Management Behind the B - 2015 NHL Draft

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This is fair, and what Dom relayed may very well have been an excuse to absolve Sweeney. There are posters here who defend Sweeney and who don’t assign any blame to him for the drafting miscues and roster mistakes, but I’m not one of them. The buck ultimately stops with him. In fact, I believe that he, Neely and pretty much the entire scouting department should be fired. As long as they are in charge, I will remain pessimistic about the Bruins’ future.

I give Sweeney credit when it's due. But I was never a fan of the hiring. Never liked Neely in his position either. And I got laughed at when I said don't underestimate how involved Sinden is. And now you know, the rest of the story.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I mean this respectfully to Dom and anyone else that has shared this story, but no mention of this was made until 2020 when Robert Thomas was a cup champion, putting up 42 points as a sophomore and Vaak was still on mars or wherever he is.

It makes me skeptical, because it's in line with every other "leak" that hits HFBoards. Don? Oh no not Don. It couldn't be Don. It's never Don's fault. It's always someone else....unless it was a good move. Cam makes the bad trades, Cam makes the bad signings, the scouts make the bad picks, poor Don just never has a say except for when he finally overcomes all of the odds.

Not to mention, in 6 years, Robert Thomas would have been the first and only forward they drafted in the top 2 rounds that was in line with his pre-draft rankings. Compared to D men, where 5/8 have been in line(3/3 first rounders)...so it would be a difference in overall strategy as well compared to everything they've done in their 6 years at the helm.

Them not having a plan B after plan A falls through and scrambling in the middle of the draft floor does sound likely though.

Again, all due respect to Dom and the others that have shared this. It's not a question of their integrity, I 100% believe they heard that. I just question the source they heard that from, cause it's very convenient and very in line with a long long list of excuses that aim to absolve Sweeney of any blame.

I to will be respectful Bradly.

You obviously don't listen to every podcast that I appear on. Because less then a week after the draft, I went on at great length about it.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I see a lot of people blaming Gretzky for the Senyshyn pick. Nope. Wasn't his call.

Mike Chiarelli (Peter's brother) was the Bruins scout in the Ontario Hockey League. I've said this many of times: In three years I have only seen him in a rink once.

After Peter got fired, they knew Mike was on his way out the door and accepted no input from him. Dean Malkoc was (is) the Bruins Western Hockey League scout and he did cross-over scouting of the three CHL Leagues. All three picks were on Malkoc's opinions (as was Jesse Gabrielle).

member 96824

I to will be respectful Bradly.

You obviously don't listen to every podcast that I appear on. Because less then a week after the draft, I went on at great length about it.

Ahh, my mistake then. I was just going off a search here.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Here's the story on Jesse with apologies to @Gee Wally and @Fenway who know the story and if you feel it needs to be deleted, go ahead.

It was the summer of 2016 and he was going to be playing in a summer league outside Toronto with other NHL players. I recall mentioning it on this board at the time and especially at how ripped he was.

His dad called me and invited me up to watch the game and have a beverage afterwards with the two of them.

So we're sitting there having a cold one (and I knew immediately that when Jesse opened his mouth that he was an HF boards reader) when shockingly he said to me "Why the F*** is everyone talking about Jake F****** DeBrusk playing with Krejci? I'm a better F****** hockey player than Jake F****** DeBrusk"

I was in shock and couldn't believe my ears and all I could think of to say was "just go out on the ice and make them change their opinions."

During the 2017-2018 season, he asked for a trade. Sweeney told him "we're not going to give you away, just go out on the ice a play your game, work hard and let us get some value for you and we will work out a deal."

Story has it that the Bruins shipped him back to Regina of the WHL. Not true. He packed his bags and went.

The following season, Sweeney got through to him and he returned, but did not make the Providence lineup and was sent to Atlanta in the ECHL.

The rest as you know, is history.

DeBrusk, Zboril, Senyshyn, Gabrielle - one thing in common. Dean Malkoc.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Living and dying by whether a group of multimillionaires whom we don't even know puts a piece of rubber past another multimillionaire isn't really living our lives either. Nor is posting daily on an internet forum for that matter. But it is what it is. If I want to be pissed-off I'll be pissed-off thank you very much.

Yup. Your choice.

But spend a day like I did yesterday at UMass Med while they inform me, us, my wife has Uterine cancer.

To date Ive only told @Fenway.

But maybe it can reading this can help someone, anyone, with gaining perspective.

2015, Sweeney, JDB, none of it means shit in the overall.

I may not be around much in the near future. Thats why.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yup. Your choice.

But spend a day like I did yesterday at UMass Med while they inform me, us, my wife has Uterine cancer.

But maybe it can reading this can help someone, anyone, with gaining perspective.

Your bride is my thoughts

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yup. Your choice.

holy shit Wally, I'm so sorry, man. My heart goes out to you & your wife. I wish her all the best in the fight she's facing. we'll all be pulling for her here.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yup. Your choice.

Thinking of you and your wife Wally.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yup. Your choice.

If you need anything Wally, you know how to reach me.

Your wife will be in my prayers tonight.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Yup. Your choice.

May she prevail in her upcoming battle. We know that you’ll be at her side every step of the way.

Reactions: Gee Wally

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yup. Your choice.

Love you, man. I'm sending all the blessings and prayers out to you and your family.

member 96824

Yup. Your choice.

Love you buddy. If there’s anything at all we can do, let us know.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Yup. Your choice.

Blessings, brother.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yup. Your choice.

Definitely praying for you, Wally. If there’s anything the rest of us on this board can do, please don’t hesitate to ask.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Yup. Your choice.

Well obviously I'm very sorry to hear that and I only wish your wife and yourself all the best. Hopefully medical science, coupled with your wife's strength, along with your love and support, plus faith, will be enough to beat it. Thoughts and prayers.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Yup. Your choice.

Wishing you and your wife all the best and much strength

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
Yup. Your choice.

Wally, you and I don't know each other, but trust me when I say I have been reading your "perspective" on these boards for well over 20 years. So I feel like I know you.

I send faith, hope, strength, courage and every other force this damn little keyboard can muster to you and "the bride". Godspeed man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad