Management Behind the B - 2015 NHL Draft

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I HATE bringing this up as a new topic BUT

A friend of mine who is 74 years old and has been a STH since 1967 called me after the B's were eliminated by NYI and asked me if the Bruins fired everybody involved in the 2015 debacle (Sweeney did inherit Chiarelli's crew)

I know it is painful to look back but it is what it is,

Here's the thing for people who want us to move on or get over it: it's never going to happen. It was such a colossal f*** up that it can never be lived down or forgotten. It has cost this core 1 Cup & probably another. Opposing fans were coming to the draft day thread to console us. It was that bad. It will be a day that will live in infamy forever in Bruins history.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Here's the thing for people who want us to move on or get over it: it's never going to happen. It was such a colossal f*** up that it can never be lived down or forgotten. It has cost this core 1 Cup & probably another. Opposing fans were coming to the draft day thread to console us. It was that bad. It will be a day that will live in infamy forever in Bruins history.

Yeah but how often did we hear this song until now. Whats the point in waking up, going in the internet and post "Bruins f***ed up this draft and lost multiple cups because of that", live your daily life, go to sleep, wake up and do the same? Groundhog day all over again.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Yeah but how often did we hear this song until now. Whats the point in waking up, going in the internet and post "Bruins f***ed up this draft and lost multiple cups because of that", live your daily life, go to sleep, wake up and do the same? Groundhog day all over again.

Nah. I think I'll do whatever I want.

MarbleMist

May 17, 2021
Yup. Your choice.

But spend a day like I did yesterday at UMass Med while they inform me, us, my wife has Uterine cancer.

To date Ive only told @Fenway.

But maybe it can reading this can help someone, anyone, with gaining perspective.

2015, Sweeney, JDB, none of it means shit in the overall.

I may not be around much in the near future. Thats why.

As they say, 'of the things that matter the least, sports matters the most'.

She can beat it. Believe!

Reactions: Gee Wally

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Agree, it doesn't need to be daily but this won't go away until that fine day the last of Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, Konecny have finally retired.

But before their retirement announcements we will learn one of or all of our glorious 2015 first round draft picks will have signed a contract in Europe.

It's not going away and I hope it haunts Neely/Sweeney for decades. Watching Barzal this past series couldn't have been easy for those two arrogant AHs. At least that brings a smile to this fans face.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Agree it does not have to be daily but this won't go away until that fine day the last of Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, Konecny have finally retired.

But before their retirement announcements we will learn one of or all of our glorious 2015 first round draft picks will have signed a contract in Europe.

It's not going away and I hope it haunts Neely/Sweeney for decades. Watching Barzal this past series couldn't have been easy for those two arrogant AHs. At least that brings a smile to this fans face.
Agree. And it’s easy enough for the happy-go-lucky-sunshine fans to ignore this thread. 2015 draft has crushed this teams chance at another Cup

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Agree. And it’s easy enough for the happy-go-lucky-sunshine fans to ignore this thread. 2015 draft has crushed this teams chance at another Cup

2015 was just the start or should I say the draft of 2015. Sweeney has been an enigma ever since, but amazingly this core lead by Marchand and Bergeron have kept the bruins above water and its not too late to fix the Ship, as long as they throw Sweeney overboard before he can do anymore damage.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
No way Sweeney/Neely select a guy like Caufield at 20 this year. He would be to small, uncharacteristic, and skilled/fast.
I’m not convinced they’d draft DeBrincat at 29 in 2016, if they were the only ones who could see into the future and knew what we know now. Neely LOVES big guys who can’t score but drop the gloves and throw checks. He’s a dinosaur and a mediocre hockey mind. Sweeney would still probably hate how he’s not a great two-way player.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m not convinced they’d draft DeBrincat at 29 in 2016, if they were the only ones who could see into the future and knew what we know now. Neely LOVES big guys who can’t score but drop the gloves and throw checks. He’s a dinosaur and a mediocre hockey mind. Sweeney would still probably hate how he’s not a great two-way player.
Neely must have zero influence then if that`s the kind of player he likes because this team, if anything, is completely absent of those who throw checks and drop the mitts

Reactions: BMC and sebskym

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
@Gee Wally That really sucks, my friend. My best to your wife and to yourself (and the rest of your family) as you deal with whatever this might mean going forward. I don't know if this is as bad as the Bruins 2015 first round, but it's gotta be close ;) (I jest, hang in there man).

Reactions: Gee Wally

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Neely must have zero influence then if that`s the kind of player he likes because this team, if anything, is completely absent of those who throw checks and drop the mitts

Bruins had 15 fighting majors this season. Good for 9th most in a league 31 teams.

As for throwing checks, I believe the Islanders/Bruins series had more hits than any other series.

Reactions: Blowfish

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bruins had 15 fighting majors this season. Good for 9th most in a league 31 teams.

As for throwing checks, I believe the Islanders/Bruins series had more hits than any other series.
I know the stats and while I don`t think the B`s are ever intimidated by bigger teams, this is not a lineup full of bangers. Don`t see a ton of opponents worried about the physical element the B`s bring

This is a lineup right now of guys who throw a check but rarely does it come with a purpose that forces opponents into poor decision making

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Still bottles my mind that they had 3 picks in the first round and they seemingly went into it without a plan.

How is Neely saying he wishes they had more time? I have to imagine a hockey franchise has enough resources to pull together a respectable gameplan on short notice. And if for whatever reason they allegedly didn't have time to do their due diligence....why wouldn't you just go with the consensus of people who did?

Look at some mock drafts from the experts ffs. It would be infinitely more understandable if they picked the guys that everyone else is expecting them to pick and they end up being busts.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I agree they must have lined up the picks to skip the guys on the board
The teams after the Bruins must have been laughing
Look at the islanders Barzel and barmiliveau

Reactions: Blowfish

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I agree they must have lined up the picks to skip the guys on the board
The teams after the Bruins must have been laughing
Look at the islanders Barzel and barmiliveau
Kevin Cheveldayoff was caught on video laughing at our DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks because he knew he was going to get Kyle Connor. He was originally going to take Brock Boeser.

Marek and Wyshynski interviewed several execs from around the league and they all viewed Sweeney as a laughing stock.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Still bottles my mind that they had 3 picks in the first round and they seemingly went into it without a plan.

How is Neely saying he wishes they had more time? I have to imagine a hockey franchise has enough resources to pull together a respectable gameplan on short notice. And if for whatever reason they allegedly didn't have time to do their due diligence....why wouldn't you just go with the consensus of people who did?

Look at some mock drafts from the experts ffs. It would be infinitely more understandable if they picked the guys that everyone else is expecting them to pick and they end up being busts.

The day before the draft they only had one first round pick.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Neely’s take on the 2015 draft
I’m sure allot of you have already read this but this set the future in a tailspin
Neely gives honest take on disastrous 2015 draft for Bruins

Why are they still active in the Bruin's organization?

The guys put the list together. I think maybe during that time, we should have taken some time out – as everybody knows, we tried to move up in the draft. It didn’t work. We probably should have taken the time out and really just digested that list a little bit more. Then there was a pick that one of our scouts really thought that the player wouldn’t be available in the second round.

member 96824

Hence the

Especially since they negotiated to get those draft picks. Not as if it was a burden dropped upon them unexpectedly.

Well..unless they were dumb enough to assume “trade talks” means “trade completed and finalized” and didn’t believe a plan B would be important.

But no one is that dumb…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad