Speculation: Bednar's future

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Obviously using Bednars first season as a base isn’t right but, this team has gotten consistently better every year.

We may have less points this year than last, but the team, and what Bednar controls, this has been a much better hockey team. Shot metrics and scoring chances have consistently gotten better every year.

No one likes all the decisions of their coaches. Other than the isles and coyotes, every fan base bitches about their coach, even the very best teams.

Seriously, Bednar has accomplished something no other Avs coach has done in over a decade. And he’s done it with the team getting better and better.

I mean, after a horrendous mid season, he got this team back on the rails and got them to go 8-0-2 to qualify for the playoffs.

Not sure you could ask for more.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Obviously using Bednars first season as a base isn’t right but, this team has gotten consistently better every year.

We may have less points this year than last, but the team, and what Bednar controls, this has been a much better hockey team. Shot metrics and scoring chances have consistently gotten better every year.

No one likes all the decisions of their coaches. Other than the isles and coyotes, every fan base *****es about their coach, even the very best teams.

Seriously, Bednar has accomplished something no other Avs coach has done in over a decade. And he’s done it with the team getting better and better.

I mean, after a horrendous mid season, he got this team back on the rails and got them to go 8-0-2 to qualify for the playoffs.

Not sure you could ask for more.

Ok, so I'm not saying I wholly disagree with anything/everything you wrote, but I wanted to comment on the bolded.

There are a number of posts in this thread (including the one directly preceding yours), people want to blame Grubauer and Varly for the mid-season skid, and hold Bednar to little (or even no) accountability. Whereas they want to praise him for the end of the season.

I think the coach shares just as much of the blame when the team falters as they did (the second such horrendous skid in his coaching tenure) JUST as the coach will share in the successes of the team as a whole.

I suspect that he'll be back next season, after all he has 1 more year left on his contract. However I would not extend him before the season.

Reactions: klozge

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still wouldn't re-up him again either. If he and the team do well, the Avs should have no issue whatsoever paying him handsomely.

I've no issue with him coming back, but I still wonder if the staff should return exactly the same. Before I thought Parkkila following Varlamov out the door was a foregone conclusion. Now I have no idea what happens there.

Reactions: RockLobster

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I still wouldn't re-up him again either. If he and the team do well, the Avs should have no issue whatsoever paying him handsomely.

I've no issue with him coming back, but I still wonder if the staff should return exactly the same. Before I thought Parkkila following Varlamov out the door was a foregone conclusion. Now I have no idea what happens there.

If Bednar is going to stick around, then I believe his assistants should be changed up. Bednar's teams tend to commit more penalties, so I would prefer to see an assistant coach who can craft a good PK strategy (I mean ideally Bednar would run a different system that would hopefully lead to less committed penalties).

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah, no doubt he's back next season IMO and its well deserved. We've essentially been a Top 5 team in the league for 66% of the season. And while we were also the 31st best team in the league for the other 33%... when you look at the goaltending we got during that stretch you really cant blame it on anything else.

That said he should not be getting an extension this summer. He has 1 year left on his deal, and IMO simply making playoffs next year should no longer be good enough. Next season the mindset needs to be not to just squeak in as a WC and likely lose first round. We need to grab a divisional spot and honestly should be able to get home ice, and then win a round or two. If we can do that then yeah Beds deserves to stay, but if not we need to at least keep our options open for finding someone else.

Making playoffs 2 years in a row is a big step forward for the team from fluke playoff run to regular playoff team, next year needs to be another step towards contender status.

I think we actually match up well against the flames and I think we upset them in round 1 so I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs extended him (2 years) this summer but they'd probably be better off if they waited until next January to see where they're at.

Bednar no doubt benefited from great goaltending down the stretch to get us in but he also had to deal with injuries to 2 of our top guys and he got everyone to step up. So kudos to him.

This is in all likelihood the last year we need to be on the edge of our seats, crossing our fingers hoping to get into the playoffs. Too much of an influx of really good young talent that's going to be added to an already solid base for us to actually have trouble 'making it' from now on, imo.

Good for Bednar, he rolled up his sleeves and got it done. He might still not be the guy to get us over the hump in the West but he'll keep us competitive and should be here at least for the next 2 years by my count. Expectations will go up after this season though.

Reactions: MacBradley

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
L5BV1t.gif

Of course, if Q wants the job then he gots’ta go!

:sarcasm:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Bednar is going to stick around, then I believe his assistants should be changed up. Bednar's teams tend to commit more penalties, so I would prefer to see an assistant coach who can craft a good PK strategy (I mean ideally Bednar would run a different system that would hopefully lead to less committed penalties).

Thing is, Bennett was brought in specifically to improve the special teams, and in Year One, he achieved precisely that. No idea why they collapsed so profoundly this season but I'm not really gunning for Bennett to be turfed. One of the many mistakes made in Bednar's first season was bringing in a very young and inexperienced coach with two assistants who were also quite young relatively speaking. Bennett was kinda perfect as he's been an assistant for a long time.

As I've said before, it's Nolan Pratt I'm kinda wary of. I don't this team's defensive scheme AT ALL. A team this fast should not be collapsing to block shots every chance they get. I haven't really loved him as an assistant from the start. I'm not pining for his ouster, but I also won't cry if they bring in someone better.

All that said, as you're pointing out Bednar has the final call on what systems to run. Even with the very positive result at the end, there are still some approaches he made this season that I simply didn't like. The penalty problems, the special teams failures, etc. MUST be addressed. And Bednar himself needs to exhibit an ability to grow and change. That's why I don't believe Bednar should get another extension until after next season. He's done really well the last two years with a team in a transitional phase. But we need to see what he can do when the stakes are considerably higher.

Reactions: Tike Myson

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I still don't think Bednar is the coach who will bring us all the way to a cup, but I've resigned myself to knowing that he'll be here another year now that he's clinched a playoff berth two years in a row. I'd definitely consider replacing Pratt though, even though his PK in 17-18 was stellar. I feel like there's room to improve on that side.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I still don't think Bednar is the coach who will bring us all the way to a cup, but I've resigned myself to knowing that he'll be here another year now that he's clinched a playoff berth two years in a row. I'd definitely consider replacing Pratt though, even though his PK in 17-18 was stellar. I feel like there's room to improve on that side.

Does Pratt run the PP too? I found that's looked stale since the crazy start to the season. I've honestly preferred how the second unit has moved the puck around much of the year.

Reactions: armedequation

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does Pratt run the PP too? I found that's looked stale since the crazy start to the season. I've honestly preferred how the second unit has moved the puck around much of the year.
Bennett runs the PP, and I actually like the way that's been run for the most part. They have some good set plays that can throw off a PK unit, and the zone entries work the vast majority of the time. I'm perfectly comfortable with keeping Bennett around, Pratt just seems like the weakest link if we're looking to upgrade the coaching.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Thing is, Bennett was brought in specifically to improve the special teams, and in Year One, he achieved precisely that. No idea why they collapsed so profoundly this season but I'm not really gunning for Bennett to be turfed. One of the many mistakes made in Bednar's first season was bringing in a very young and inexperienced coach with two assistants who were also quite young relatively speaking. Bennett was kinda perfect as he's been an assistant for a long time.

As I've said before, it's Nolan Pratt I'm kinda wary of. I don't this team's defensive scheme AT ALL. A team this fast should not be collapsing to block shots every chance they get. I haven't really loved him as an assistant from the start. I'm not pining for his ouster, but I also won't cry if they bring in someone better.

All that said, as you're pointing out Bednar has the final call on what systems to run. Even with the very positive result at the end, there are still some approaches he made this season that I simply didn't like. The penalty problems, the special teams failures, etc. MUST be addressed. And Bednar himself needs to exhibit an ability to grow and change. That's why I don't believe Bednar should get another extension until after next season. He's done really well the last two years with a team in a transitional phase. But we need to see what he can do when the stakes are considerably higher.

IMO, one of the main mistakes was not bringing in Bednar's guys early on. The Pratt thing was a little strange and I still don't completely understand it as he was hired like a month before Bednar. Just coincidence it worked out that way where Bednar's right hand man was here or did they know something was up? It was probably MacFarland's call to add him but who knows. Anyways, the other two coaches were Roy's terrible (and experienced) assistants who stayed on after he quit on the franchise.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Fire him unless he manages to win two rounds by some miracle. Let's stop keeping this charade going. We all know this team is propped up by one line and goaltending (except when it's not).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The reason I don't blame Bednar very much for those bad two months is because he was still able to get th team to perform very well even though the results weren't there. The advance stats were still very good. I think top-10 IIRC. There is nothing he could do about the goaltending. during that span. I was much more concerned with the goalie coach but it looks like that is resolved now.

What I blame Bednar for was to be really really slow in changing his starting lineup for OT. Mack/Rants/Barrie is a recipe for disaster. One of he three needs to be a more defensive player. He was also very slow in making them more patient once they have possession. They were taking way too many low % shots therefore losing possession.

I also don't blame him too much for his personnel decision. All coaches have their favorites.

I'm not sure yet if he is good enough to take us all the way but I sure am happy to give him a chance at it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
3 consecutive 2 goal deficits that they’ve overcome to get into the playoffs and I’m sure people who know nothing about the systematic approach to hockey will still complain that he “can’t make adjustments” simply because it’s an easy argument even though they can’t really explain it.

He’s a real good coach. He’s gotten a lot more out of a relatively average/poor roster than he should.

Glad he secured consecutive playoff appearances and will be back next year. Coaches have a shelf life and Bednar probably won’t be the guy who leads to the Avs to the promise land but he’ll absolutely be a high end NHL coach for a very long time.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Ok, so I'm not saying I wholly disagree with anything/everything you wrote, but I wanted to comment on the bolded.

There are a number of posts in this thread (including the one directly preceding yours), people want to blame Grubauer and Varly for the mid-season skid, and hold Bednar to little (or even no) accountability. Whereas they want to praise him for the end of the season.

I think the coach shares just as much of the blame when the team falters as they did (the second such horrendous skid in his coaching tenure) JUST as the coach will share in the successes of the team as a whole.

I suspect that he'll be back next season, after all he has 1 more year left on his contract. However I would not extend him before the season.
Well to be fair, I’m not really a person who’s advocated that Bednar is not to blame for the bad and only responsible for the good.

Undoubtedly he had a hand in both.

But when I look at the skid, I also remeber the Avs, in general playing a strong game. They were outshooting and outchancing in most games.

All coaches look good when they get good goaltending, and all coaches look bad when goaltending stinks.

However, I’m taking the goaltending out the equation. The Avs have improved on the ice every season. He’s been, IMO, prob the best coach they’ve had in a decade. Now, that’s not necessarily that great an accomplishment, but, it seems odd to want to remove the guy who’s had the most success of all our recent coaches.

If they continue to be, for the most part, the better team game by game, you’re not going to get complaints from me.

Reactions: MacBradley

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
We wouldn’t even be having this debate if our goalies didn’t totally suck ass for half of the season

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Playoff spot bought one more year.

Didn't like his fixation and stubbornness with Varly this season and I think something might be going on in the locker room (nothing major but still). AJ hinted about it a couple of podcasts ago but said it wasn't public and refused to elaborate. I don't think Mack would have lost his temper like that if the guys would respect him as a coach. They likely see him as weak.

So yeah, one more season then they need to hire someone with a spine. Hope Bedsy finds a job somewhere else though, I think he learned a lot in the last few years and he's a good person. He's also starting to show emotions...

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Seriously what more can you ask from Bednar? Back-to-back playoffs with a team that was anything but a sure thing to make it. Players are having career years, the youngsters are developing and most importantly the Avs are winning games. Honestly I don't get the hate.

Very interesting to see what happens once Bednar gets a really good team on his hands, should happen next season unless Sakic is sleeping on the job.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In 17/18 the Avs were the worst team in the league when trailing.

In 18/19 they are 8th.

IMO Bednar’s biggest fault last year was that once his team fell behind he couldn’t figure out how to gain that back. In one year he went from worst in the league to being in the top 3rd of the league in coming from behind. Plus that doesn’t factor in the loser points. If we slammed a couple of bonus OT wins together (a fault of Bednars IMO) they would probably be best in the league in that category.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Playoff spot bought one more year.

Didn't like his fixation and stubbornness with Varly this season and I think something might be going on in the locker room (nothing major but still). AJ hinted about it a couple of podcasts ago but said it wasn't public and refused to elaborate. I don't think Mack would have lost his temper like that if the guys would respect him as a coach. They likely see him as weak.

So yeah, one more season then they need to hire someone with a spine. Hope Bedsy finds a job somewhere else though, I think he learned a lot in the last few years and he's a good person. He's also starting to show emotions...

......pure unadultered speculation on your behalf. None of us have any clue what goes on in that dressing room. But if you can show me any team that went 3 wins in 20 games and not had some turbulence - I’ll call BS. The question therefore is how did he rally/change that and go 18 of the last 20 points? Certainly he’s (at least partly) responsible for that attitude and turn around.

Last edited:

James G

Jan 1, 2018
In 17/18 the Avs were the worst team in the league when trailing.

In 18/19 they are 8th.

IMO Bednar’s biggest fault last year was that once his team fell behind he couldn’t figure out how to gain that back. In one year he went from worst in the league to being in the top 3rd of the league in coming from behind. Plus that doesn’t factor in the loser points. If we slammed a couple of bonus OT wins together (a fault of Bednars IMO) they would probably be best in the league in that category.

Noteworthy, but IMO “the youngest team in the league” last year couldn’t figure out a way to come from behind, not necessarily on the coach. Team needed to grow. And will continue to grow in confidence and skill level, we would all hope and expect.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
......pure unadultered speculation on your behalf. None of us have any clue what goes on in that dressing room. But if you can show me any team that went 3 wins in 20 games and not had some turbulence - I’ll call BS. The question therefore is how did he rally/change that and go 18 of the last 20 points? Certainly he’s (at least partly) responsible for that attitude and turn around.

I cited my source.

Your account history is...hmm...strange to say the least. Are you one of Jared's family member? Close IRL friend perhaps? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
I cited my source.

Your account history is...hmm...strange to say the least. Are you one of Jared's family member? Close IRL friend perhaps? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I dont know your source A.J. is in the locker room. I’m not, nor anyone I know. Hence still speculation it seems to me. Frankly, MHS articles originally prompted my defence of the coach.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3