OT: Beer Thread

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Was there a few weeks ago and it does taste fresher.. but it does all come from the same place.
Clean lines are also important.
I would say this is the biggest factor

"Ambience and company factor into enjoyment. Overall, Guinness drunk in optimal conditions (in a nice Irish pub vs. the brewery where it was made vs. pubs outside of Ireland) rated much higher in terms of enjoyment than just about anywhere else."

I believe you are correct and my Irish colleague has stressed this to me several times. He claims that if you go into a pub and don't see folks already drinking Guinness then don't order one unless the bartender is willing to pour a couple out before giving you one. Guinness is well known for going bad in the lines pretty quickly. I have made this mistake and it put me off drinking Guinness for a while until he told me what likely happened.

Guinness also makes West Indies Porter which is quite good for those that like porters.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Made my second ever trip to Brussels this summer. My first trip was a "Sour" discovery. This time I branched out and tried some other beers. These two (the Val Dieu and the Straffe Hendrik) were my favourites. I'm hoping Hannuj can point me in the direction of similar beers available in Canada (I live in YWG but I'm in YYZ at least 30 times a year). Thanks
IMG_2134.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Made my second ever trip to Brussels this summer. My first trip was a "Sour" discovery. This time I branched out and tried some other beers. These two (the Val Dieu and the Straffe Hendrik) were my favourites. I'm hoping Hannuj can point me in the direction of similar beers available in Canada (I live in YWG but I'm in YYZ at least 30 times a year). ThanksView attachment 136813 View attachment 136815
in two weeks, Winnipeg is getting a very small shipment of an awesome lambic (3 Fonteinen). at the Quality Inn.
if you ever go to belgium, msg me first. i'd be happy to share my itineraries and suggestions.
not knocking the two breweries (Straffe is very pretty) but there are others that are always on my hit list.
once you go sour, you never go back.

Reactions: imec and portamoral

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Was out on the east coast this summer for about two weeks. Got to stop by Garrison Brewing Company, Keiths Brewery and Pumphouse in Moncton. Big fan of Garrison Brewing Co now... BEEERRRRR

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
So it’s pretty much understood that this (awsome) thread also includes liquors of all kinds.. but what about the upcoming legalization of Marijuana? Would that require it’s own thread?
I’m curious where the dispensary’s in Winnipeg are going to be located? From what google is telling me they are all located in Osborne Village...

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I worked in asphalt paving roads and highways for years and I can honestly say, on a hot day, when you’rer dripping in sweat, nothing goes down better or easier than an ice cold OV.
I save my experimentation for bar and/or party drinking. The bar I frequent has a beer club challenge. You have to drink 100 different beers in the span of a year. If you do it, you get your name on a plaque on the wall.
It’s a cool way to introduce people to different beers from around the world.

Reactions: Duke749 and Swiftt

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I frequent the Lake of the Woods a lot during the summer as one of my good friends has a cabin at Willard Lake so we hit up Lake of the Woods Brewery often and I find myself drinking their Sultana which is rather tasty.

lake-woods-brewing-company-sultana-gold_1482253059.png

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I worked in asphalt paving roads and highways for years and I can honestly say, on a hot day, when you’rer dripping in sweat, nothing goes down better or easier than an ice cold OV.
I save my experimentation for bar and/or party drinking. The bar I frequent has a beer club challenge. You have to drink 100 different beers in the span of a year. If you do it, you get your name on a plaque on the wall.
It’s a cool way to introduce people to different beers from around the world.

We have a bar chain down here like that called TacoMac. So far I’ve tried over 140 different beers. I have the app on my phone and it gives you updates for when people reach milestones and any special deer releases. Some people have reached 2,000, 3,000, apparently even 5,000.

Reactions: BatVader

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Accurate, I spend most of my time searching for more and more sours.

Here's a funny take on the opposite opinion.

Craft Beer Is Dead. Gose Killed It.
goses are different. not going to read the article because, well, craft beer isn't dead (i do think it's reached a bit of a stall or lull).
goses are usually made via kettle sours. fast turnaround time, but sourness is 1 dimensional.
lambics, on the other hand, have depth galore.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Is Philips (Blue Buck and Bottle Rocket) from Victoria available in Winnipeg. I think they are easily the best brewery around right now. Started in 2001, so they have had some time to refine their brew.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
goses are different. not going to read the article because, well, craft beer isn't dead (i do think it's reached a bit of a stall or lull).
goses are usually made via kettle sours. fast turnaround time, but sourness is 1 dimensional.
lambics, on the other hand, have depth galore.
It's a satirical article, not literal.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Is Philips (Blue Buck and Bottle Rocket) from Victoria available in Winnipeg. I think they are easily the best brewery around right now. Started in 2001, so they have had some time to refine their brew.

If you ever come across anything by the Hoyne brewery, also in Victoria, treat yourself. Their pilsner is fantastic as is their hefeweizen.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Does anyone know if The LCs will be getting Guiness Black Lager again?
I haven’t seen it there for a long time and isn’t listed in their website..
Do any of the Venders sell it?
It’s a fantastic fall Lager.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Blue Buck, Short Wave, Odyssey, and Bottle Rocket are always available, I think.

Many seasonals, as well.

Excellent brewery, and one of the few to malt their own grain. Even Farmery with their small-town, local 'seed-to-glass' nonsense just sends their barley to a malt house in Ontario.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
We have a bar chain down here like that called TacoMac. So far I’ve tried over 140 different beers. I have the app on my phone and it gives you updates for when people reach milestones and any special deer releases. Some people have reached 2,000, 3,000, apparently even 5,000.

Well then, giddy-up

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The LC added a German beer recently called Hacker Pschorr Munchner Gold. Really good beer, I recommend it...especially if you prefer lager and despise anything hoppy like I do. And it’s on sale!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->