OT: Beer Thread

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yep. But, like top 40 radio, it's what "the people" like.

I appreciate all beer styles. As a former home brewer, I can respect the skill it takes to produce a "mega-lager". Any idiot can throw together a good pale ale or stout. When you start crafting beers at the extreme ends of the spectrum, be it a light North American lager or a Belgian Quad, you need to have all your ducks in a row. Otherwise, you can end up with some nasty, nasty flavours.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
What an exhaustive list of absolutely garbage beer.
upload_2018-11-14_10-16-5.png

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Tried the Old Friar Mead from Barn Hammer and wasn't impressed. Here's what they have to say about it.

Old Friar

Can't agree with their POV on this. I don't think caramelizing the honey works (to boil or not to boil has been a big debate among home mead makers for years), and I don't think it has a cleaner taste than "wine-style" meads. I find the meads I get from Prairie Bee in Saskatchewan to be way better. https://www.prairiebeemeadery.ca/

I pick some up when we visit Moose Jaw but you can contact them and see if they can ship online orders to wherever you live.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It would be very interesting to setup a poll like question similar to the hockey redraft polls where the forum members vote for #1, and then another beer is added and they vote for #2, etc. The problem would be how to choose the first group of say 20 beers for the poll. or...would that be possible?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
A local craft beer could probably come up with something better then whatever crap Bud is coming out with. Lame.

Yeah, even Fort Garry. :laugh: But of course TNSE doesn't partner with local breweries, so you knew it was going to a megaswill producer. :thumbd:

Reactions: Duke749

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Not sure how you would pick just 20 beers to rate.
It would be very interesting to setup a poll like question similar to the hockey redraft polls where the forum members vote for #1, and then another beer is added and they vote for #2, etc. The problem would be how to choose the first group of say 20 beers for the poll. or...would that be possible?

Reactions: Heldig

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Sookram brewing on Warsaw with some nice offerings. Have a sour ready on Friday, which will be one of their core beers. Good news for my summer. :)

Reactions: kanadalainen

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
For $2.80 or less for a tall can at the LC, as it is now:

Dab regular (German) , Kovachko (Croatia), Baltika (Russian), Kozel (Czech), Land shark Lager (Canada)

Cezchvar is a good one but they raised the prices over 2.80 for the Pilsner or Dunkel.

That’s If you respect your beer tasting buds.

Best bang for the buck peeps!

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
For $2.80 or less for a tall can at the LC, as it is now:

Dab regular (German) , Kovachko (Croatia), Baltika (Russian), Kozel (Czech), Land shark Lager (Canada)

Cezchvar is a good one but they raised the prices over 2.80 for the Pilsner or Dunkel.

That’s If you respect your beer tasting buds.

Best bang for the buck peeps!
Steamworks released their tall can packs at the same price as the regular can size. They make some great brews and I am pretty sure some of it makes its way that far east.
Their YVR isa is great for the summer, but that last release (Battleship Double IPA) at 8.2% had a bit of a kick.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Beer Advent Calendar's here! The Beer Advent Calendar's here! OK, so maybe it's not as exciting as a new phone book, and at $165 plus tax significantly more expensive. Still, it's a chance to taste 24 beers not normally found in these parts. This year is a salute to Belgium. Hurry, limited supply. You can check store inventory on the web site.

Reactions: Ducky10

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Beer Advent Calendar's here! The Beer Advent Calendar's here! OK, so maybe it's not as exciting as a new phone book, and at $165 plus tax significantly more expensive. Still, it's a chance to taste 24 beers not normally found in these parts. This year is a salute to Belgium. Hurry, limited supply. You can check store inventory on the web site.

Sounds fun, but no way in hell I could justify $165 for a two-four :laugh:. Still, it's cheaper than beer at a Jets game!

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

That's a lot of phenols.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
BTW, I'm an advent calendar rule breaker so they all got unboxed and a dozen tossed into the downstairs beer fridge. Yes, there's an upstairs beer fridge, too. Can't have too many beer fridges. Grabbed one at random last night and had the Tiny Rebel Paper Planes Belgian West Coast IPA. So, basically an American style with a Belgian twist made in Wales. :thumbu:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tiny-rebel-paper-planes/757204/

If it's going to be compared to the US styles, it seemed more East Coast than West Coast, hazy and not stupidly bitter, and that's fine with me. Off to a good start, methinks.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Pricing isn't awful. Clearly I go to too many Jets games but even when I go to the Grant and buy a 12 pack now it's running me easily over $50. They are the pint cans and generally are higher alcohol beers. Now the whisky advent calendar is expensive. Ouch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad