communicating.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, I know what you mean. It might have been Melnyk being terrible at communicating.

An owner should never be involved in team/roster management, unless he is qualified for that. Not because you are qualified in one field that you can be qualified in every field. When I look at franchises, I don’t look at businesses I have no idea of. Have to stick with what I know

The ownership problems might not even be just financial, Melnyk ego is also creating problems. I have the feeling he ordered Dorion to trade EK because he is not in good terms with him anymore. And not at the best time when we could get the desired return (like when a team best D-man gets injured), but it had to be done before the training camp. A deadline for a trade like this at this time of the year is absolutely not ideal.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Also stumbled upon this RE: Perron

and this:

Reactions: DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was just looking up AHL TV passes and its 59.99 for the whole season a team. That's pretty reasonable, I might sign on then follow the BSens the whole season.

A lot more reasonable than the $200+ that it was last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad