Bednar gets a year extension

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I think re-signing Bednar is a good move. We could definitely do a whole lot worse. I really like his 5v5 system and stoic demeanor. I just don't always agree or understand his lineup choices.

I hope we get some new assistant coaches along the way. That's where I think most of my frustration stemmed from last season. Failure to adjust the PP after the book was out on it, really REALLY hurt the team. It was on pace to be one of the best ever half way through the season. To killing the teams momentum and invigorating the opposition.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
66232396.jpg

Like him a lot. He'll bring us to the promise land.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I think Bednar is still a good coach, but his inability of in-game adjustments is starting to become a really troubling weakness of his methodology.

Today (NSH/COL), you saw pretty much the Avs get stopped in all their tracks in every gameplan that Bednar initiated. Most notably, Avs really like that drop pass by the defenders for the winger once they win the faceoff in the offencive zone. Well, Nashville read this to a tee and ate up that play, which is intended to create space for the winger since the defencive forward will be suckered into following the defender until he drops it off.

It hasn't been only that either, his personnel decisions have also left questions like scratching Nemeth for one game, playing Barberio, and then scratching Mark. And some of the losses and how the Avs lost ultimately goes back to Bednar in some of those games and perhaps trusting his players a bit too much. Nobody thinks we can win the Cup this season due to the obvious holes in our club, but playoffs is a manageable benchmark considering how much our goaltending and defencive core has improved with the addition of the triple threat line. Not sure he's getting the best out of his players currently.
I'm not his biggest fan, and agree with a lot of what you said. I think he out coached Peters in the first round, so that gives me hope that he'll continue to grow. I have no problem with the extension as it's not a guaranteed contract it's more about the message it sends organization wide, that hard work and success gets rewarded, which this team hasn't always done.

Edit: didnt realize this was a bumped thread and an old post. My bad lol.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bednar getting another extension probably deserved a new thread. I thought this was just bumping the old one.

Interesting approach Sakic is taking with these short term extensions. Bednar deserves it though keeping this group together and helping them claw they way into the playoffs.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bednar getting another extension probably deserved a new thread. I thought this was just bumping the old one.

Interesting approach Sakic is taking with these short term extensions. Bednar deserves it though keeping this group together and helping them claw they way into the playoffs.

So he gets credit for helping them claw their way into the playoffs, but not the blame for how inconsistent the team was all season, and the fact that they had to run the table in order to get in?

It's cool, lets all just remember the playoffs and fall completely into recency bias.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he, like Sakic, has learned on the job. And I'd add I think he might be the perfect coach for this team because he's not an established veteran bench boss who leans too hard on veteran talent. He's willing to try new things and put young players in a position to succeed, which IMO puts him ahead of a lot of other more established coaches.

He also had quite possibly the toughest trial-by-fire of any coach in NHL history, because most coaches who have a rookie season like that don't usually stay on. Reminds me of the worst season in Nuggets history, which almost became the worst season in NBA history, and poor Bill Hanzlik paid the price. Only difference was that team was stripped bare, so it was supposed to suck.

Anyhow, even the best coaches don't look good if they don't have the goaltending. I'm glad he somehow kept them digging away and playing the right way even when the goalies were struggling. Eventually they figured it out and the team went on an insane run to make the postseason. Now we'll see how he does when he actually has the horses to really make a run at things.

I'm starting to think the "lack of in-game adjustments" thing is starting to be a bit of a misnomer. I've seen him make those adjustments, whether it's switching up the lines or trying to stretch out the opposing defense, but again it's one of those things that's come over time.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Great to see Bednar get rewarded for getting this team back into the playoffs. I’m actually surprised it wasn’t a longer extension.

I never felt like he got out-coached at all in the playoffs and he does a nice job with the players.

His work with MacKinnon deserves recognition. MacK used to play with too much urgency and over-stick handle the puck, but that’s improved since Bednar got to town. Not sure how much of that has to do with Bednar, but I’ll give him some of the credit.

Hopefully he can help develop our young guys who are coming to the NHL level.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So he gets credit for helping them claw their way into the playoffs, but not the blame for how inconsistent the team was all season, and the fact that they had to run the table in order to get in?

It's cool, lets all just remember the playoffs and fall completely into recency bias.

I think he should get both, but goaltending played a big part in that too. In fact I thought during the season that whether they made the playoffs or not, would decide his fate.

This contract basically just turns his previous one year deal into the traditional three year deal for a coach. So they went with a prove it sort of deal, and this is the reward for proving he can guide the team to the playoffs.

Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah I’ve started to come around on Bednar as a coach but he’s also coached the 16-17 season, which I know isn’t all on him but it’s still the worst season of the last 20/30 years and we had that horrid stretch this year where they lost like 21 of 25 games or something.

I think he brings some really good things to the table but this team hasn’t been consistent since he’s been here(well I guess except for 16/17) and that’s gonna be the next step for him as a coach, getting the team to come out and play well every night.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017

The inconsistency last year had a lot to do with a stretch where both their goaltenders were struggling badly. And the team has progressed every season he's been here, getting one win from the WCF last year.

There's no reason to get uppity about the extension. He's being rewarded for the progress the team has made and it's the right move. Keeping coaches in perpetual lame duck status may make certain fans happy but it's a poor way to go about running an organization. Having the coach who has done well under contract keeps continuity and establishes organizational hierarchy. And it's not like they are guaranteed contracts, if he the team suddenly starts to tune him out and falter, they can fire him. Yes, that is not the greatest thing for Mr. Kroenke's wallet, but he can afford it, and it's pretty dumb for fans to be concerned about the owners wallet.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think he should get both, but goaltending played a big part in that too. In fact I thought during the season that whether they made the playoffs or not, would decide his fate.

This contract basically just turns his previous one year deal into the traditional three year deal for a coach. So they went with a prove it sort of deal, and this is the reward for proving he can guide the team to the playoffs.

There were issues with consistency all season all over the roster even outside of the goal-tending stretch. I'm just saying that I wasn't impressed with him during the regular season. I made a joke that Bednar is the Wilson of coaches, but it's held true. I liked how he handled the team both times in the playoffs, but he was absolutely not at that level during the regular season.

One year would have been fine IMO. Two makes me scratch my head. Bednar needs to prove he can get this team into the playoffs without one or two goals being the difference in getting in.

There is very easily a scenario where he should be fired in the middle of this upcoming season. Giving him a extra year of security would have been fine, just like last year.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The inconsistency last year had a lot to do with a stretch where both their goaltenders were struggling badly. And the team has progressed every season he's been here, getting one win from the WCF last year.

There's no reason to get uppity about the extension. He's being rewarded for the progress the team has made and it's the right move. Keeping coaches in perpetual lame duck status may make certain fans happy but it's a poor way to go about running an organization. Having the coach who has done well under contract keeps continuity and establishes organizational hierarchy. And it's not like they are guaranteed contracts, if he the team suddenly starts to tune him out and falter, they can fire him. Yes, that is not the greatest thing for Mr. Kroenke's wallet, but he can afford it, and it's pretty dumb for fans to be concerned about the owners wallet.

I stopped reading at uppity.. lmao

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There were issues with consistency all season all over the roster even outside of the goal-tending stretch. I'm just saying that I wasn't impressed with him during the regular season. I made a joke that Bednar is the Wilson of coaches, but it's held true. I liked how he handled the team both times in the playoffs, but he was absolutely not at that level during the regular season.

One year would have been fine IMO. Two makes me scratch my head. Bednar needs to prove he can get this team into the playoffs without one or two goals being the difference in getting in.

There is very easily a scenario where he should be fired in the middle of this upcoming season. Giving him a extra year of security would have been fine, just like last year.

Given the lack of depth and top-heavy talent we had the last couple years, I think he’s done a good job.

Now that we have more talent and an ascending roster, the expectations are going to get higher for Bednar every year.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I’ve started to come around on Bednar as a coach but he’s also coached the 16-17 season, which I know isn’t all on him but it’s still the worst season of the last 20/30 years and we had that horrid stretch this year where they lost like 21 of 25 games or something.

I think he brings some really good things to the table but this team hasn’t been consistent since he’s been here(well I guess except for 16/17) and that’s gonna be the next step for him as a coach, getting the team to come out and play well every night.

Yeah I am definitely not saying Bednar shouldn't have been extended at all. I just don't get a multi-year extension giving him three total when I believe there is a legit scenario where he is fired either mid season or next off-season. Or at least there should be enough expectations with this team that a scenario like that exists.

I don't like the mindset that it portrays personally.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I am definitely not saying Bednar shouldn't have been extended at all. I just don't get a multi-year extension giving him three total when I believe there is a legit scenario where he is fired either mid season or next off-season. Or at least there should be enough expectations with this team that a scenario like that exists.

I don't like the mindset that is portrays personally.

I think that Bednar is a good coach but I agree that I don’t think a 2 year extension is warranted quite yet. Had we finished 2nd in the division this season and been much more consistent that’s where I think the big extension talk should start.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought he should've gotten more than one year when this was previously rumoured so I'm good with this.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I thought it was very well explained a while back through advanced stats (credit to Cousin Eddie) that the team itself was never inconsistent. The advanced stats, and the eye test, clearly showed that goaltending was our biggest issue from the beginning of Dec to the end of Jan. The team kept playing very well most nights but our goaltending couldn't stop a beach ball.

With that said there is one other area that was pretty bad and it was OT. That one was on Bednar as far as I am concerned. He was way too slow in splitting Mack, Rant and Barrie. Once he did after the TDL we finally started to win in OT or at least take it to SO.

Well deserved contract. The guys love to play for him obviously.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I mean... the Avs played some of our best hockey all year during that stretch of losses. We dominated possession many of those nights whether we were down in the game, tied in the game, or ahead in the game.

It wasn't Bednars fault that our goaltending combined for an .850 sv% over the course of like 30 games of the season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't like the mindset that it portrays personally.

I think you're being a bit extreme. It's not like they're paying him a mint to coach, and giving him something that resembles security is not going to throw a culture of accountability out the window. If they end up firing him, I think they'll be able to shoulder the costs.

Put it this way, I bet his salary doesn't even exceed what they're paying Brooks Orpik this upcoming season.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad