Bednar gets a year extension

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I still think his third year will be the real deciding year for him as a coach. So far we have one awful year and one great year to go by. I have a feeling if they had happened in reverse order nobody would be happy to keep him now. I guess it's best for him to have some job security next year so he can have more freedom, but I'm not ready to crown him a great coach just yet until he can repeat the success.
Well obviously. The reason we are happy is because of the steps forward he took as a coach and I think we're willing to look past the first year due to circumstances. Obviously the third year is important but he helped this team improve in cohesion, he empowered players and seems to have learned a lot from the first season. I think he's gained the players and fans trust and respect.

Reactions: MacBradley

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well obviously. The reason we are happy is because of the steps forward he took as a coach and I think we're willing to look past the first year due to circumstances. Obviously the third year is important but he helped this team improve in cohesion, he empowered players and seems to have learned a lot from the first season. I think he's gained the players and fans trust and respect.
My point is that the most recent outing is not necessarily the norm for anybody, player or staff. Right now, he still has a 50% failure rate as a coach. I'd just like to see him get it below 50%, because I guarantee that if next season goes poorly nobody will remember all the nice things we're saying about him now and the knives will be out again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This was needed after this season... he did a good job turning things around and having him with just a year left on his contract would send a bad message all around. This buys him next season to prove this season wasn't a flash in the pan without all parties looking over their shoulders.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
My point is that the most recent outing is not necessarily the norm for anybody, player or staff. Right now, he still has a 50% failure rate as a coach. I'd just like to see him get it below 50%, because I guarantee that if next season goes poorly nobody will remember all the nice things we're saying about him now and the knives will be out again.
I guess. But I think this can be said about most things. Performance is always expected. Especially at this level. People turn on players for bad shifts. If a coach/team has an entire bad year I would expect we would want changes. I do think it is important to try to figure out exactly what went wrong rather than looking for a scapegoat though.

Reactions: Pure

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Very happy with that. Having to play young players with no job security would have sucked. Now he can concentrate on development instead of strictly trying to win at all cost.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well deserved. I wish he would use a time out every now and again but other then that he did a great job with the kids. Next year its playoffs or bust though. We might have sneaked up on some teams but next season thats gone. Bednar has to have them prepared.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not setting the bar at "playoffs" necessarily. Obviously no playoffs next year would be extremely disheartening, but I also know that every single team in the Central will be going for it. Either they're already elite or will be aggressively retooling in the offseason. I also don't expect teams like Arizona, Calgary, and yes, even Edmonton to suck next season like they did this time around. The division, and the conference as a whole is just gonna be a bitch...the margin for error is so small. No teams in the west are truly rebuilding right now. Even Vancouver is going to try and stay competitive, even though they really shouldn't.

There's just no single team I'm comfortable in saying "Yep, they're gonna be near the bottom of the league next year." Everyone thought Colorado and Vegas were gonna be those teams this year. Look what happened. In order for some teams to win, others gotta lose. I wouldn't mind Chicago having another garbage year, and I certainly would loooooooove to watch the Wylde completely implode next season, but I'm not betting on it. And yes, I know it would be wonderfully beneficial for the Sens to bottom out, but I'll wait to see what they do this offseason.

I do absolutely want to see progress toward the Ultimate Goal, but that might mean some minor setbacks along the way. They need to continue playing the youth, and let them work out whatever kinks in their respective games might come up. It'll be up to the players (and the coaches) to see that everyone takes that next step, including MacKinnon.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well deserved. I wish he would use a time out every now and again but other then that he did a great job with the kids. Next year its playoffs or bust though. We might have sneaked up on some teams but next season thats gone. Bednar has to have them prepared.
Timeouts are useless now. A timeout is 10x less valuable than being able to undo a goal against, and if you use the TO you lose the ability to do that for the rest of the game. I have no problem with him never using it, it's the rule that's idiotic.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm really hopeful that we can see him get above .500 in his win percentage guys!

Seriously though, I'm glad he's extended. And for anyone wondering why only one year, I assume it's because he originally signed a 3 year contract that contained a team option for a 4th year.

By the way, my avatar is Bednar's face after hearing this news. He's basically jumping for joy.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Should have waited a year. Next year we will know where this team stands.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
1 year extension is perfect. We can see next year if it was all just lightning in a bottle again like the Roy fiasco or if he can consistently steer the team in the right direction.

Reactions: Pure

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I didn’t think last year was his fault, and I think what we saw this year is more along the lines of what he can bring to a team. For our super young squad, I think a younger yet emotionally reserved coach is a good thing. He’s also won at every level he’s ever coached, so I think he’s a smart coach, too. He’ll see what needs to be done to win in the NHL, and then do his best to make that happen with the team he’s given.

I’m definitely glad he’s here for longer than just next year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Should have waited a year. Next year we will know where this team stands.
There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to wait a year. Worst case scenario he's getting fired with a year left on contract, big deal.

Reactions: MarkT

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Well, I was very wrong before the season started. I wanted Bendar gone. If the locker room was split between the vets and the kids, that must have been a mess for a young rookie coach to walk into at the last minute. I'm sure trying to direct over a cup winner and a future HOF player isn't easy for a coach with no prior NHL experience.

I liked in particular, how, this season Bendar stopped shuffling lines around every shift like last year. It appears that Bendar's nerves of coaching in the NHL could have cooled off a lot.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I liked in particular, how, this season Bendar stopped shuffling lines around every shift like last year. It appears that Bendar's nerves of coaching in the NHL could have cooled off a lot.
The forward lines, at least. The defensive pairings were still classic Blendnar. I went to one game and I'm pretty certain I saw every D out with every other D during the game. Some of that can be attributed to partial changes but it didn't happen to the forwards nearly as often so I don't know WTF he was trying to do with some of those combos.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I liked the hire when it was made, I thought he was given a roster fit for Roy rather than his style last year.
I wanted to see how he did with his own staff and a roster structured in a manner more befitting his preferred style. I think we saw his impact this year and I believe he will be fine moving forward.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s pretty much the least they could do after he took us to the playoffs and is getting some Adams consideration. 1 extra year is nothing. But I’m sure Bednar appreciates that little extra bit of security.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I'm really hopeful that we can see him get above .500 in his win percentage guys!

Seriously though, I'm glad he's extended. And for anyone wondering why only one year, I assume it's because he originally signed a 3 year contract that contained a team option for a 4th year.

By the way, my avatar is Bednar's face after hearing this news. He's basically jumping for joy.

I'm truly surprised someone was able to snap a pic of him showing that much emotion.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The forward lines, at least. The defensive pairings were still classic Blendnar. I went to one game and I'm pretty certain I saw every D out with every other D during the game. Some of that can be attributed to partial changes but it didn't happen to the forwards nearly as often so I don't know WTF he was trying to do with some of those combos.

I think I've got him figured out. Basically, when he doesn't really know what a player is, he moves him around a lot on different lines to see how he plays with different guys. When you see him not shift a line around, it's because he has the guys on that line figured out. Last year, he didn't know anyone on the team, so the whole lineup was being shifted around. This year with the forwards, the Soderberg line and the MacKinnon line were both full of guys Bednar had figured out, so they stayed stable. The rest of the guys were new so Bednar had to figure them out. The same was true this year for the defense, with Nemeth and Girard being new and the constantly rotating crop of new bottom pair guys.

So next season, if we bring in any new players, you can expect to see them play on a bunch of different lines/pairings for a while.

This also makes me wary of deadline acquisitions when Bendar is the coach, because it seems to take him quite some time to figure out some players, and we wouldn't want to be going into the playoffs with him still shuffling the lines around.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So I feel it's going to play out this way with Bednar : I think the Avalanche will give him a 1-year extension after this season so he doesn't go into next year as a 'lame-duck' coach. It's the right move, he deserves it and more importantly it doesn't tie us in for too long and it fits within a reasonable time frame. So Bednar will prove to be the guy going forward or he'll be replaced with an elite coach in Dec 2019 or something like that.

Called it!
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/143950293/

It's the right move. As Expat said, he was impressive the way he handled himself and the team during the playoffs. I'm liking him more and more even though I don't agree with everything he does. The players have bought in, that's the most important thing and when you hear things like "this is the tighest room I've ever been in" from Andrighetto or Barberio (I forget which one) I think it speaks volumes to how great of a job he did coaching the team this year.

Hopefully, management gives him some help this summer so that qualifying for the playoffs won't be as much of a struggle. We had a lot of things 'align' for us this year and a season can go south real quick, so hopefully they add a few really good pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad