OT: Beer Thread

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Blue Buck, Short Wave, Odyssey, and Bottle Rocket are always available, I think.

Many seasonals, as well.

Excellent brewery, and one of the few to malt their own grain. Even Farmery with their small-town, local 'seed-to-glass' nonsense just sends their barley to a malt house in Ontario.
Great brewery, the Phillips Hop Box is a great buy. All very drinkable beers.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm still a big Surly fan but I'd really love to see Indeed Brewing start shipping to Winnipeg. Fabulous selection of beer including a couple of great barrel aged sours right now. Can't go wrong with a Let it Ride or a Day Tripper either.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
in two weeks, Winnipeg is getting a very small shipment of an awesome lambic (3 Fonteinen). at the Quality Inn.
if you ever go to belgium, msg me first. i'd be happy to share my itineraries and suggestions.
not knocking the two breweries (Straffe is very pretty) but there are others that are always on my hit list.
once you go sour, you never go back.
curious about this one, do you know if it's in yet?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
FYI

You can custom order most things through MBLL if it’s not available through their liquor marts or commercial partners.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
you guys can also utilize your Kenora LCBO to have private orders shipped there for free.
Probably worth some of your time to sign up to some of the Ontario private agent newsletters to see what you can buy.
We're no longer required to sell all beer by the case. There will be some great single bottle beer being made available in November.

Reactions: portamoral

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Call them
I find there’s only 2-3 people working there who actually know something about the beer. Everyone else is useless, I called and the guy had no idea what I was even talking about lol. Ended up going in person after and still nobody heard about it.:dunno:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I find there’s only 2-3 people working there who actually know something about the beer. Everyone else is useless, I called and the guy had no idea what I was even talking about lol. Ended up going in person after and still nobody heard about it.:dunno:
When I say that I have a good source can tell you that I heard directly from the Westcanada agent and from the Quality Inn manager

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
some out of town beer stuff for you guys.

It's the best 1 month of drinking in Toronto.
We had Bellwoods' Witchstock last weekend and it was excellent. The brewery talent that came over from the US and Belgium was insane. and all you can drink.
in 2 weeks, we have Cask Days. probably the best beer event in Canada.
if you guys are beer focused and want to plan a trip to Toronto, i suggest you look at timing it with those events.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Picked up both beer advent calendars from the MLCC, one from Red Racer/Parallel 49 and one Collaboration Edition, and each had one bad bottle where the cap wasn't properly applied. Like, how does that happen with modern bottling technology and what are the odds that I end up with defective products both times? I am cursed. :(

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
you guys can also utilize your Kenora LCBO to have private orders shipped there for free.
Probably worth some of your time to sign up to some of the Ontario private agent newsletters to see what you can buy.
We're no longer required to sell all beer by the case. There will be some great single bottle beer being made available in November.
A guy I work with goes to Kenora once a month to pickup some beer from his village in Germany. You can practically order any beer in the world and get it shipped to a LCBO for free...I occasionally get him to pick me up some
Rothaus beer from the black forest that I came to love when I worked there years ago.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
A guy I work with goes to Kenora once a month to pickup some beer from his village in Germany. You can practically order any beer in the world and get it shipped to a LCBO for free...I occasionally get him to pick me up some
Rothaus beer from the black forest that I came to love when I worked there years ago.
To any LCBO?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Picked up both beer advent calendars from the MLCC, one from Red Racer/Parallel 49 and one Collaboration Edition, and each had one bad bottle where the cap wasn't properly applied. Like, how does that happen with modern bottling technology and what are the odds that I end up with defective products both times? I am cursed. :(
I had a faulty batch once and called the company...they sent me a gift card for a replacement. Does not hurt to ask.

Reactions: Laine Fan

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Still choking down the New Belgium Brewing variety pack, not something I like at all, four different beers that all taste equally bad, thought Fat Tire was supposed to be so good, yuck!

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I had a faulty batch once and called the company...they sent me a gift card for a replacement. Does not hurt to ask.
I once had a flat can or two in my case of bottle rocket (Phillips Brewery).

Wrote an email and they hand delivered a case of beer and some tall boys to my work. (Gov. Office)

Buddy used to sell around $5000 of bottle rockets on a good weekend at wreck beach. I was trying to score him an umbrella as well but all I got was the beer.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I lived in Atlanta for about a year and a half back in the mid-2000's and I would frequent pubs in the Little Five Points neighborhood and would drink a beer called Duval as it was considered a "High Gravity" beer down there which was great for a Canadian boy like myself as regular beers are like water down south. If you want a higher alcohol percentage beer Duval is a great choice. And yes I attended Thrasher games when I was there.

duvel-basis-teaser.jpg

Reactions: Duke749

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I lived in Atlanta for about a year and a half back in the mid-2000's and I would frequent pubs in the Little Five Points neighborhood and would drink a beer called Duval as it was considered a "High Gravity" beer down there which was great for a Canadian boy like myself as regular beers are like water down south. If you want a higher alcohol percentage beer Duval is a great choice. And yes I attended Thrasher games when I was there.

View attachment 154223

Duvel is great. This is my go-to strong golden ale (label can vary). Comes in a convenient 750mL single serving bottle. Wheeeee. :)

Trois-Monts-75cl.jpg

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
"regular beers are like water down south"

Wow. That moldy old myth still around?

Canadian beer vs. American beer: The alcohol content battle
the only time it was true was for macrolagers. ours were 5ish %, theirs were/are 4ish%.

canadians who know nothing about beer still think American beer is subpar and is watered down. Think this changed...25 to 30 years ago?

After Belgium, I'd argue that the US is tied (or better) than Germany when it comes to beer quality. if someone disagrees with this, you know that they're sucking on a Lab Blue as they post on here

Reactions: Spock and imec

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Duvel is great. This is my go-to strong golden ale (label can vary). Comes in a convenient 750mL single serving bottle. Wheeeee. :)

Trois-Monts-75cl.jpg
the Satanic staplebeer!

i used to see that in Montreal. never in Toronto. It's fine, but the high ABV Unibrou beer are indeed quite great.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
the only time it was true was for macrolagers. ours were 5ish %, theirs were/are 4ish%.

Also important to note that the US used to label their Alcohol % by weight rather than by volume - 5% by vol = roughly 4% by weight.

Reactions: HannuJ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
What an exhaustive list of absolutely garbage beer.
the only interesting thing about macro lagers is why they became the common style. read up on how and why. it's pretty nuts that the German style (or German-inspired) took over the Brittish styles that dominated the US over 100 years ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad