Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
Preface this by saying I'm the most laid back guy ever, never even react to cheap shots unless someone is really trying to injure me.

That being said, I actually got angry the other day. Was filling in for a team, we only had five and a goalie. And to truly convey how bad the goalie is all I can really say is that he went out and bought a pro level pair of pads, that he tapes on.

So a goal before the mercy rule the other team calls a timeout. There was no chippiness, I will admit that these guys weren't very good so their eyes lit up against this goalie, shooting from places they wouldn't have normally. To me, this is the most ******* thing you can do. So I said something about it. After play started some dude takes a slapshot at me. So I block it, he gets the puck back, does it again. This is, obviously, when keeping it real went wrong for him. I returned the favor. Game got called, his ankle is probably done.

Dick move by me? Definitely. But I guess I can justify it by not throwing the first stone.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Preface this by saying I'm the most laid back guy ever, never even react to cheap shots unless someone is really trying to injure me.

That being said, I actually got angry the other day. Was filling in for a team, we only had five and a goalie. And to truly convey how bad the goalie is all I can really say is that he went out and bought a pro level pair of pads, that he tapes on.

So a goal before the mercy rule the other team calls a timeout. There was no chippiness, I will admit that these guys weren't very good so their eyes lit up against this goalie, shooting from places they wouldn't have normally. To me, this is the most ******* thing you can do. So I said something about it. After play started some dude takes a slapshot at me. So I block it, he gets the puck back, does it again. This is, obviously, when keeping it real went wrong for him. I returned the favor. Game got called, his ankle is probably done.

Dick move by me? Definitely. But I guess I can justify it by not throwing the first stone.

If someone took two blatant slapshots at me in a game a goal away from the mercy rule, the last thing I would worry about is his well-being after I fired one back and I certainly wouldn't feel like a dick. I'd say well done, all things considered.

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
Had a guy come in on a breakaway. He fired it low from the slot, and I kicked it into the corner. He then proceeded to crash my net, and give me a forearm shiver to the face. Am I wrong for saying that I'm gonna feed him my blocker if he ever crashes my net again after that?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Had a guy come in on a breakaway. He fired it low from the slot, and I kicked it into the corner. He then proceeded to crash my net, and give me a forearm shiver to the face. Am I wrong for saying that I'm gonna feed him my blocker if he ever crashes my net again after that?

I think all but one of my goalies would have done that as soon as he got hit. The other, he would definitely plan it for next time.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Theoretical answer: I would have gotten up, waited to see if the guy was sincerely sorry, and then gone full Hextall otherwise.

I say "theoretical", because the last two times it happened, before I could get up, I had at least three teammates in between us doing their best Probert impressions.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

Theoretical answer: I would have gotten up, waited to see if the guy was sincerely sorry, and then gone full Hextall otherwise.

I say "theoretical", because the last two times it happened, before I could get up, I had at least three teammates in between us doing their best Probert impressions.

Definitely not. I think that would be an acceptable response. I know even if I accidentally touch the goalie, let alone bowl into one, I fully expect a response that entices me not to do it again.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Scored a banger on a one timer from the slot that hit the back bar and came out past me. Everyone stopped playing, our team high fived, and everyone(including the other team) skated to center ice. Refs call everyone back to drop the puck in their zone because they didn't see it go in. :facepalm: Even if you didn't see it go in, couldn't you tell by the mannerisms of EVERYONE on the ice and the goalie saying "****" that the puck went in?

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Scored a banger on a one timer from the slot that hit the back bar and came out past me. Everyone stopped playing, our team high fived, and everyone(including the other team) skated to center ice. Refs call everyone back to drop the puck in their zone because they didn't see it go in. :facepalm: Even if you didn't see it go in, couldn't you tell by the mannerisms of EVERYONE on the ice and the goalie saying "****" that the puck went in?

Ah, yes. This is much more ridiculous than the "I scored but nobody knows it but me". At least the other team stopped as well.

It's happened to me maybe two or three times in all my years where I KNOW I've scored but everyone keeps playing, hoping they can get away with convincing the ref that it was the post that dinged and not the back bar. *sigh*.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Ah, yes. This is much more ridiculous than the "I scored but nobody knows it but me". At least the other team stopped as well.

It's happened to me maybe two or three times in all my years where I KNOW I've scored but everyone keeps playing, hoping they can get away with convincing the ref that it was the post that dinged and not the back bar. *sigh*.

It was very frustrating at the time as it was 0-0 and we ended up losing 3-4. The other team didn't argue or try to act like it wasn't a goal either. Now I can laugh about it though.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
bring your own water goddamit!

LOL, I have a big water bottle that I usually mix about 2/3 Gatorade and 1/3 water. People on my team get pissed at me when they drink it and I just laugh my ass off telling them to either stop being a huge ***** or to bring their own water.

I always laugh extra hard when they spray it on their face and it stings their eyes. As evil as that may make me, it can all be solved by people bringing their own water.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Yeah, it amazes me how people will drink water from anyone's bottle - what about germs?

A few weeks ago I had about 1/5 of my bottle left. It was a mix of kids and adults - so the adults were on one line, the kids on the other. I come in off a shift and my water was entirely gone. I KNOW it was a kid and it really pissed me off - if someone has a full bottle and you take a couple of swigs, fine. If they have half a bottle and you need a sip, OK. But the last 1/5 and you finish it ALL? That is so not cool.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
bring your own water goddamit!

Agreed. That really pisses me off, especially when I take the time to bring my own god damn water bottle, fill it up, and some ****face drinks most of my water and doesn't refill it.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
Real annoyed with a stupid play tonite. My buddy is on the other team, all night we're jabbering at each other and joking around. I get pulled down for a penalty and my buddy makes fun of me, I joke right back and the ref sends me to the box. Apparently he told me not to talk back (which I didn't hear) and took me off. Ridiculous, I would think that he would realize that we're joking after listening in on us talking to each other the first two periods.

But I guess if you want better refs ,play better hockey.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013

You should be allowed to reasonably protect yourself. If someone is going to crash into anyone (especially a goalie) then they should expect a reaction.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

If he wants to do that, he should be willing to take it.

That's ********. Twice? Don't feel bad for him, what a jackass. I'd do the same thing and I'm also very laid back.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Our team that went 5-15 last year will remain in the same division. The top two teams are moving up and the top two teams from the division below are moving up to ours.

I'm just going to guess we have maybe 8 wins next year and then our top 2-3 players leave and the team stays in the same division. Again.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
This occurred in a couple games over the summer.

Captaining a summer league team. Had to call in a sub goalie--had a bit of difficulty the first game we needed one but a guy came through.

This goalie did not come out for warm-ups. Subsequently let in 6 goals in the 1st, all softies. The cool thing was that we actually staged a comeback and won 7-6, but we ended up locking it down defensively and hardly allowed a clear shot.

Needed a goalie for a second game. Had to call the same guy because a different goalie bailed at the last minute. Again, didn't come out for warm-ups. Ended up losing this one, 6-3.

Argh... if you're not gonna do it for yourself, do it for the rest of us so we can get some live shots before gametime. I mean, it's more fun to play with a goalie than without one, but I've NEVER seen a goalie that adamant about NOT taking warm ups. Is it just me?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This occurred in a couple games over the summer.

Captaining a summer league team. Had to call in a sub goalie--had a bit of difficulty the first game we needed one but a guy came through.

This goalie did not come out for warm-ups. Subsequently let in 6 goals in the 1st, all softies. The cool thing was that we actually staged a comeback and won 7-6, but we ended up locking it down defensively and hardly allowed a clear shot.

Needed a goalie for a second game. Had to call the same guy because a different goalie bailed at the last minute. Again, didn't come out for warm-ups. Ended up losing this one, 6-3.

Argh... if you're not gonna do it for yourself, do it for the rest of us so we can get some live shots before gametime. I mean, it's more fun to play with a goalie than without one, but I've NEVER seen a goalie that adamant about NOT taking warm ups. Is it just me?

We have a goalie who absolutely never takes warm ups, ever.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
We have a goalie who absolutely never takes warm ups, ever.

I take about 10-15 shots and that's it.

Thing about warm-ups for goalies is that too many guys are trying to deke, pick corners, and put shots high near the goalie's head, none of which help the goalie. So I get in, get a quick feel for the puck and angles at the rink, and get the hell out before something bad happens.

Going back 15 or so years of playing goalie, I'd bet half of my injuries were because of idiotic players in warm up taking shots behind me while I was setting up for another shot, shots that came up and hit me in the neck or head, or just general unwarranted tomfoolery.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I generally wait until 2:30 is left on the clock before stepping in for warmups. That way, I don't get too keyed up, but I still get a chance to get loose.

For me, the warmups are primarily about getting the shooters ready to go - it doesn't do much for me.

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
It bothers me so much when I see teammates trying **** on goalies in warm ups. If he's out of the net then you pick corners and such. When the goalie is in the net for warm ups you put stuff into his equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad