Pre-Game Talk: Beginning of the Road to Nowhere (@PHI, @BOS, @MON)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
7 game road trip. This could be the turning point in the season, or things could be looking extremely ugly after this.

Things aren't extremely ugly right now?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm feeling the same sense of hopelessness I felt during the Sacco years. The only thing on this team that is any fun to watch is Mack.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Two of the three pieces I thought I could enjoy watching this season, even if the team sucked, are currently elsewhere. All I have is MacKinnon now. There's other good things about this team as well but they are what they are at this point. I'm more interested in seeing how the young players/prospects develop.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think they will be fine in BOS and PHI, MTL could be bad.

Im really curious to see if Roy goes with the big 3 line for an entire game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hopefully they'll find a way to at least play .500 hockey.

As bad as it has been, it could get downright ugly if they don't find a way to win here and there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sakic on Zadorov:

“A little bit like Rantanen, I think he lost a little bit of confidence,” Sakic said of Zadorov, “and if you’re not playing PK, PP — the quality minutes — as a young guy, (they need to go down). We’re going to need him (in the future). For a young man in that position, he needs to play a ton and work on his confidence. He’ll go down and play as much as he can and keep learning that way. The only way you can get better is by playing a lot at a young man’s age.”

For now, Sakic does not intend to recall a San Antonio defenseman, and the Avs will take seven D into their seven-game road trip that begins Tuesday at Philadelphia.

On Tanguay:

Winger Alex Tanguay, meanwhile, is out for an “extended period” from a knee injury he suffered in Friday’s 2-1 loss to the visiting New York Rangers, Sakic said, who added the team will recall a Rampage forward.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2015/11/07/gm-joe-sakic-discusses-nikita-zadorov-demotion-alex-tanguay-injury/22508/

Chambers also says Mitchell is expected back vs the Flyers.

Based on that quote, it doesn't sound like this is just something for the weekend. They might leave Zadorov down there for a bit.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Pickard part of that article was the most interesting. He said twice that Pickard will be "here" next year. Um? And chambers thinks he will challenge Varly.

If Mitchell is back then they don't NEED an extra forward. I understand wanting to have one on the road with a few gimpy players. I'm putting my money on Rendulic.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
"if you're not playing the PK or PP".

Well for starters he should've played at least on the PP instead of Holden and Frankie.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Pickard part of that article was the most interesting. He said twice that Pickard will be "here" next year. Um? And chambers thinks he will challenge Varly.

If Mitchell is back then they don't NEED an extra forward. I understand wanting to have one on the road with a few gimpy players. I'm putting my money on Rendulic.

Berra is under contract next year, but perhaps he'll be able to build some trade value this year.

I can't see them trade Varlamov this year or next, but he would fetch a haul.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If he did lose confidence, I can think of a few reasons for that. It's why I don't like young players being so limited by the coach and also getting pulled in and out of the lineup. Some people disagreed when I said it about Gormley but I really do think there's something to young players being afraid to make mistakes, which then really hurts their play once they get back in.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If he did lose confidence, I can think of a few reasons for that. It's why I don't like young players being so limited by the coach and also getting pulled in and out of the lineup. Some people disagreed when I said it about Gormley but I really do think there's something to young players being afraid to make mistakes, which then really hurts their play once they get back in.

I always said you have to give players with talent room to make mistakes. Limited players should of course be expected to play within their limits, but you want those that can make plays to feel free to do them.

Roy isn't terrible when it comes to this. He gave Rantanen a shot out of training camp. But he does tend to pull the plug on young defenders instead of the slow shot blockers, which is a bit frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad