Bednar gets a year extension

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
He got the job at the worst possible time. Right when you're supposed to start the engine, somebody walks in and disassembles it in front of you. I liked him since the beginning and knew he was the right choice for the young club.

Since last summer the only thing I wanted changed was the Duchene situation. After that I didn't want to see them make big changes and I hope they continue on this path for the foreseeable future. Offering a big contract to a free agent like Tavares could really mess up the chemistry again. Instead they should wait on guys like Timmins and Makar, add some youth similar to Kerfoot's case and see what kind of impact they make. I'm not expecting any splashes on July.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bednar made me take notice when, right off the bat, he tried a very young Nikita Zadorov on the top pairing with Erik Johnson, when conventional wisdom would've had him use a veteran instead. He's proven that he will play young players and doesn't keep them on a short leash. Compare that to what Pavel Buchnevich said recently about Alain Vigneault, who seemingly punished any youngsters on the roster for even the slightest mistake. And unlike a lot of old-school coaches, Bednar used his "doghouse" the right way in that there was an actual way out.

I also love the fact that his system doesn't emphasize shot-blocking at all. Absolutely hate defensive systems like that, and it looks really bad with a team like Colorado's, they need to stay aggressive and use their speed to their advantage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Bednar is still a good coach, but his inability of in-game adjustments is starting to become a really troubling weakness of his methodology.

Today (NSH/COL), you saw pretty much the Avs get stopped in all their tracks in every gameplan that Bednar initiated. Most notably, Avs really like that drop pass by the defenders for the winger once they win the faceoff in the offencive zone. Well, Nashville read this to a tee and ate up that play, which is intended to create space for the winger since the defencive forward will be suckered into following the defender until he drops it off.

It hasn't been only that either, his personnel decisions have also left questions like scratching Nemeth for one game, playing Barberio, and then scratching Mark. And some of the losses and how the Avs lost ultimately goes back to Bednar in some of those games and perhaps trusting his players a bit too much. Nobody thinks we can win the Cup this season due to the obvious holes in our club, but playoffs is a manageable benchmark considering how much our goaltending and defencive core has improved with the addition of the triple threat line. Not sure he's getting the best out of his players currently.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think Bednar is still a good coach, but his inability of in-game adjustments is starting to become a really troubling weakness of his methodology.

Today (NSH/COL), you saw pretty much the Avs get stopped in all their tracks in every gameplan that Bednar initiated. Most notably, Avs really like that drop pass by the defenders for the winger once they win the faceoff in the offencive zone. Well, Nashville read this to a tee and ate up that play, which is intended to create space for the winger since the defencive forward will be suckered into following the defender until he drops it off.

It hasn't been only that either, his personnel decisions have also left questions like scratching Nemeth for one game, playing Barberio, and then scratching Mark. And some of the losses and how the Avs lost ultimately goes back to Bednar in some of those games and perhaps trusting his players a bit too much. Nobody thinks we can win the Cup this season due to the obvious holes in our club, but playoffs is a manageable benchmark considering how much our goaltending and defencive core has improved with the addition of the triple threat line. Not sure he's getting the best out of his players currently.
Calm down. It's way too early for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Scotlander

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not really tbh...the Avs controlled the game for the last 40 minutes and could have at least gotten to OT if not for the offside stuff. My biggest concerns are the PP, OT and the extra attacker at the end of the game. Those seem to be the biggest issues with the team.

Also I dont like that Bednar always sits on his time out, but it's way too early to make a call on him right now.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

No adjustments? They came out in the second tighter and more physical. And that led to what should have been a 2-2 game going into the third. They were the better team in the 2nd until that point at the end. If that's not making adjustments then idk what is. The Wilson line came out flying in the 2nd and 3rd busting their asses and almost got the team back into it, despite the top line being junk again.

Name a coach in this league that doesn't have an infatuation with a crappy player or two. Every single one of them does. Every one of them makes questionable personnel decisions. It's part of coaching.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not so worried about the in-game adjustments, it's the sloppy puck-handling and the fact that the two best defensemen on the team are simply not carrying their weight. Doesn't matter what adjustments are made, this team isn't going to win games until EJ and Barrie figure it the f*** out. Injuries up front ain't helping either.

I will say his lineup decisions are frustrating me more than a little, and the fact that AJG has been called up again and will be lucky to get a shift just adds to that. But as others have said, even the best coaches have some maddening tendencies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No adjustments? They came out in the second tighter and more physical. And that led to what should have been a 2-2 game going into the third. They were the better team in the 2nd until that point at the end. If that's not making adjustments then idk what is. The Wilson line came out flying in the 2nd and 3rd busting their asses and almost got the team back into it, despite the top line being junk again.

Name a coach in this league that doesn't have an infatuation with a crappy player or two. Every single one of them does. Every one of them makes questionable personnel decisions. It's part of coaching.
This team has started off games terribly in some games and extremely slow in others. It's just human nature to get a talking to between intermissions and come off with more desire and passion. I am talking about tactics, not telling his team to up the intensity or anything else. Adjusting to other teams is something he can work on instead of focusing purely on our players.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Talk to me about Quenneville. What are his strengths and weaknesses? If the losing streak continues, would you want to see him replace Bednar?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Quenneville is a coach from the previous generation and isn't what this team needs. Let him go to LA.

Reactions: Foppberg

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not sure Q would be the answer anymore either ( though he'd probably do wonders for our defense at least) but I'm not ready to give up on Bednar yet either, see how the rest of the season pans out.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not sure Q would be the answer anymore either ( though he'd probably do wonders for our defense at least) but I'm not ready to give up on Bednar yet either, see how the rest of the season pans out.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
On the contrary, Q has always stressed up-tempo, offensive-minded hockey. His style never gets old. His only hangups are making a power play work consistently and how he tends to handle goalies. The whole "he doesn't like young players" thing is a myth, if that were true a whole lot of young players over the years, like Debrincat, would never have flourished under him.

That all said, way too early to be calling for the axe to be swung in Colorado. There's still time to turn this thing around, but Bednar is definitely mishandling things at present.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well deserved. I thought he did a tremendous job with this team down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. And I thought he did a good job navigating through the goaltending issues during our poor stretch last season and managed to save the season from those struggles.

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad