OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Steelers definitely have a trend going recently where they’ll take guys with medical concerns…so far it hasn’t worked out for them with Trice and Washington…maybe the third time’s a charm …

I wouldn’t say Washington hasn’t worked out for them, he’s just looking like the guy he was projected to be - a pass blocking TE.

I don’t know much about AS offense, but if it’s as run heavy as I’ve heard, Washington will have way more value than in a Canada offense.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn’t say Washington hasn’t worked out for them, he’s just looking like the guy he was projected to be - a pass blocking TE.

I don’t know much about AS offense, but if it’s as run heavy as I’ve heard, Washington will have way more value than in a Canada offense.
Well I don’t think you need to take a just blocking TE in the third round…you can sign undrafted players if that’s all you want,,,he was taken, like Wilson, in round three because of tantalizing potential as a pass catcher too, to be a difference maker.,,so far, he just looks like a good blocker with bad knees, someone they could have picked up in the 7th round, so you have to chalk up “the field’s” view of him right now…it’s only been a year and now a new OC, so let’s see if he can break out

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well I don’t think you need to take a just blocking TE in the third round…you can sign undrafted players if that’s all you want,,,he was taken, like Wilson, in round three because of tantalizing potential as a pass catcher too, to be a difference maker.,,so far, he just looks like a good blocker with bad knees, someone they could have picked up in the 7th round, so you have to chalk up “the field’s” view of him right now…it’s only been a year and now a new OC, so let’s see if he can break out

Tuman was one of the best blocking TE in the league and a big part of helping them win a SB with his dominant blocking.

They took him in round three, so I don’t have an issue with it.

It’s not a sexy skill set, but it’s invaluable to a team that wants to play bully ball.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

If Washington can be an elite “extra tackle” type run blocker and red zone weapon its well worth it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Khan and Co should be swinging out of their shoes today. Take the big risks. They already won.

It’s probably folly but I’m hoping they scheme up some LeBeau-style delayed inside pressure with Wilson and Queen.

An old school zone-blitzing style would be a sight for sore eyes.

Reactions: Andy99

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I’m just saying he hasn’t been that so far…that’s it…

And thats totally fair. He was a total zero as a receiver last year but imo its hard to separate how much is on him and how much its on Canada, Pickett etc.

Would prefer they just stay away from this

Im still not sure what happened, on one hand the charges were lessened but on the other it whatever happened was bad enough for Detriot to cut him. I havent read any actual details of the accusation.

Edit: never mind battery by strangulation, ill pass.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sets the Steelers up to take some reasonable risk chances today.

High upside guys who had an injury set back, similar.

I would grab another receiver among that group.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m just saying he hasn’t been that so far…that’s it…

I agree with your overall point - taking flyers on medical flags hasn’t worked out for them lately.

I just don’t mind when they do it in the third and beyond WHEN they have extra picks on day two ... Ie they had two seconds last year and two thirds this year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I’d be very surprised if they are “counting on” Trice. He’s a late pick who’s never even played a preseason game. He’s a lottery ticket.
He has as much of a chance as anyone that they draft today.

I am betting that is their thought process.

So, no not counting on him.
But maybe drafting only one defensive back today instead of two.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Happy as hell Steelers stayed away from this mess and got a high character guy like Wilson.

Hopefully they are learning their lesson about head cases at flanker.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Does Darius Rush have any upside left? I know he's been cut twice and dropped, but he was supposed to be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Happy as hell Steelers stayed away from this mess and got a high character guy like Wilson.

I mean we drafted a guy who got in trouble for a fake idea and under age drinking not some one with type 1 diabetes who like GP takes olays off and gets made when he isn’t targeted

He has as much of a chance as anyone that they draft today.

I am betting that is their thought process.

So, no not counting on him.
But maybe drafting only one defensive back today instead of two.
They have 3 picks left unless they trade for more they weren’t drafting 2

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not a fan of taking a blocking first TE in the 3rd round either. It feels like they're cheap enough to get in FA and take a while to get up to speed as a rookie.

But I don't think Washington's knees are why he looks an inept route runner so far. The problem with Washington doesn't look like his medical report, it just looks like a really massive guy who didn't run a lot of routes isn't all that good at them. It's not like we haven't seen a few guys with really shot knees run routes just fine.

I also think there was always an acknowledgement it'd take Washington a while to unlock his full potential. If he spends two years as a decent blocking TE then two years as a do it all option who really uses his athleticism to the hilt, that's not a bad pick.

Really feels like Weidl is having major influence in the draft room. To have gone OL-CB-DL-OL-OL in the first two rounds the past two years is absolutely the type of thing Philadelphia did when he was there.

I'm assuming there are still a few veterans they'll add before camp, but the biggest needs right now would seem to be, in order, WR2, slot CB, and they still could use another S and DL (unless they want to give Leal and Loudermilk another year, which, meh). Probably asking too much to expect to fill one of those slots in the 4th round, so I'd presume there will be some FA signings and/or trades still to come.

The odd thing is the Eagles never did. They had that sort of rep but they only took first round OL twice when he was there (six years) and linemen in the first two rounds once. Sure he's enjoying getting to be in a chance where the trenches needed more building.

I also think they could possibly get slot CB/S/DL at this point, but it might take a bit of luck. I agree we're back in the FA market from here.

Speaking of the Ravens, this is the first time in while I’m not seeing everyone of their picks and saying “Of course that guy fell to them”

Which tbh probably means they’ve just drafted 3 hall of famers

Wiggins at 30 could be stupidly good value if he's got the physicality to cope with the NFL. But yeah, not so much their year to be the guy cleaning up the big names.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

That is simply the cherry on top.

The simple fact is that Frazier and Wilson have a much higher value than Mitchell and whatever center that they reached for in round three.

There were three top tier centers and then a drop. There were, and are, a lot more receivers with potential.

That is a huge factor.

In a vacuum, and ignoring character entirely, both were similar talents and similarly rated. Minor fallers.

But, given what I said above, you don't even need to get into character to know that it was the correct pick.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They should double down on WR at this point unless a real good corner is still there…less available in the draft and the market than a nickel corner
Wr 2 going to be by a committee people wanted Reyndolds from the lions Willson can match his numbers as a rookie

Does Darius Rush have any upside left? I know he's been cut twice and dropped, but he was supposed to be a 2nd-3rd round pick.
He is probably the lead gunner now that Pierre and Boykin are gone at the minimum

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Tons. He's still only a guy entering his second year. Two teams with pretty dense secondaries couldn't keep him around but that doesn't mean he can't come good, his athletic profile is stupid so it's just a matter of learning to recognise the plays.

To me the question is less does he have upside and more how much are they willing to rely on him this year? Are they happy to have him be the next boundary CB up if something happens, or do they want to keep him down the depth chart and mainly use him on special teams this year while he learns? The team did just wave goodbye to both their gunners and Rush is the overwhelmingly likely candidate to benefit already on the roster, so I imagine he gets that at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad